: Service Vehicle Soon

TimmyC
07-25-10, 10:57 PM
I'm getting this message in my 2007 STS every time I start the car. There is no check engine light and no codes stored. When driving over 5mph the stability system brakes the inside wheels every time I turn the steering wheel. I have to turn the stability system completely off to drive the car. It is worse at low speeds. The inside front tire will actually lock up and stop the car.

History: the car was wrecked and the main ecu was replaced and reflashed. The ABS module was also replaced. The fog lights and the parking lights do not work either. I don't know if that is related or not.

I am not sure what to do since I'm not getting any codes. Have any of the techs seen this before?

TimmyC
07-27-10, 06:00 PM
Anyone, next2pool?

next2pool
07-27-10, 07:06 PM
Anyone, next2pool?

I'm over my head on that one other than what a typical failure could be. I would check the ABS sensor on that wheel. I also vaguely recall that a falty steering angle sensor (in the column) can cause similar problems. I've never experienced it. Sorry!

tlac
07-27-10, 08:15 PM
It sounds exactly like the steering wheel position sensor in the steering column. I had the exact same thing happen, but yours sounds like it's a little more fried then mine was. I didn't have to turn the stability off, but I think I caught mine before it actually completely failed.. It was about $260 to repair at the dealership, $100 of that was the part. You might be able to do it yourself, but It sounds like it was deep inside the steering column.

stevenriz
07-29-10, 07:40 AM
I don't know if this is the same or similar or what but when I turn right at a traffic light from a dead stop, my traction control will come on as if I was spinning my wheels. I just let off the gas, let it finish and continue on. Hopefully I am not making any matters worse.

tlac
07-29-10, 08:50 PM
If it's just your traction control system flipping out and not a drivetrain problem, I wouldn't think you'd hurt anything. Not really safe in certain circumstances though.

hammer489
07-29-10, 11:19 PM
Service vehicle soon=body control module code. A regular code reader will not work, only a tech2 which I would think every GM dealer would have. I'm willing to bet the code stored in the BCM will tell you the source of your failure. It looks like you're going to have to spend the $50 at the dealer...

TimmyC
07-30-10, 06:41 PM
It sounds exactly like the steering wheel position sensor in the steering column. I had the exact same thing happen, but yours sounds like it's a little more fried then mine was. I didn't have to turn the stability off, but I think I caught mine before it actually completely failed.. It was about $260 to repair at the dealership, $100 of that was the part. You might be able to do it yourself, but It sounds like it was deep inside the steering column.

I think you are right. The computer is seeing yaw but no steering input. It is probably braking the outside wheel to straighten the car out, not the inside like I assumed. The service manual specifically states that the steering angle sensor is fragile and easily damaged. I have one in my parts car that I'll check out this weekend. I will update when this is fixed.

BaTu
07-30-10, 07:01 PM
Service vehicle soon=body control module code. A regular code reader will not work, only a tech2 which I would think every GM dealer would have. I'm willing to bet the code stored in the BCM will tell you the source of your failure. It looks like you're going to have to spend the $50 at the dealer...

You actually don't need a Tech-II.

The AutoEnginuity will read pretty much ALL our system codes and I think so will the Snap-On scanner. You just need to get away from those cheap "generic" readers....

TimmyC
08-03-10, 12:17 AM
Steering wheel position sensor fixed it. I still have the service vehicle soon message though. I'll have the dealer take a look at that. Maybe the BCM needs to be reflashed.

ewill3rd
08-03-10, 08:14 AM
Service VEHICLE means that it is a body or chassis related fault.
There is a "vehicle diagnostic" code check that will poll every module on the vehicle for codes in the Tech 2.
A quick inspection of stored codes should identify where the source of the problem is.

TimmyC
08-03-10, 07:38 PM
Service VEHICLE means that it is a body or chassis related fault.
There is a "vehicle diagnostic" code check that will poll every module on the vehicle for codes in the Tech 2.
A quick inspection of stored codes should identify where the source of the problem is.

You are right there. I had thought it was related to the stability problem but it was not. The dealer fixed a broken wire today and that took care of it. I'm not sure which wire it was but I think it was in the fog light circuit because they didn't work before and they do now.

tlac
08-03-10, 08:07 PM
When it rains it pours huh, but at least you're good to go now!

ewill3rd
08-03-10, 08:15 PM
I don't see it a lot, last time I saw it a lot of people told me to check the lights.
Some of the newer systems with LED lighting can set codes and make the SVS message come up.
Glad to hear they got it fixed for you.