: Some goofy issues

turnne
07-25-10, 11:33 AM
I know some of this has been discussed and there is a link as well to common issues
But..anyway
I got a new job and have been traveling extensively for the past two months and therefore have not driven My 05 1SG AWD very much....it has sat unstarted in my garage for as much as two weeks at a time recently

I have had a few issues...a couple are minor and one has me concerned

First off the A/C is making that funky noise..I see there is an easy fix for that
Second..the drivers door actuator is working intermittently...in fact the less that I drive the more it seems to not work....after a day of so it starts to work again

Frustrating

But the biggest issue is the trans.....if I drive it on a daily basis all is good. If I don't drive it daily there is a "clunk" when I put it in reverse
Last week I started it up..after it had been sitting for two weeks....I put it in reverse..nothing happened. I put it in park and selected reverse again and then pressed the accelerator. It went into reverse with a nasty clunk
I drove it for a few days..the problem never reappeared after that one time reverse was engaged

Frustrating

The Caddy dealer has already replaced the updated the trans software and when that didn't work they replaced the torque converter
I have about 2.5 years and 30K of warranty left...thank goodness..lol

As I said before the first two issues are not a big deal to me...but the trans has me concerned...that and the fact that I likely will not be able to duplicate it at the dealer

Anyone have this trans issue?

Warren

next2pool
07-26-10, 03:56 PM
I know some of this has been discussed and there is a link as well to common issues
But..anyway
I got a new job and have been traveling extensively for the past two months and therefore have not driven My 05 1SG AWD very much....it has sat unstarted in my garage for as much as two weeks at a time recently

I have had a few issues...a couple are minor and one has me concerned

First off the A/C is making that funky noise..I see there is an easy fix for that
Second..the drivers door actuator is working intermittently...in fact the less that I drive the more it seems to not work....after a day of so it starts to work again

Frustrating

But the biggest issue is the trans.....if I drive it on a daily basis all is good. If I don't drive it daily there is a "clunk" when I put it in reverse
Last week I started it up..after it had been sitting for two weeks....I put it in reverse..nothing happened. I put it in park and selected reverse again and then pressed the accelerator. It went into reverse with a nasty clunk
I drove it for a few days..the problem never reappeared after that one time reverse was engaged

Frustrating

The Caddy dealer has already replaced the updated the trans software and when that didn't work they replaced the torque converter
I have about 2.5 years and 30K of warranty left...thank goodness..lol

As I said before the first two issues are not a big deal to me...but the trans has me concerned...that and the fact that I likely will not be able to duplicate it at the dealer

Anyone have this trans issue?

Warren

It sounds like your convertor may be leaking down when it sits for extended periods. The fluid leaks back into the trans so there won't be any visible leakage. The front pump replenishes the fluid once the engine starts but it takes a few seconds.

MacMuse
07-26-10, 04:49 PM
...Second..the drivers door actuator is working intermittently...in fact the less that I drive the more it seems to not work....after a day of so it starts to work again

I presume you mean it does not cleanly unlock and open when you approach the car? If so, at least replace the CR2032 battery in the FOB. If the problem continues after that you may have the start of the common door handle failure problem.

turnne
07-26-10, 09:22 PM
I presume you mean it does not cleanly unlock and open when you approach the car? If so, at least replace the CR2032 battery in the FOB. If the problem continues after that you may have the start of the common door handle failure problem.

Battery is fine in the remote...its new. the
passenger door opens fine
The driver door release , I think, is going out....although its seem to stop working and then start again

Warren

turnne
07-26-10, 09:27 PM
It sounds like your convertor may be leaking down when it sits for extended periods. The fluid leaks back into the trans so there won't be any visible leakage. The front pump replenishes the fluid once the engine starts but it takes a few seconds.

