: How much power can the auto take?

CadV
07-24-10, 11:55 PM
For those of you that have been asking the question it seems to be an estimated 550 with the stock internal components.

I was doing around 650 and mine started slipping today. Got an error code that a solenoid was stuck so prolly got some debris in it. Anyone doing 600+ your on borrowed time.

Circle-D (http://www.circledtrans.com/) is doing good things with the tranny. They have a 600 crank hp currently and a 800 crank hp in development.

I should have a built tranny hopefully this week. I will post my findings and results when I am done.

Razorecko
07-25-10, 11:03 AM
I'm honestly suprised that with some of the mods you auto owners have the first thing you don't invest in is in an additional transmission cooler like a nice setrab. It's the heat that kills the slushboxes

nradcad
07-25-10, 04:08 PM
I'm honestly suprised that with some of the mods you auto owners have the first thing you don't invest in is in an additional transmission cooler like a nice setrab. It's the heat that kills the slushboxes

Good fluid should help too, right?

Razorecko
07-25-10, 06:29 PM
^ fluid will help a little although not as much as the temperature of the fluid. Under the intake if you pull out that brake duct and put in a good transmission cooler with a bracket it would help alot in keeping the transmission togethor for alot longer.

AP24LA
07-25-10, 06:33 PM
Just to be clear, your talking 550-600 whp right?

whisler151
07-25-10, 07:11 PM
Just to be clear, your talking 550-600 whp right?

Yes he is talking rwhp. His V is highly modded.

gut2727
07-25-10, 07:28 PM
CadV,
If you dont mind me asking - is Circle D building out your trans or do they have cores available so you can just exchange once they are complete?

Thx,
Chris

AP24LA
07-25-10, 09:19 PM
Yes he is talking rwhp. His V is highly modded.

haha ok. I figured that but wanted to make sure that adding just 40 bhp wasnt gonna fry the tranny lol

RCC
07-27-10, 10:27 AM
With the new 6 speed autos from gm, the ability to handle more power is in who tunes it. The 6L90 in the CTSV is very similar to the 6L80 in the vettes. I had an A6 in my 08 vette making 700rwhp and it lived and I never took it easy on the car, it was driven hard. I would think 650rwhp on a stock tranny would live as long as the tune was right. Tuning the new autos is tricky.

Sohfast94
07-27-10, 11:34 AM
test

gnxs
07-27-10, 11:37 AM
With the new 6 speed autos from gm, the ability to handle more power is in who tunes it. The 6L90 in the CTSV is very similar to the 6L80 in the vettes. I had an A6 in my 08 vette making 700rwhp and it lived and I never took it easy on the car, it was driven hard. I would think 650rwhp on a stock tranny would live as long as the tune was right. Tuning the new autos is tricky.
In talking to Jesse this weekend he had noted that the 6L90 is markedly stronger that the 6L80 used in say the Camaro.

However, running 650 rwhp in a 4200-4300 pound Caddy is alot easier on a trans than running it in a car that is nearly 1000 pounds lighter. Add regular use of sticky tires and high trans temps (I'll be getting an aftermarket trans cooler ASAP) and the longevity/durability becomes even more variable.

gut2727
07-27-10, 11:40 AM
RCC,

who did the tuning on your vette if you dont mind me asking?

CadV
07-27-10, 11:48 AM
CadV,
If you dont mind me asking - is Circle D building out your trans or do they have cores available so you can just exchange once they are complete?

Thx,
Chris

GM will do the core swaps though. I am sending a new tranny straight from GM and then I will give them the old one after the built one is installed. You get a month to give them the old one.

CadV
07-27-10, 11:50 AM

I am requesting a tune from them so I am perfectly compliant. They want me to use their tq converter as well so I am going to do it.

CadV
07-27-10, 11:52 AM
However, running 650 rwhp in a 4200-4300 pound Caddy is alot easier on a trans than running it in a car that is nearly 1000 pounds lighter.

That takes the cake on stupid comments. If he really did say that he is clueless.

CadV
07-27-10, 12:01 PM

It comes with one stock.

gnxs
07-27-10, 12:18 PM
That takes the cake on stupid comments. If he really did say that he is clueless.
:tisk:

I transposed my thoughts and meant to say the opposite.....obviously.

Jesse only commented on the 6L90 vs. 6L80. I was commenting on the weight differences being a factor and botched the construction (and hence the meaning) of my reply, as you not so graciously pointed out.

600+ CTS-V
07-27-10, 12:18 PM
A couple of weeks ago I thought I needed a tranny. I already had an appointment with Jeremy Formato to tune my car. Then Jeremy tunes it and now the car feels like he put a race built tranny in it. The trans shifts perfect now. So I would have to agree that alot of it has to do with the tune. My car is making between 645 and 670 depending on the dyno.

