: Wheels won't come off!

83CADMAN
07-24-10, 03:36 PM
I had a rear air strut boot shred on my 91 Seville, so after locating a suitable replacement from my local U-Pull yard, I made room in the shop to perform the R&R.
First thing, block the front tires, jack up the rig and place some stands under it. Time to pull the rear wheel, hook up the old impact wrench and a few rattles later all five lugs were on the floor. Expecting the wheel to flop a little when loosened, I was surprised when it held firmly in place. RUSTED!
Iíve squirted WD-40 in the lugholes and at the center, beat on the outer edge of the tire with a mallet, I even tried an air-chisel with a punch tip at the center.
I am stuck, literally. I am open to any and all ideas. Oh, did I mention that the wheels are a set of very rare FWD Tru-Spoke wireís.

JimD
07-24-10, 04:38 PM
....I am stuck, literally. I am open to any and all ideas. Oh, did I mention that the wheels are a set of very rare FWD Tru-Spoke wireís.

This might be worth a try:
Put it all back together with only three lug nuts installed. And do not tighten the nuts against the wheel; leave all three about one thread away from contact with the wheel. Drive slowly in a residential area and put some side load on the wheel to hub surface by doing rapid S turns.

If that breaks the corrosion loose, and it should, you will feel/hear it happen. Stop immediately and tighten the lug nuts, head home and finish the original job.

Good luck....

83CADMAN
07-24-10, 04:51 PM
Thanks JimD. Iíll give it a try. Iíve tried bouncing it with the floor jack, one lug installed loose and rotated to side, no luck.
Man, I just hade these wheels off this last spring when I replaced rear brake pads.
When I do get them off, do you have any ideas as to what I can do to prevent them from rusting again?

JimD
07-24-10, 05:05 PM
....When I do get them off, do you have any ideas as to what I can do to prevent them from rusting again?

I have no experience working in your (wet) environment. And if you are close to salt water, that would be even more challenging. Maybe you do not put on the kind of miles that would justify tire rotation several times a year?

Removing the wheels and using a wire brush on the wheel and hub mating surfaces every six months would prevent the rust/corrosion accumulation.

83CADMAN
08-02-10, 01:39 PM
Wow! I just discovered a product, (thatís apearantly been around awhile):o ,thatís definitely going to replace WD40 in my war bag. I used this new stuff on my rusted on wire wheel/lug problem. It was amazing! Within 15 min. from application the worse of the rusted wheels wiggled loose.:cloud9: While under there I treated the air-strut bolts, made that job real easy.:2thumbs:

Submariner409
08-02-10, 05:38 PM
PB Blaster ???

83CADMAN
08-02-10, 11:33 PM
Thats the stuff! I smeared a little greese on the rotor hubs, I hope this keeps the wheels from rusting to them again.
No more bottoming out on speed bumps