: OnStar - how often do you use it

iamq
07-25-10, 04:58 PM
I've lived in this rural area for the last 25 years and there isn't too many places I don't know how to get to. When we go to our kids place in NJ its the same roads each time. When we go south for the winter its the same roads.

My question is how often do you use OnStar and what for?

PS.. I do like the fact that it sent me an email last week saying one of the tires was 2lbs low...:thumbsup:

IAMQ

larryk
07-25-10, 05:11 PM
I never use it, however, I really like the idea of it if there were an accident. If involved in an accident could you reach your cell phone to call for help, would you be conscious and able to call for help?
I look at it as insurance...

TheCaptain
07-25-10, 05:37 PM
I am quite diligent at remembering where i put things, and i have an excellent sense of direction and a (mostly) photographic memory.
Now having said that, once my Directions and Connections plan runs out, i will totally renew under the Safe and Sound plan. Because i am only human, and do make mistakes, be forgetful, and could get into an accident.

On my 07 Cobalt i renewed OnStar as long as i owned it, and i used the phone quite a bit. Since my SRX has bluetooth, i have been using my cell more...
but it only takes once.
I like OnStar, and will stay with them with their Safe and Sound plan once my year free is up.

stevec5375
07-25-10, 05:40 PM
I have never used it. This is my first car that has this feature so I'm counting on it in the rare instance I should have an accident or get locked out.

Ponyman
07-25-10, 06:34 PM
I never use it. I let it expire on my 09 HHR and 07 Avalanche, and used the money I saved to buy a good GPS. I might keep it on the SRX bcause of the ability to have them download directions to the GPS. We will see.

GeeVee
07-25-10, 06:48 PM
I use it once in a while but I like having it around for emergencies as well

bobarry
07-25-10, 07:22 PM
I use it about as much as my fire extinguisher in my car. I wouldn't leave home without either. Having an accident without it and needing help after having canceled it would be hard for me to live with.

However, if you do not have cell phone service where you travel, it would be of no help in an emergency, unless you had someone else call Onstar for you.

By the way, they do 'barter' quite a bunch if you persist. I don't know if the info is on this forum, but it is on the Saturn Sky forum and the price is reasonable.

I don't use the 'directions' or cell phone service they offer. I use my own Garmin.

Bo

algiorda
07-25-10, 07:25 PM
Locked my keys in the SRX once as I was getting out to catch a train, dialed OnStar and they unlocked the car and all was well.

Got Lost twice and used it to get me back in the direction I need to go.

I did get in an accident once and the Air Bags didn't deploy. Onstar never called; I guess the AIR BAGS must be deployed.

When my wife and/or children have to go on long trips, I give them the Caddy with OnStar and it gives us ALL comfort knowing they are a button push from help.

It's also great for reducing my insurance premiums due to the fact the can be recovered if it is stolen.

sube5186
07-25-10, 09:18 PM
I did get in an accident once and the Air Bags didn't deploy. Onstar never called; I guess the AIR BAGS must be deployed.

Older OnStar systems required air bag deployment for notification. Newer systems like the one in the SRX utilize multiple sensors throughout the vehicle. Impact or even strong vibrations will trigger an OnStar notification. Watch the video below. It's funny. A 700+ HP Hennessey Cadillac CTS-V triggers an OnStar alert. The video is mislabeled. Actually, that's my SRX he's driving. Ha....don't I wish! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8As1zshWxn0

I'll keep OnStar primarily for two reasons. One, Automatic Crash Response. I don't want my life to depend on me being conscious and able to reach my cell phone to call for help. Two, Stolen Vehicle Assistance. I love that they can not only track your stolen car, but send a signal to gradually slow the vehicle to a stop once the police locate it. No risky high speed chases.....ever. It also sends a signal to disable the engine, so the car can't be restarted once it's turned off.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/sva

Sube

Nichelle
07-25-10, 09:28 PM
On average, I use it once every couple of weeks. Even though I've lived in this area for 10 years, I'm regularly going to locations that are new for me. I either use the call button or the mapquest feature. The mapquest feature is an absolute favorite. I used to print the directions or plug the address into the garmin. Now, I can just send the directions from my computer to the OnStar virtual advisor. As long as I have the service, I might as well take advantage of it while I can.

sube5186
07-25-10, 10:15 PM
On average, I use it once every couple of weeks. Even though I've lived in this area for 10 years, I'm regularly going to locations that are new for me. I either use the call button or the mapquest feature. The mapquest feature is an absolute favorite. I used to print the directions or plug the address into the garmin. Now, I can just send the directions from my computer to the OnStar virtual advisor. As long as I have the service, I might as well take advantage of it while I can.