The Cadillac dealer replaced the torque converter and as I recall replaced the seal on the trans...all done under warranty about 3 months ago

I guess I will take it back...as I still have warranty...its just a pain to deal with the same thing twice

Warren

05stscaddy
07-28-10, 03:38 PM
I see that you got your torque converter replaced under warranty. I'm curious if the bill actually said how much that repair would have cost you without warranty? I'm in the position of needing my TC replaced and i was quoted approx $2K so i'm just trying to see if that is accurate.

turnne
07-29-10, 07:34 AM
I see that you got your torque converter replaced under warranty. I'm curious if the bill actually said how much that repair would have cost you without warranty? I'm in the position of needing my TC replaced and i was quoted approx $2K so i'm just trying to see if that is accurate.

sounds accurate.
I am traveling on business right now and don't have access to the invoice
As I recall the invoice said they replaced it with a rebuilt unit and the part cost was about $1400
I will try to remember to take at it when I am get home at weeks and I can give you parts and labor breakdown

Warren

bbshriver
07-30-10, 09:31 AM
I'm having a similar issue with my door latch, when i pull sometimes it will unlock all the doors, but not open the door. Very odd.

Also having something weird with the transmission, including clunk going into reverse, clunk going from reverse to drive along with a shudder, and harsh 1-2 shifts. The harsh 1-2 shift seems to go away with "daily driving" around town, but gets worse on an extended road trip (like after I stop for gas). The shudder seems to be totally random.

And one other thing... Sometimes when I'm sitting with my car in gear and the brake on, the rear end seems to "bounce". It doesn't do that in park. Any ideas???

next2pool
07-30-10, 12:33 PM
And one other thing... Sometimes when I'm sitting with my car in gear and the brake on, the rear end seems to "bounce". It doesn't do that in park. Any ideas???

That's because of the torque reaction through the brakes and into the suspension. The rear suspension has anti lift and anti squat built into the geometry. If standing still and the engine rpm changes for any reason, it can cause that anti lift and squat to raise and lower the car. In park, there is not torque reaction through the driveline and suspension.

bbshriver
07-30-10, 12:36 PM
I figured it was something like that... but are you saying this is normal? My other vehicles are manual transmission, but even other automatics I've driven I haven't experienced this.

My engine RPM does seem to wander around at idle, it'll go from running smooth to sort of lumpy, back to smooth, etc.

That's because of the torque reaction through the brakes and into the suspension. The rear suspension has anti lift and anti squat built into the geometry. If standing still and the engine rpm changes for any reason, it can cause that anti lift and squat to raise and lower the car. In park, there is not torque reaction through the driveline and suspension.

turnne
08-03-10, 08:33 AM
I went by the Cadillac dealer on Saturday and told the service writer about my issues...he tried to open the drivers door and it would not function. I made an appt to drop it off Monday morning

Interestingly enough...it started to work again over the weekend....lol. I also tried my other key FOB and it seemed to function a lot better than the one I use daily...??..ie..the drivers door was always required a harder pull to open than the other doors....the other fob makes it open like the rest of the doors..??
They had reprogrammed the fobs last year when I bought the car. I dropped the car of yesterday
The dealer called me and said they could not find any issues with the door.....they were going to lubricate the AC actuator to get rid of the noise
They said they could see no trans issue and thought it might be the brakes freezing up when the car has been parked for two weeks
First off I told them that the clunking I heard going into reverse was not the brakes..LOL
But whatever...they said they would explore the trans a bit more and let me know
My thought is that all they will do is reprogram the key fobs again, lubricate the AC parts find no issue with the trans

Then next week the door will stop working again and the trans will clunk going into reverse....Oh well

Warren

turnne
08-03-10, 12:06 PM
well some updates
Cadillac dealer just called...the drivers door latch is checking out fine.....they reprogrammed the remotes
They are going to replace the rear differential and some sort of internal valving in the AC to stop the noise it makes
They don't have the parts...so they will be ordered and car should be finished by the end of the day tomorrow
I told the service ad visor if I pick the car and the door stops opening again..I will not be a happy person

Earlier in this thread someone asked me about the charge for replacing the torgue converter

I am looking at my paperwork...it was $1481 and replaced with a rebuilt unit..under warranty

I questioned paying the $3500 extra for warranty on this vehicle when I bought it...however in a year and 15K miles of ownership it has paid $2500...that's excluding the repair they are doing right now which should cost them about another $1000

Needless to say if the car continues at this rate I should more than double the money I spent, on the warranty, during my ownership of this car

Warren