: Pictures of my custom key fob holder for car

Moparman4444
07-23-10, 11:20 PM
I got tired forgetting my key fob in the house in a pair of pants, a coat, or just on the table. I never had that problem before when I always left the key in the car when in the garage and took it with me when at work. Since Caddy didn't think about people like me when designing the car I had to come up with something else.

It took 5 minutes with a drummel a little glue and some black felt. I cut a whole matching the dimentions of my key fob with a drummel in the fake CF plastic next to the shifter, then applied some glue to the inside where the key would rest and sprinkled some cut up black felt to cushen the key when in its drivers slot. Tem minutes later its ready and works great.

The best think is it so simple yet effective. When I sell the car Ill spend a few bucts to buy a cheap replacement piece and nobody would ever know.

I think I will do the same thing for my I phone!

I tried to upload the pictures twice and they didnt take. Hopefully you guys will get the idea. Ill try again later

cbloveday
07-23-10, 11:46 PM
I'd like to see pics of that.

RB190
07-24-10, 10:20 AM
This thread is worthless without PICTURES :D

RB

Club Malibu
07-24-10, 11:54 AM
I just throw the keys in the cup holders.

Cup holders are pretty worthless for holding cups in a car with 550+ lb-ft of torque anyways.

Moparman4444
07-24-10, 07:32 PM
Ok here are the pictures. Sorry for the delay

Moparman4444
07-24-10, 07:38 PM
Ok I figured it out. The original pictures were too big. The attached ones work

Howsitgoing
07-24-10, 09:14 PM
I just throw the keys in the cup holders.

Cup holders are pretty worthless for holding cups in a car with 550+ lb-ft of torque anyways.

What he said!

paul34
07-24-10, 10:30 PM
Ouch, wouldn't that key scratch up the trim?

Qnsryck
07-25-10, 05:52 PM
Don't beat me up on this but can you turn off the annoying 3 horn honks when you close the door and the fob is still in the vehicle?

wfo
07-25-10, 07:00 PM
Pretty slick. But you can cout on that key rubbing against the piano black console will be leaving some nice scratches.

thatcoder
07-25-10, 07:23 PM
Looks pretty ugly to me. You defaced the interior of that car.

RemoWilliams
07-25-10, 08:15 PM
WHAT?! I can't believe you cut into your center console for that!? :cookoo: To each his own I guess, but whats wrong with just putting it in the cup holder.

At least it's a trim piece that can be easily replaced.

brk
07-25-10, 09:13 PM
What is a "drummel"?

Tony407
07-25-10, 09:50 PM
Hey, if it works for you that's all that matters...

Tony

RapidRob
07-25-10, 10:57 PM
Hey, if it works for you that's all that matters...

Tony

^^^ Ditto.

But - I wouldn't have done it ... :hmm:

Rob

cbloveday
07-26-10, 12:15 AM
A better spot IMO would have been the in the center glovebox. That looks out of place. I would have just got some double sided 3m tape and attached the velcro stuff to the key fob and a hidden spot in the cabin, say tucked under my dash.

vade_R
07-26-10, 03:09 AM
there is a hole just like that in the center console, cut out precisely for that purpose, right behind where the usb and aux connection is......that just looks wrong in the interior of a 70K car, maybe in a yaris or aveo, sorry just my opinion to each his own

mugatu22
07-26-10, 04:29 AM
I'm sorry but that's hideous :thepan:

You're planning on hacking it up further for your iPhone?!

BTW, it's a Dremel.

Kadonny
07-26-10, 09:37 AM
What is a "drummel"?

I lol'd at that too.

I just keep the fob in my pocket, what's so hard about that? When you leave the car it locks itself and you never have to worry about it getting stolen. Easy.

Domsz06
07-26-10, 11:41 AM
Don't beat me up on this but can you turn off the annoying 3 horn honks when you close the door and the fob is still in the vehicle?
yup, just turn off the option in your DIC. It's the reminder fob is in or something like that in the advanced settings.

brk
07-26-10, 03:56 PM
there is a hole just like that in the center console, cut out precisely for that purpose, right behind where the usb and aux connection is......that just looks wrong in the interior of a 70K car, maybe in a yaris or aveo, sorry just my opinion to each his own

Technically that hole is there to allow for the car to read the fob when the fob's battery is dead (passive power, just like how your access card at the office works), or to program a new fob. I think that location would be a little bit cumbersome to store the fob when driving, but it could work.

Like the others have said, I think that "drummeling" a random slot in the interior of the car is a touch ghetto-tastic, but I guess it serves the purpose and would be easy enough to fix with a new trim piece in the future.

Dr. Design
07-26-10, 04:28 PM
That piece can be easily replaced at a later date if he chooses to replace it. However it should be noted that the vehicle already has a designated spot you can put your key FOB. Look inside the center console arm rest. You will notice a nice little slot that the key FOB fits into without any issues.

Thanks,

Dr. Design
D3 Cadillac

TMC CL65
07-26-10, 04:56 PM
I didn't know about that spot in the center console for the key fob... I wish I knew about that before I "drummeled" a hole in my head....

Tom

mugatu22
07-26-10, 06:18 PM
However it should be noted that the vehicle already has a designated spot you can put your key FOB.

"Drummel" FAIL. This must be embarrassing for the OP. :banghead:

Justinall
08-16-10, 06:49 PM
Moparman4444

Is that a "bump key" attached to your key fob?

lexpar
08-16-10, 08:41 PM
Ouch!

saintnickatnite
08-16-10, 10:54 PM
I flag ghetto on the play. You don't deserve your car. Please surrender it asap. I'll fix it and save it from abuse. While you are at it, please surrender your "drummel", which clearly is a knock off of the oft-misused Dremel- just to prevent you from inflicting further damage.
Fsck you and your "dimentions", "cushen" and whatever else you achieve in tem minutes...

cdog533
08-17-10, 01:12 PM
Moparman4444

Is that a "bump key" attached to your key fob?

LOL.. That IS a bump key!
http://www.lock-bumping.com/images/lock-bumping-key.jpg

FSTCADY
08-17-10, 01:55 PM
Did you cut into the trim for that???

I use the ash tray for the key fob....fits pretty nice in there and won't fly around at 2G's!!