Razorecko
07-27-10, 07:35 PM
It comes with one stock.

most performance cars do. I meant a secondary aftermarket tranny cooler. I know lots of people like the B&M's but the Setrab brand is the top of the line.

nradcad
07-27-10, 08:41 PM
A couple of weeks ago I thought I needed a tranny. I already had an appointment with Jeremy Formato to tune my car. Then Jeremy tunes it and now the car feels like he put a race built tranny in it. The trans shifts perfect now. So I would have to agree that alot of it has to do with the tune. My car is making between 645 and 670 depending on the dyno.

Just quickened up shifting or what?

Dr. Design
07-27-10, 09:13 PM
Honestly it really depends on the tune. These are really strong transmissions. But if you get a little carried away with shift timing, line pressures, etc.. you can damage these transmissions. If i am not mistaken, there have already been a few incidents of blown trans...

Mild trans tune, we have been able to beat the crap out an auto making 700ft lbs at the wheels...., NO ISSUES!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

MT14R
07-28-10, 12:09 AM
What temperature should be considered the maximum operating temp for this tranny? 220? 200? 180?

baabootoo
07-28-10, 12:32 AM
What temperature should be considered the maximum operating temp for this tranny? 220? 200? 180?

Nah, that's nothing for this fluid. Dexron VI approaches full synthetic as far as temp limits, breakdown, etc. I wouldn't even begin to worry until sustained temps were over 260.

baabootoo
07-28-10, 12:43 AM
I found this other link too. GM's spec sheet lists max engine HP at 555 and TQ at 550, for the 6L90. The 6L80 is about 100 less on both counts. Max GEARBOX torque is listed at 885 for the 6L90 and 664 for the 6L80.

RCC
07-28-10, 07:55 AM
RCC,

who did the tuning on your vette if you dont mind me asking?

Late Model Racecraft tuned my my vette when it had the LS3/6L80 setup.

CadV,

Thx,
Chris

Curcle D is one of the best out there when it comes to the new 6 speed autos. They custom build their converters in house. I have a triple disk they build in my A6 and I have to say it was one of the best driving converters I ever had.

6speeder
07-28-10, 08:44 AM
Nah, that's nothing for this fluid. Dexron VI approaches full synthetic as far as temp limits, breakdown, etc. I wouldn't even begin to worry until sustained temps were over 260.

It's not JUST the fluid that hates heat, operating an auto at over 250 will cook the clutches and seals as well as the fluid.

shade
07-28-10, 12:58 PM
Honestly it really depends on the tune. These are really strong transmissions. But if you get a little carried away with shift timing, line pressures, etc.. you can damage these transmissions. If i am not mistaken, there have already been a few incidents of blown trans...

Mild trans tune, we have been able to beat the crap out an auto making 700ft lbs at the wheels...., NO ISSUES!

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

D3 - from talking to other people and looking at your comments here how many miles are on the daily driver with 700ft/lbs? Do you guys plan to pull it out and inspect the tranny at any point? It appears the motor can handle more boost OK but man I'd hate to go up in HP and have the tranny not be able to handle it.

Under the assumption you mod the car for more HP does tuning the tranny help longevity compared leaving the tranny parameters stock?

Dr. Design
07-28-10, 03:21 PM
We dont have one of the cars at our facility this second. However we will have one in next week and we can verify exact mileage. Off memory I believe one of them have about 30K miles.

We will eventually pull the trans and do a full inspection, once we drop in the new motor. But the trans might get ditched for a manual....

Typically, we adjust the trans based on how the customer is planning on driving it, always operating within our own set restraints. Based on the HP levels we have been able to achieve we actually start to ease up on the trans tuning for the higher HP vehicles, obviously to address any concerns over trans longevity.

Thank you,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

D3 - from talking to other people and looking at your comments here how many miles are on the daily driver with 700ft/lbs? Do you guys plan to pull it out and inspect the tranny at any point? It appears the motor can handle more boost OK but man I'd hate to go up in HP and have the tranny not be able to handle it.

Under the assumption you mod the car for more HP does tuning the tranny help longevity compared leaving the tranny parameters stock?

CadV
07-28-10, 04:07 PM
most performance cars do. I meant a secondary aftermarket tranny cooler. I know lots of people like the B&M's but the Setrab brand is the top of the line.

Thanks I will def look into them.

CadV
07-28-10, 04:08 PM

Is that the stock one or your RPM built tranny?

Just Enough
07-28-10, 10:48 PM
Dr. Design,

With a stock engine and tranny tune can the V be beat on all day long and have the 6L90 survive?

600+ CTS-V
07-29-10, 12:44 AM
Is that the stock one or your RPM built tranny?

That is with the stock trans. It now has 10,000 miles at 640 to 670 hp.

Just got back from the track and will be posting up the results in a new thread. 10's on the stock trans?:D