: OnStar stepping ther game up

mannyz
07-26-10, 02:23 AM
Well it seems there's going to be some more perks around the corner. I bet the remote start thing is only for cars already equipped with the feature from factory. Does anyone know why remote start isn't installed into manual cars? I know there's a risk if the car is left in gear but cant it be programmed so that it has to be out of gear and emergency brake applied for it to work?

Link: http://money.cnn.com/2010/07/22/autos/onstar_app/index.htm

Gary Wells
07-26-10, 05:18 AM
If I were to guess, I would guess that the manual transmission would need more sensors added to it which are not on there now, and GM has no reason to add them.

cadigo's
07-27-10, 08:30 PM
On the M-6 the clutch must be depressed before the car can be started. Thats why there's no remote start.

fasterthanrays
07-27-10, 08:58 PM
On the M-6 the clutch must be depressed before the car can be started. Thats why there's no remote start.

Could be easily bypassed.
Bypass the clutch, have neutral switch installed. Done. Remote start for manuals. This would assume that you have your parking brake up. Who leaves their car in neutral and leaves the parking brake down anyways.

sharpermd
07-28-10, 01:26 AM
Ok, just a story...

I'm in the medical field, and was consulted by the trauma service to help out with a gentleman with two broken legs, and extensive soft tissue damage. When I asked what happened, I was told by the trauma team that he "ran himself over" with his car.

Now, this reminds me of a Monty Python sketch I saw years ago. So, while I really want to help this guy, I am DYING to find out how he managed this. I treat his injuries for several weeks, and when he's well on the way to recovery, I can't take it any more. I ask him, "How EXACTLY did you get injured?"

Well, it turns out he is a repo-man, and had repossessed this particular vehicle (I forgot to ask what make/model! DOH!). While he was attempting to move it from his lot, he hit the remote start button, not realizing the significance that A) the car was a manual, B) the car was in gear, C) the clutch switch had been bypassed, and D) the vehicle was pointed straight at him.

Needless to say, the car pinned him against the garage in his tow yard.

Please, feel free to draw whatever conclusions from this that you will.......:stirpot:

mannyz
07-28-10, 01:32 AM
That sounds like a rigged job someone did in their garage. With the old parking brake, you could engage it but still doesn't have enough grip on it to stop the car if it launched forward. With the EPB, that would be eliminated since its fully engaged once the vehicle is stopped. I know it disengages when you move forward but I don't think its instant. I believe it would stall out before it kept going. I'm sure there's a correct way of doing this..

4gear70
07-28-10, 01:38 AM
Ok, just a story...

I'm in the medical field, and was consulted by the trauma service to help out with a gentleman with two broken legs, and extensive soft tissue damage. When I asked what happened, I was told by the trauma team that he "ran himself over" with his car.

Now, this reminds me of a Monty Python sketch I saw years ago. So, while I really want to help this guy, I am DYING to find out how he managed this. I treat his injuries for several weeks, and when he's well on the way to recovery, I can't take it any more. I ask him, "How EXACTLY did you get injured?"

Well, it turns out he is a repo-man, and had repossessed this particular vehicle (I forgot to ask what make/model! DOH!). While he was attempting to move it from his lot, he hit the remote start button, not realizing the significance that A) the car was a manual, B) the car was in gear, C) the clutch switch had been bypassed, and D) the vehicle was pointed straight at him.

Needless to say, the car pinned him against the garage in his tow yard.

Please, feel free to draw whatever conclusions from this that you will.......:stirpot:

.. and that's why there is a neutral safety switch that requires depressing the clutch pedal to start the car. It's been around for ever and for good reason.