: About to purchase, what should I know?

rayyork
07-24-10, 07:49 PM
I will be buying a 2009+ CTS-V within the next 12 months. Here's what I know:

1) It will be black
2) It will have Recarro's
3) It will have the moon roof

Here's what I don't know:

1) Auto or Stick (leaning toward auto)
2) New or used (the 2010's at 0% are very appealing but I can't pull the trigger today....)
3) Any advantages / disadvantages between model years?
4) what I don't know (meaning, I don't know what I don't know so please enlighten me on what I may be missing)

TIA for your input!

Gary Wells
07-24-10, 08:04 PM
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 05-16-2010):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual,
fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9):
Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00,
5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better *mileage* than the *auto* but probably not significant
About 38 more RWHP than the auto on the average
About 30 more RWTQ that the auto
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90E 6 speed
electronically controlled automatic overdrive with
torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios (:1) 1st:
4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67,
final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse mileage than the manual but probably not significant
About 38 less RWHP than the manual on the average
About 30 less RWTQ that the manual on the average
About 95 lbs more that the manual
Remote start feature

About 1 in every 10 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

HTH

A search is probably in order for the items / questions that you asked about.
There are probably a hundred threads / posts on each one of those items.
BTW, welcome to the forum.

rayyork
07-24-10, 09:52 PM
Thank you and thank you!

Based on these numbers, I think that the auto is the best choice for me. This will be my daily driver and while I drive very few miles per day I do get stuck in stop and go traffic from time to time and that would get old quick with the stick.

Gary Wells
07-24-10, 10:38 PM
I feel certain that if you bring up the word *transmission*, *automatic*, or *manual*, you will be reading until sometime next year. There have been some very heated discussions regarding *transmission* selection, with selection loyalty be the main common denominator. Consider test driving both of them prior to purchase.

Razorecko
07-25-10, 11:43 AM
if you plan on modding extensivly go manual otherwise eventually if you have anything over 600rwhp seems like you'll be spending some extra dough in upgrading that also.

cbloveday
07-25-10, 01:00 PM
10,000 miles on auto
modded february 09 approx 4,000 miles.
I changed the transmission fluid once and diff fluid twice for inspection and found only normal amount of metal shavings on magnetic plugs.

I am not concerned until I hear of several 600 plus auto trans going out.

I am changing transmission fluid and diff fluid every 15,000 miles going forward. I will report findings at each interval and if she fails, you all will know about it.

Johnsteph10
07-25-10, 02:45 PM
I tried finding a new 2010 and they disappeared in June. I doubt you'll be able to find many at all, now. The CTS-V is quite a rare car: it offers a heck of a lot of value for the money in regards to performance, luxury, and family (4 door sedan, at least).

rayyork
07-26-10, 01:51 AM
There are a few on the car selling sites and one of my local dealers sold one last week. I don't see being able to buy one right now anyway though. Maybe I'll get in on the 2011's at 0% next year ;)

What about the model year differences? Any thoughts there?

Gary Wells
07-26-10, 04:31 AM
With the economy changing the way that it is, it might be a little early to predict whether GM will offer 0% for any length of time. They seem to be getting closer and /or better at determining how many cars will sell each year.
It is conceivable that at some point, they might make less than there is a demand for to keep from offering discounts. Just a few random thoughts.

Razorecko
07-26-10, 09:59 AM
10,000 miles on auto
modded february 09 approx 4,000 miles.
I changed the transmission fluid once and diff fluid twice for inspection and found only normal amount of metal shavings on magnetic plugs.

I am not concerned until I hear of several 600 plus auto trans going out.

I am changing transmission fluid and diff fluid every 15,000 miles going forward. I will report findings at each interval and if she fails, you all will know about it.

Hey Curtis, If you really want to take the worry off the auto trans why not get an additonal trans cooler hooked up ?

rayyork
07-26-10, 10:00 AM
With the economy changing the way that it is, it might be a little early to predict whether GM will offer 0% for any length of time. They seem to be getting closer and /or better at determining how many cars will sell each year.
It is conceivable that at some point, they might make less than there is a demand for to keep from offering discounts. Just a few random thoughts.

Good points; even though I don't want to accept them. :(

A556HPV
07-26-10, 03:15 PM
Just got mine Saturday so I'm new to this site. I had 2 very bad experiences with dealers in my area, even spoke to Cadillac home office about the way I was treated. So last Friday I call Dave Towell Dealership out of Akron, Ohio. They had 2 on the lot (Manuals) and found 36 other Black versions out there. I wanted black on black, auto, with standard seating. They found one in Wis. sent the driver right then to get it and it was delivered to me Saturday by noon as they promised. Now that service. There are around 94 of them out there (as of Friday) mostly with the racing seat interiors so finding one shouldn’t be hard if you purchase soon. There were 120+ the week before and going they are going quick. Good Luck!

Cub Cadet
07-27-10, 12:20 PM
Just got mine Saturday so I'm new to this site. I had 2 very bad experiences with dealers in my area, even spoke to Cadillac home office about the way I was treated. So last Friday I call Dave Towell Dealership out of Akron, Ohio. They had 2 on the lot (Manuals) and found 36 other Black versions out there. I wanted black on black, auto, with standard seating. They found one in Wis. sent the driver right then to get it and it was delivered to me Saturday by noon as they promised. Now that service. There are around 94 of them out there (as of Friday) mostly with the racing seat interiors so finding one shouldn’t be hard if you purchase soon. There were 120+ the week before and going they are going quick. Good Luck!

Was your salesman Ted Davis? He was a nice guy but could never score a deal for me for whatever reason. I had to go all the way down to Columbus, OH to get the deal I wanted and it was through Germain Cadillac. I liked dealing with those guys. They made me feel great about my purchase and handled everything professionally.
Also, sounds like their are more V's in NE Ohio... I have seen only one in the Columbus area and it was red.

A556HPV
07-27-10, 01:17 PM
I was originally dealing with Frank but he went on vacation after he ordered it and passed me to Ted. Ted and the dealer went out of their way to make this purchase go smoooooth. I would have to say this dealer treats their customers like Kings! They are even replacing the front bumper assembly for free since the dealer in Wis. already installed the front plate. Ted even offered to come in on Sunday to explain all the features of the cars since I had to leave right after I picked up the car. Cadillac also sent me a coupon for $1,000 for all the trouble I went through to get a car. I highly recommend Dave Towell Cadillac as well as Ted, Frank and everyone else at the dealership that stopped by to help make sure everything went off without I hitch.

A556HPV
07-27-10, 01:25 PM
If you are looking for a V, go to cars.com, go thru the filters for your exact model and options. This is the most accurate listing next to the dealers list. Any dealer can bring one in from another site for you.
These are the 2010 left in inventory around the country (as of 7/27) by Exterior Color...

Black (34)
Gray (8)
Red (13)
Silver (8)
White (24)
Other (11)

Of these the, Transmission Type
Manual (6)
Automatic (29)
Other / Unknown (63)

Good hunting