: Canadian FOB

wrinkles88
07-25-10, 02:09 PM
Hello, I was just reading through the owners manual, and I noticed that Canadian owners have to go to the dealership to program the FOB. I haven't really looked in to it too much. I have a second key on the way, and I was hoping to do this my self. So has any Canadian owners managed to avoid the dealership?

SlickCityStan
07-25-10, 05:50 PM
I am not Canadian but in the 2005 Owner's Manual I noticed that it said that if a Canadian owner has one recognized fob he can program fobs 2,3,and 4. If he doesn't have a fob already programmed to his car than he has to go to the dealer. US owners can program fobs 1,2,3, and 4 themselves.

wrinkles88
07-29-10, 04:34 PM
Well I just tried this a couple time with no luck. I turned the key to the right 5 times then put the new transmitter in that little pocked in the centre console. Nothing came up on the DIC. I tried the car off and in accessory, what one is it supposed to be in?

wrinkles88
07-29-10, 04:43 PM
Delete

next2pool
07-29-10, 05:16 PM
Delete

The Canadian process is different and the new transmitter must be in the pocket before turning the door key:

1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter into the
transmitter pocket with the transmitter buttons facing
the front of the vehicle. The transmitter pocket is
inside the center console storage area located
between the driver and front passenger seats.
3. Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder
located on the driver’s door.
4. Turn the key to the unlock position five times within
five seconds.
5. The DIC message will display OFF/ACC
TO LEARN.
6. Press the OFF/ACC button (ignition switch).
7. The DIC will read WAIT 10 MINUTES and will
count down to zero, one minute at a time.
8. The DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN again.
9. Press the OFF/ACC button (ignition switch) again.
10. The DIC will again read WAIT 10 MINUTES
and will count down to zero, one minute at a time.
11. The DIC will display OFF/ACC TO LEARN again.
12. Press the OFF/ACC button (ignition switch) again.
13. The DIC will again read WAIT 10 MINUTES
and will count down to zero, one minute at a time.
14. A beep will sound and the DIC will read READY
FOR FOB #1. At this time, all previously known
transmitters have been erased.
15. Once the transmitter is recognized and
programmed, a beep will sound and the DIC will
display READY FOR FOB #2.
16. Remove the keyless access transmitter and press
the unlock button twice to initialize it.

wrinkles88
07-29-10, 06:30 PM
Nothing ever comes up on the DIC. Is the door supposed to be opened or closed, and the car off or in accessory?

next2pool
07-29-10, 07:45 PM
Nothing ever comes up on the DIC. Is the door supposed to be opened or closed, and the car off or in accessory?

Where do you hva the good known fob when you try this? The door can be open, but per the instructions you only activate the accessory part of the start button after the message shows--car should be off before that point. Also are you sure you have the correct fob? There are plenty that look alike but few that work on the STS.

wrinkles88
07-29-10, 07:50 PM
I have the known fob attached to the key that's in the door. I've also tried taking it off an leaving it on the driver seat. The product number for the key is 15212382. So I believe that is right.

next2pool
07-29-10, 09:14 PM
I have the known fob attached to the key that's in the door. I've also tried taking it off an leaving it on the driver seat. The product number for the key is 15212382. So I believe that is right.

It just struck me that on the Canadian cars, you have to put your original already-programmed fob in the slot, and follow the instructions to the letter, and then put your new fob in after it goes thru the whole procedure with the original fob.

wrinkles88
07-29-10, 09:20 PM
Ok, I'll try that tomorrow. It's a little late here now to be trying it. I hope it works. Thanks for the help so far, I'll let you know what happens.

