: Squeak when shifting

99Villin
07-23-10, 06:56 PM
Okay, I've heard this on lots of different automatic cars (The most notable I can remember was a P71 Crown Vic) - when you're really getting on it accelerating right as you change gears the transmission will make a SQUEAAAK. It doesn't happen any other time except when changing gears - it varies in length and volume depending on the car, the Crown Vic I heard it on made a loud one probably a half second or more long (seemed long in person). My DeVille does a small SQUEAK probably about 1/4 a second or less shifting under hard acceleration from 1st to 2nd.

I've always wondered what this noise is and what it's caused by. I have three other cars and none of them squeak when shifting - the Caddy is the first I've had that does. Could someone tell me what it is? I'm sure it's probably something simple, but I have no idea what it would be. I used to think it was a RWD thing since Crown Vics and some Mustangs I've heard do it, but since my Caddy does it too and it's FWD I know that's not the case. Does it do any damage or is it a sign of anything?

Jesda
07-30-10, 06:52 AM
I had a Mazda do this to me. Right before a shift the car was at peak RPM, so the bad pulley (whichever one it was, I never figured it out) loudly complained about it. After shifting, revs would dip again.