Yeah, I've used the Virtual Advisor myself. I like it. This may sound weird, but I'm not too crazy about strange people talking to me in the privacy of my car. It seems kind of intrusive. After the trial expires I'll keep the "Safe & Sound" plan. It includes everything except turn by turn navigation. That's what I have the navigation system for. I don't need to pay extra for that.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/Planspricing

Sube

Nichelle
07-25-10, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I've used the Virtual Advisor myself. I like it. This may sound weird, but I'm not too crazy about strange people talking to me in the privacy of my car. It seems kind of intrusive. After the trial expires I'll keep the "Safe & Sound" plan. It includes everything except turn by turn navigation. That's what I have the navigation system for. I don't need to pay extra for that.

http://www.onstar.com/web/portal/Planspricing

Sube

I don't think it sounds weird at all. This is my first car with OnStar and it felt strange to me at first. I admit that in the beginning I was sort of forcing myself to use it. Since I had the service I figured, why not. Now I'm much more comfortable. I've used it many times while the car is in motion. Instead of pulling over so I can enter or search for something with the nav system, I've called OnStar. They've looked up the nearest restaurant, found a phone number for me, etc. After I got past that uncomfortable feeling of talking to a stranger, it's been pretty handy.

Esquire02
07-25-10, 11:18 PM
I love it and use all aspects of it all the time. I think it is well worth the money. A footnote to that is that I live in Chicago so I have a lot more opportunity to use it than if I lived in a rural area or smaller city. I even call them the other day just to ask them where the closest Subway was because I was on the move and hungry and didn't want to pull over. They nailed it. Very convenient for me.

embassy
07-26-10, 12:39 AM
I used it on my STS just a couple of months before getting my SRX. Pulled out of my garage one morning and I couldn't get the car to do anymore than about 7 mph. Virtually no power. No indicator lights on the dash or anything. Pushed the blue button and told the Onstar advisor what the problem was. She told me that she could see a diagnostic error message and would connect me with technical support. Almost immediately I was connected and after telling the fellow what my issue was, he had me shut off the engine and restart. He said that he as going to run a couple of diagnostics and would be back on the line shortly. Came back on to say that there was an issue with both the Engine Control module and the Transmission Control module. However, I should be able to safely drive the vehicle to my nearest dealer. When I told him that I could only get the car up to 7mph and that I wouldn't be able to drive it to the nearest dealer he immeidately transferred me to the roadside assistance group.

Very professional lady and wanted to confirm my location as it was showing up on her screen via my GPS. Spot on (kind of scary big brother stuff). Within a half an hour there was a tow truck and off to the dealer we went. Didn't have to sign anything or pay anything for the tow and the dealer already knew that I was coming in. A replacement vehicle was ready for me and I was at work only just over an hour late.

Excellent service - diagnosed, towed, and a replacement vehicle all done free of charge by just pushing one blue button.

stealth97
07-26-10, 03:11 AM
I love the vehicle recovery system. Never used it, but it makes me feel very comfortable. I would like to hear more about Bartering with them and the results.

iamq
07-26-10, 09:22 AM
I used it on my STS just a couple of months before getting my SRX. Pulled out of my garage one morning and I couldn't get the car to do anymore than about 7 mph. Virtually no power. No indicator lights on the dash or anything. Pushed the blue button and told the Onstar advisor what the problem was. She told me that she could see a diagnostic error message and would connect me with technical support. Almost immediately I was connected and after telling the fellow what my issue was, he had me shut off the engine and restart. He said that he as going to run a couple of diagnostics and would be back on the line shortly. Came back on to say that there was an issue with both the Engine Control module and the Transmission Control module. However, I should be able to safely drive the vehicle to my nearest dealer. When I told him that I could only get the car up to 7mph and that I wouldn't be able to drive it to the nearest dealer he immeidately transferred me to the roadside assistance group.

Very professional lady and wanted to confirm my location as it was showing up on her screen via my GPS. Spot on (kind of scary big brother stuff). Within a half an hour there was a tow truck and off to the dealer we went. Didn't have to sign anything or pay anything for the tow and the dealer already knew that I was coming in. A replacement vehicle was ready for me and I was at work only just over an hour late.

Excellent service - diagnosed, towed, and a replacement vehicle all done free of charge by just pushing one blue button.

Now thats a great endorsement...

larryk
07-26-10, 02:49 PM
I also would like to hear the deals that people have received for renewals. Mine expires at the end of August, so I have to call them soon. I have read the comments here, and on the CTS board, and also did some searching via Google, and it looks like the cheapest that I have found is about $140, plus keeping your minutes (for safe and sound) but I was offered that via their renewal letter ($149.00).
Has anyone been offered a better deal?