SlickCityStan
07-29-10, 09:25 PM
here are the instructions for Canadian owners. "Matching Transmitter(s) to Your
Vehicle
Each Keyless Access system is coded to allow only
transmitters programmed to your vehicle to work.
If a transmitter is lost or stolen, a replacement can be
purchased and programmed through your GM
dealer. Your GM dealer can reprogram your vehicle so
lost or stolen transmitters no longer work with your
vehicle. Each vehicle can have a maximum of four
transmitters matched to it.
To match a new transmitter to your vehicle when you
have a recognized transmitter, do the following.
Two recognized transmitters are required for
Canadian owners.
1. The vehicle must be off.
2. Have the recognized transmitter and the new,
unrecognized transmitter(s) with you.
3. Insert the vehicle key into the key lock cylinder
located on the outside of the driverís door.
4. Turn the key to the unlock position five times within
five seconds.
5. The DIC will display READY FOR FOB #X, where
X can be 2, 3 or 4.
6. Place the new, unrecognized transmitter into the
transmitter pocket with the transmitter buttons
facing the front of the vehicle. The transmitter
pocket is inside the console bin located between
the driver and front passenger seat.
7. Once the transmitter is programmed, a beep will
sound. The DIC will display READY FOR #X,
where X can be 3 or 4, or MAX # FOBS LEARNED.
8. Remove the transmitter from the transmitter pocket
and press the unlock button on the keyless access
transmitter two times." the Canadian process is different from the US process and does not require the 3 ten minute cycles

wrinkles88
07-29-10, 09:26 PM
^ I only have one recognized transmitter that's the problem for that. Unless I'm reading it wrong.

SlickCityStan
07-29-10, 09:35 PM
you have to have both the working fob and the new one. If you haven't recieved the second fob just wait until it arrives.

SlickCityStan
07-29-10, 09:47 PM
Sorry! I see that you do have the new fob. the writing of the manual is confusing but it looks like you only need one working fob for the programming.

next2pool
07-29-10, 09:53 PM
you have to have both the working fob and the new one. If you haven't recieved the second fob just wait until it arrives.

I think there are some typos in some versions of these manuals. In one version it says to place the new fob in the cubby first, and another version says to start with the original in the cubby first. He tried the new one first and it didn't work so it's probably worth to try the other version that says to use the known fob first. Very confusing!

SlickCityStan
07-29-10, 10:05 PM
I think there are some typos in some versions of these manuals. In one version it says to place the new fob in the cubby first, and another version says to start with the original in the cubby first. He tried the new one first and it didn't work so it's probably worth to try the other version that says to use the known fob first. Very confusing!In the 2005 manual the instructions you gave are for US cars the instructions I gave are for Canadian cars did that change in 2006?

next2pool
07-30-10, 12:45 AM
In the 2005 manual the instructions you gave are for US cars the instructions I gave are for Canadian cars did that change in 2006?

What I posted was for US cars because I forgot this is for a Canadian car. When I realized what I did, I looked in the 06 manual and it specifically said on Canadian cars to start the process with the original FOB. Hopefully we'll know more tomorrow.

wrinkles88
08-02-10, 04:10 PM
Just an update. I still have had no luck. Nothing ever comes up on the DIC. I think I might just have ti pay the dealership for it unfortunately.

SlickCityStan
08-02-10, 04:42 PM
Just an update. I still have had no luck. Nothing ever comes up on the DIC. I think I might just have ti pay the dealership for it unfortunately.Sorry to hear that. I was able to program a fob using the US instructions so I don't know whatelse to suggest. If you are going to take your car to the dealer is it the same one you purchased the car from? If so maybe you can get him to program the new fob as a goodwill gesture.

hazcaddy
08-03-10, 11:57 AM
You may also want to check that you have a Canadian car.

Although I live in Canada and bought my STS here, the car was in fact a PEP car from Miamisburg OH and imported by my dealer. That means the US procedure would have to be followed.

wrinkles88
08-21-10, 08:06 PM
Time for another update. I took the key to the dealership so they could program it. It cost me 118 dollars an they told me it was broken. They said they could program it but none of the buttons would work. So I'm getting a replacement and I'll let you all know how that goes.