: Wax VS Clay?

Cads4life
07-25-10, 01:34 AM
Whats the difference and which ones better?

bowanna03
07-25-10, 10:10 AM
In my opinion clay is a compliment to wax. I always clay prior to waxing as it will lift many contaminents that wax and polishing can't get to. Clay and waxing go hand and hand use them both as it will just make the wax work better on the paint also and will look alot better.

Cads4life
07-25-10, 01:18 PM
In my opinion clay is a compliment to wax. I always clay prior to waxing as it will lift many contaminents that wax and polishing can't get to. Clay and waxing go hand and hand use them both as it will just make the wax work better on the paint also and will look alot better.

so if i were to wash it, would i use the wax or the clay first?

Submariner409
07-25-10, 01:28 PM
Wash the car well using a dedicated car wash liquid, not dish detergent, then use the clay bar and spray lubricant according to the directions, wash the car again, blow dry and wax, buffing with microfiber towels.

As posted, clay removes the impurities and grit embedded into the clearcoat while wax protects the surface :wash, clay, wash, wax.

Take a look at a clever gadget (the bucket insert) - www.gritguard.com - for a way to keep wash grit out of your wool/microfiber mitts.

Cads4life
07-26-10, 11:52 PM
Wash the car well using a dedicated car wash liquid, not dish detergent, then use the clay bar and spray lubricant according to the directions, wash the car again, blow dry and wax, buffing with microfiber towels.

As posted, clay removes the impurities and grit embedded into the clearcoat while wax protects the surface :wash, clay, wash, wax.

Take a look at a clever gadget (the bucket insert) - www.gritguard.com - for a way to keep wash grit out of your wool/microfiber mitts.
awesome! thanks guys :thumbsup:

ccclarke
07-27-10, 02:18 AM
Here's another great bucket to consider:

http://www.griotsgarage.com/product/car+care/car+washing/car+cleaning+tools/ultimate+car+wash+bucket.do

It's got a grating on the bottom to keep your mitts out of the dirt, a built-in detergent measuring cup, a shelf for other cleaning tools, a huge handle, wheels and a snap-on cover. Griot's is pretty much a one-stop shop for (most) of your cleaning and car care needs.

I gave up on wax years ago when I discovered polymer-based polishes (Zaino is my choice, but there are others). They last a lot longer, so I polish/clay twice a year. Okay, I admit I got busy this year, and last applied Zaino in Oct. Both vehicles STILL look freshly-waxed. Occasional washes and spray on some gloss enhancer. Wax looks great --for about two to four weeks, then you get to apply it all over again. I've got better things to do.

CCC

hcvone
08-05-10, 10:15 AM
Clay is for cleaning and "wax" is for protection and shine