: Front Headrests

Ponyman
07-26-10, 06:28 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it in the search menu. Are the front headrests removable, and how? I found the thread on the rear headrests, but nothing on the front. Thanks Rick

coachk
07-26-10, 07:00 PM
I don't want to remove mine, I just want to "straighten them out". Any way to cut down on the forward angle?

sube5186
07-26-10, 07:32 PM
As far as I know, the front headrests are not removable, at least not customer removable. The rear ones have a hidden button on the side of the plastic base where the posts go into the seat. Push this button toward the post and then slide the headrest out.

Can't adjust the angle either. I can see where this might not be suited to some people. Personally, it's already at the perfect angle for me, and I'm real finicky about this. I've been in cars that seem to constantly push your head forward. Thank God GM got this right. Keep in mind they actually aren't "headrests". They're head "restraints", designed to prevent whiplash in the event of a rear collision.

Sube

stevec5375
07-26-10, 09:15 PM
As far as I know, the front headrests are not removable, at least not customer removable. The rear ones have a hidden button on the side of the plastic base where the posts go into the seat. Push this button toward the post and then slide the headrest out.

Can't adjust the angle either. I can see where this might not be suited to some people. Personally, it's already at the perfect angle for me, and I'm real finicky about this. I've been in cars that seem to constantly push your head forward. Thank God GM got this right. Keep in mind they actually aren't "headrests". They're head "restraints", designed to prevent whiplash in the event of a rear collision.

Sube

Somewhere I read that the proper height for head restraints is that the top of the restraint should be even with the top of your ears.

sube5186
07-26-10, 09:25 PM
Somewhere I read that the proper height for head restraints is that the top of the restraint should be even with the top of your ears.

I also remember reading that. I think that was the "old" standard. Now, apparently the correct position is the top of the headrest even with the top of your head (page 2-2).

Sube

Nichelle
07-26-10, 11:35 PM
I know this has probably been discussed before, but I can't find it in the search menu. Are the front headrests removable, and how? I found the thread on the rear headrests, but nothing on the front. Thanks Rick

Rick -

Yes, they are. Check out this thread: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/196241-headrest-monitors.html

I didn't figure it out but someone else did (posts 13 and 20)

Nichelle
07-26-10, 11:39 PM
As far as I know, the front headrests are not removable, at least not customer removable.

They're removable but they certainly didn't make it easy.

Ponyman
07-27-10, 08:21 AM
Thanks Nichelle. don't know why that didn't turn up in the search I did. I bought some of the SeatArmour covers that Auro Pride sells. Basically just a heavy towel with the Cadillac logo and name on them. They slip on over the headrests, but if they were sewed together in between the two headrest posts, they would stay in place much better. My wife said if I could get the headrests off that she would sew them together. I might rethink this, my luck I would mess up the leather somehow in the removal process. By the way, those Seat Armour covers are pretty nice. Keep the seat a lot cooler to sit one, protect the leather, and are removable to wash.

sube5186
07-27-10, 08:39 AM
Thanks Nichelle. don't know why that didn't turn up in the search I did. I bought some of the SeatArmour covers that Auro Pride sells. Basically just a heavy towel with the Cadillac logo and name on them. They slip on over the headrests, but if they were sewed together in between the two headrest posts, they would stay in place much better. My wife said if I could get the headrests off that she would sew them together. I might rethink this, my luck I would mess up the leather somehow in the removal process. By the way, those Seat Armour covers are pretty nice. Keep the seat a lot cooler to sit one, protect the leather, and are removable to wash.

Ponyman, I have the exact same seat cover. I don't think sewing them together in between the two headrest posts will fix the problem. The problem is the sides of the cover slide inward. This happens from the two top corners. I've found that the best method is to position them as best you can first, and then reposition them once you're seated. I only use mine when I come from the gym and I'm all sweaty. They would be a headache to use all of the time.

Sube

Ponyman
07-27-10, 02:07 PM
Sube, I got mine yesterday, from another vendor. All they listed were black and grey, so we got the grey ones. Looks ok with the shale interior. Then after I ordered them I was looking at teh AuroPride website and saw they were also available in tan. I bt it would have matched the interior closer. What color did you get?

sube5186
07-28-10, 11:19 AM
Sube, I got mine yesterday, from another vendor. All they listed were black and grey, so we got the grey ones. Looks ok with the shale interior. Then after I ordered them I was looking at teh AuroPride website and saw they were also available in tan. I bt it would have matched the interior closer. What color did you get?

You're going to hate me for this, but the tan matches my shale interior perfectly. I didn't want a color that would make it look obvious that there was a seat cover on. The tan does just that. It blends nicely.

Sube

Ponyman
07-28-10, 06:53 PM
Well, I now have a set of tan covers coming. Told my wife that they match your car and she wanted them. Oh well, there were a couple of other little goodies i wanted, and I got to take advantage of their free shipping. If you spend that much for a car what is an extra 60 bucks. If anybody wants them, I now have a set of basically new grey SeatArmour covers that I would let go cheap.

cz9h3d
07-29-10, 09:24 AM
So help me understand. You want to put a "custom towel" with a rather large Cadillac logo on the seat because.....? Is this to protect it from a pet? Is it because the leather gets too warm in the summer? Do they stay on all the time?

stevec5375
07-29-10, 09:33 AM
An earlier post by Sube in this thread clearly states that he uses the cover after the gym to prevent the sweat from getting all over the seat. I think that sounds like an excellent idea and am considering purchasing one for that exact reason. Week after week of sweating skin on a shale interior can only result in ground in grime and discoloration after a time, not to mention the smell.

sube5186
07-29-10, 10:28 AM
An earlier post by Sube in this thread clearly states that he uses the cover after the gym to prevent the sweat from getting all over the seat. I think that sounds like an excellent idea and am considering purchasing one for that exact reason. Week after week of sweating skin on a shale interior can only result in ground in grime and discoloration after a time, not to mention the smell.

Thanks Steve for saving me the hassle of repeating myself. People.....read the entire thread before you post. Whoever would like "corrosive" perspiration all over their brand new leather seats, please raise your hand.

Sube

Ponyman
07-29-10, 11:12 AM
My wife will pretty much keep one on the driver's seat all the time. She already had a tan towel on the lower part of the seat. I know some people will think it ridiclous, but it does protect the leather, and it is cooler than sitting down on a hot seat, even with the ventilated seats we have. We are VERY picky with our car, and want to keep it as pristine as possible. Just wish I had seen the tan ones first. Oh, Well, that's life.

GMJim
07-29-10, 11:15 AM
Thanks Steve for saving me the hassle of repeating myself. People.....read the entire thread before you post. Whoever would like "corrosive" perspiration all over their brand new leather seats, please raise your hand.

Sube

Do they not have showers there? A hose?

sube5186
07-29-10, 11:25 AM
Do they not have showers there? A hose?

Yes, but I prefer to shower at home. Had issues with perverts lurking in gym showers before. :eek: Besides, the entire locker room STINKS!!!

Any more personal questions? :ill:

Sube

stevec5375
07-29-10, 01:02 PM
Yes, but I prefer to shower at home. Had issues with perverts lurking in gym showers before. :eek: Besides, the entire locker room STINKS!!!

Any more personal questions? :ill:

Sube

You must be one hot dude if the "perverts" are after you. :eyebrow: