: windscreen behind the roll bar on the XLR

Koooop
07-25-10, 06:09 PM
I bought one of these windscreens / windblocks for my Dad's XLR for his birthday. It's clear plastic and just hooks onto the roll bar, pretty much an idiot proof install. Nicely made, polished edges, laser cut so it's super nice. You can order all sorts of options, eblems etc...

It seems the windblock was made wrong.

It's supposed to stay in place (you always leave it on the car) top up or top down.

The windblock or windscreen seems to have been made a bit to wide so when Dad closed the top it was in the way and the convertible top mechanism has been damaged. You simply cannot install these things wrong, they're just to simple. It was not the install, it's the product.

We are waiting for bids for the repairs to the car, i have not seen the damage yet but it's not good.

I hope the guy is going to stand behind his product.

I'll post up results of how the company deals with this, they make these things for loads of convertibles and appear to be a good operation. Hopefully it will be a good experience (as far as bad situations go).

Happy Birthday Dad...

ccclarke
07-25-10, 06:55 PM
Koop,

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Your post starts with, "I bought one of these windscreens/windblocks for my . . . " Kinda vague, eh?
Which one?

--At present there are only two GM-approved windscreens for the XLR: The GM-sourced mesh windscreen that costs a small fortune, ($500-750 depending on vendor) and the acrylic WindRestrictor. http://www.dynamicautoconcepts.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ID=9

I installed a WindRestrictor two years ago and have no regrets. It does not interfere with the folding top operation in any way. It's idiot-proof to install, blocks 75% of the wind tubulence, and can be ordered with LED-lit, customized graphics. They have great customer service as well. There are a number of copy-cat producs available. Please post back with vendor info to help future customers choose wisely.

CC

Koooop
07-25-10, 07:18 PM
I left the name of the company off intentionally, we'll see how the situation is handled. Things happen in every business, I mean we all make mistakes. This could be nothing more than a computer glitch when the item was cut.

I'll post that stuff upon resolution of the damages, I wouldn't want to trash someone that is going to stand up and take care of business.

I realize that if I put the right tags in here, this thread will toplist on Google for everyone to see. I want comments to be fair.

We may or may not have gotten the wind restrictor from the same source.

I promise I will put up the info as soon as I can do it with fair comments. Right now I'm just in the "Oh Shit! It's Broke!" stage.

As of now, the Manager has accepted a phone call but has not responded to two emails.

NightshiftHD
07-26-10, 12:15 AM
Wow, I'm sorry to hear this too Koop. I just bought a Wind Restrictor and installed yesterday. Very easy to install and works perfectly as advertised. I'm very happy with it. Hope your situation works out ok. I'd sure like to know if you bought an original Wind Restrictor or one of the competitive products. Bill

Koooop
07-26-10, 12:41 AM
All I'm going to say right now is "put it in front of the roll bars!"

Since the thing was to wide, it probably would have done fine if placed in front.

harrower
07-26-10, 11:06 AM
All I'm going to say right now is "put it in front of the roll bars!"

Since the thing was to wide, it probably would have done fine if placed in front.

windscreen behind the roll bar on the XLR??

I agree. I have never seen one installed behind the roll bar.

ccclarke
07-26-10, 11:56 AM
So the WindRestrictor isn't idiot-proof? LOL I won't post THAT any more!

Oh man . . . Hope it doesn't cost an arm and a leg to fix your Dad's roof.

Good luck.
CC

Koooop
07-26-10, 03:05 PM
I've never seen one in front of the roll bar. Eitherway, the clear windblock is supposed to be able to go in front of or behind the roll bar. The item really is idiot proof, if you get the right one. Somehow I think the slots for the straps may have been cut into the wrong blank and I may have just simply received the wrong part.

Bid #1 is in. The top mechanism is broken, tiny holes in some leather and the side windows need to be re-installed. I still haven't seen the car, but this is from Dad. I'm going to have him bring the car down here and get a bid from the local Cadillac Dealership, I've been buying cars from them for 25 years and they treat me right. I don't want any kind of excessive bids.

The vendor is being interactive and seems reasonable, he sounds like he wants to do the right thing. He has now responded to email and a phone call.

ccclarke
07-26-10, 04:57 PM
Whatever product this was isn't a WindRestrictor; it was a knock-off. The WR's don't have straps, but mount using anodized aluminum clamps over the roll bars, with the wind screen positioned on the front of the roll bars. It's a really nice-looking install. The acrylic is about 3/8" thick, so it doesn't flex in the wind.

CCC

alarmu
07-27-10, 04:13 AM
All of the instructions of the WindRestrictor show it in front of the roll bar. It is the exact height and width of the roll bars. If it is mounted behind the roll bars, i think it would interfere with the lifting of the panel behind the roll bars, which then could cause all sorts of problems. Mine works fine in front.
The only thing to think about when purchasing one, is if you get any emblem on the screen, it blocks your rear view somewhat and especially at night, if it is lighted. Also the top edge of the screen goes right through the center of your vision and it lights also. The screen also reflects all of your forward vision. I have had to go to my outside mirrors only.
I do love the big lighted Cadillac emblem shining in the face of cars following me at night, when i hit the brakes. I have tinted windows and it does not show in the daylight.
IS YOUR DADS CAR IN SOUTHERN CALIF.? I AM LOOKING FOR OTHER OWNERS TO GET TOGETHER. alarmu@gmail.com

Koooop
07-27-10, 01:56 PM
All of the instructions of the WindRestrictor show it in front of the roll bar. It is the exact height and width of the roll bars. If it is mounted behind the roll bars, i think it would interfere with the lifting of the panel behind the roll bars, which then could cause all sorts of problems. Mine works fine in front.
The only thing to think about when purchasing one, is if you get any emblem on the screen, it blocks your rear view somewhat and especially at night, if it is lighted. Also the top edge of the screen goes right through the center of your vision and it lights also. The screen also reflects all of your forward vision. I have had to go to my outside mirrors only.
I do love the big lighted Cadillac emblem shining in the face of cars following me at night, when i hit the brakes. I have tinted windows and it does not show in the daylight.
IS YOUR DADS CAR IN SOUTHERN CALIF.? I AM LOOKING FOR OTHER OWNERS TO GET TOGETHER. alarmu@gmail.com

If I have what happened correct, the rear windows hit the side of the windblock. He said it does not interfere with the operation of the deck lifting in any way. I didn't get him the one with the emblem on it, like you said it would obstruct the rear view mirror. There were several choices of scripts available, I thought they looked pretty cool.

He's in So Cal, but I doubt he'll do much more than take the XLR to Cars 'n Coffee in Irvine when he drives it down here.

Koooop
07-27-10, 06:54 PM
The company is responding and has offered to stand behind the cost of repairs. I did give them the first cost estimate (over a Grand), but that was not from an XLR certified tech. Bid #2 is coming, I'm pretty sure it's going to be more since the tech only works on XLR's and travels between dealerships for XLR top work. He had a good look at the car then at Bid #1 and said, "Nope, there's more than this, but I need it until tomorrow...

Fxsx24
01-04-11, 06:52 PM
i know this is old, but any updates?

Koooop
01-04-11, 08:02 PM
The maker put me in touch with his insurance company, they paid for all repairs.

The wind blocker was shown in the instructions in front of or behind the roll bars. The side windows made contact with the blocker as the top went up. The tolerance is very tight.

The outcome is, put the wind blocker IN FRONT of the roll bars.

Probably should have gotten a tinted one, the clear has quite a bit of glare at night. As far as blocking the wind goes, the item is excellent.

santa
04-21-11, 07:47 AM
i always knew a front placement is gona solve the issue. even better u had all ur repairs paid by insurance company.

NightshiftHD
04-21-11, 10:04 AM
Folks, it clearly depends on WHICH wind screen you are talking about as to whether it is mounted behind or in front of the roll bars. This thread is useless to people when you make comments about mounting one way or the other without identifying the product you are referring to.

In the case of Wind Restrictor ... they are mounted BEHIND the roll bars. It's a dead simple install ... I did it in 1/2 hour, not counting the extra time it took me to hook up the wiring for the LED panel and switch. The Wind Restrictor is NOT wider than the outside of the roll bars and it has never interfered with the roof or side windows in over a year of operation.

I can't comment about any other competitive brand, as I have never seen or installed one. If I were buying another one today ... it would definately be the Wind Restrictor again! It's a quality product. Bill

Koooop
04-24-11, 09:43 PM
Knowing what I know now, I would not mount one behind the roll bar no matter who made it. This is a quality product that's on the car, it's only 1/4 inch thick, no wider or taller than the roll bars and it installes in about 2 minutes and works great. What I was told it has more to do with the older XLR and how close the top is to the roll bars as the windows unfold on the way up. According to the XLR tech that did the repair, there just isn't a 1/4inch to spare as the tops age they just wiggle a touch more and that did it. Good luck with your behind the roll bar install, I hope you don't have any issues as this repair was a pain in the ass.

Everything works perfectly until the day it doesn't work perfectly.

NightshiftHD
04-24-11, 11:24 PM
Appreciate tour comments Koooop. You've got me a bit concerned now. Tomorrow I'm gonna open the top in slo-mo as I want to stop it just as the side windows start to fold in. I'm curious to see just how much room there really is on my 08. I'll let you know what I find out. Cheers, Bill

NightshiftHD
04-24-11, 11:30 PM
By the way Koooop, you indicated last summer when this happened to your dad's car, the windscreen had "straps" to hold it on, which indicates to me that it's not a WindRestrictor which I have ... as they use aluminum clamps.

So I'm curious ... can you tell me what product it was? I am happy they covered the repair on your dad's ride. Cheers, Bill

Koooop
04-25-11, 10:09 AM
I'm not here to promote a product, nor do I have an axe to grind with the vendor since he stood behind it. I just thought other XLR owners should be aware there may not be a 1/4" to spare behind the roll bar on all of these cars.

NightshiftHD
05-13-11, 02:25 PM
Knowing what I know now, I would not mount one behind the roll bar no matter who made it..(snip).
I can't believe how stupid I am. Gotta suck up some humble pie bigtime! Here I am spouting off about mounting the WindRestrictor behind the roll bars, when if I would have actually got off my arse and went to the garage to look at the car ... I was shocked to see I had mounted it IN FRONT OF the rollbars ... just like the WindRestrictor instructions said to! I appologize to Koooop and everyone else who saw my incorrect posts above (I would delete them if I could so no-one else reads that incorrect info). Hopefully a mod here will delete them for me.

This said, it did check the clearance on the side wing windows and there isn't much room between them and the roll bars when the roof is going up or down. I didn't measure, but it looks like only about 3/4" ... and as Koooop says, if anything goes wrong (ie: shifting of any kind), those wing windows are definately gonna hit something attached to the rear side of the roll bars.

Rest assured I will be kicking myself for days because of my stupidity. Just wanted to set the record straight here as far as WindRestrictors go. Bill

Koooop
05-13-11, 02:49 PM
I imagine your post may save some future XLR owner some serious grief.

My Dads car didn't hit the first few times he used the top with that block in place.

Thanks for the info.

ccclarke
05-13-11, 07:32 PM
Here's a link to show how it looks on the XLR. Mine works great and is a GM-approved product too! Highly recommended.

http://www.windrestrictor.com/xlr_gallery/index.html

CC