: Synthetic Oil Req'd By Warranty?

Esquire02
07-23-10, 05:49 PM
I took my 2010 SRX in for its first oil change today and was told that synthetic oil is required in order to maintain the warranty...this has to be BS....:lies:

I was not in the mood to debate it this morning and generally prefer synthetic over conventional anyway, but it doesn't give me a lot of faith in the dealer if this is not true but he is telling me this to jack up costs of service.

Anyone know if I was being fed a line?

sube5186
07-23-10, 08:41 PM
Oil for the SRX must meet GM Standard GM4718M. This generally means synthetic oil "is" required. If ever you question anything the service techs tell you, read your manual. It will give you solid ground to refute any erroneous info they may provide. In this case, they are dead on. Page 9-11 explains everything about types of oil required.

Sube

TheCaptain
07-24-10, 01:58 AM
Yep, any and all oil must meet 4718M. Which is most synthetics, and not much else for oil.

drwatt
07-24-10, 04:14 AM
Pep Boys will give you 5 Qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobile 1 filter for $$29.99, or $49.99 if you want them to change it. The offer is in an add in Illinois.

Not bad since for warranty they say you can change every 10K miles.

algiorda
07-24-10, 12:16 PM
Pep Boys will give you 5 Qts of Mobil 1 and a Mobile 1 filter for $$29.99, or $49.99 if you want them to change it. The offer is in an add in Illinois.

I hear of so many horror stories from these Oil changes places from them forgetting to put the oil in to stripping or leaving the drain plug off. I either let the dealer do it or I do it myself.

drwatt
07-25-10, 02:01 PM
I've had a drain plug stripped at a dealer shop too. Go figure.

Esquire02
07-25-10, 10:13 PM
Thanks, I was not sure while sitting in the "chair" talking to the service guy and was not ready to whip out the manual and dispute it. i prefer synthetic anyway and he gave me a deal of $79 for oil change and tire rotation including inspection of brakes, etc. so I was not too concerned. Everyone here is loaded with info so I thought I would throw it out there the lazy way just to make sure I was not get a song and dance.

mrdci
09-24-10, 07:05 PM
Thanks, I was not sure while sitting in the "chair" talking to the service guy and was not ready to whip out the manual and dispute it. i prefer synthetic anyway and he gave me a deal of $79 for oil change and tire rotation including inspection of brakes, etc. so I was not too concerned. Everyone here is loaded with info so I thought I would throw it out there the lazy way just to make sure I was not get a song and dance.

I was just raped at Lindsay Caddy. $116 for the first oil change and I waited 3hrs. $25 for the filter and $50 for the oil. I should have checked the price before I made the appointment but I figured how much could it be. Even BMW doesnt charge these stupid prices for a $3 filter. I won't ever go back to that place. Everyone in service was over 55 they just rob old people of thier money cause they don't know any better.

bobarry
09-24-10, 08:13 PM
I was just raped at Lindsay Caddy. $116 for the first oil change and I waited 3hrs. $25 for the filter and $50 for the oil. I should have checked the price before I made the appointment but I figured how much could it be. Even BMW doesnt charge these stupid prices for a $3 filter. I won't ever go back to that place. Everyone in service was over 55 they just rob old people of thier money cause they don't know any better.

Thanks for the 'warning'. I haven't taken my SRX in yet, so I'll call first.

I just had my Saturn Sky changed (& filter) and tires rotated and the total cost was $23.31 + $24 for the oil I bought at Walmart and provided to them. I checked and they charge about $14 MORE if you let them provide the oil.

$47.31 total cost ain't bad. So here's someone over 55 (I'm 70) that isn't going to be gypped. :)

After I check @ my Caddy dealer (next door to the Saturn place) I may land up letting Saturn do the SRX.

Bo

Other car is a ?
09-24-10, 10:37 PM
I was told that the oil service & tire rotation is no charge for the first 4-years 80, kilometers (50, miles) while the warranty is active. Was I lied to?

bobarry
09-24-10, 10:47 PM
I was told that the oil service & tire rotation is no charge for the first 4-years 80, kilometers (50, miles) while the warranty is active. Was I lied to?

Yipes, I'm glad you reminded me. I did get suckered into getting 3 years of oil changes for $600. I'm still mad at myself for signing up for it. I did cancel the $2400 'extended warranty' when I read the fine print.

I don't think you get anything free though. If you do, I'll be even madder (dumber). :)

Bo

stevec5375
09-25-10, 07:23 AM
Folks, you need to start specifying if you have the 2010 or 2011 model because the 2011 model does get some "freebies" that we 2010 owners don't. Also, if you have the Canadian model I believe you get some freebies as well.

RippyPartsDept
09-25-10, 09:21 AM
an oil filter for a 2.8L SRX turbo shouldn't be more than $17 (we sell them for much less if you're getting the oil change done in the shop)
we do charge $50 for mobil1 5w30 - that stuff is getting expensive

gm is changing the spec on their oil requirements though for new models go the proprietary Dexos standard (there's a few threads on here about dexos if you're interested)
once we can get it, we'll be replacing our mobil1 tank with dexos
dexos is supposed to be less expensive than mobil1 (since GM owns it i would guess that it will be cheapest at dealerships)

RightTurn
09-25-10, 06:44 PM

This is true for Canadians; not Americans. :(

RippyPartsDept
09-25-10, 08:11 PM
new cadillacs (2011) have a similar free services offer - i just saw a poster in our conference room that hasn't been put up yet
saabs have had this for a while

TheCaptain
09-25-10, 08:41 PM

This is true for Canadians; not Americans. :(

RT has this under control.:thumbsup: Us Canadians do get something for paying the premium over US vehicles! :)

RippyPartsDept
09-25-10, 09:47 PM
here's the info i was referring to http://www.cadillac.com/premium-care/

Marc NY
09-26-10, 04:13 PM
I was just raped at Lindsay Caddy. $116 for the first oil change and I waited 3hrs. $25 for the filter and $50 for the oil. I should have checked the price before I made the appointment but I figured how much could it be. Even BMW doesnt charge these stupid prices for a $3 filter. I won't ever go back to that place. Everyone in service was over 55 they just rob old people of thier money cause they don't know any better.I had that happen to me at a Chevy Dealer once. They charged me $92.00 for a Mobil 1 oil change on my SSR. I now make sure I ask before I let any dealer do mine. FYI: I ask around at other GM dealers to see where I can get my best deal.

*NOTE: I know some dealers will bulk at this idea but I have brought in my own Mobil 1 and the dealer only charged me for the oil filter and labor. :)

**Buy your Mobil 1 at SAMS Club! Best prices around.

RippyPartsDept
09-26-10, 04:39 PM
we have customers who bring in their own oil and filter all the time, it's not a big deal (to us at least)

cts4ever
10-23-10, 09:50 AM

That Pep Boys offer must have been good nationwide. I took advantage of it here in PA a few months ago, and finally changed the oil in my wife's 2010 SRX this past weekend. (I change oil every 5K interval.) For 30 bucks you got 5 qts. of oil (you'll need 6), AND a Mobil 1 filter (rated very good). Changing the oil couldn't have been easier. The transverse 6 filter location is easy to see, get to, and remove from above. The drain plug (15mm) is located on the passenger side just forward of the front wheel. You won't even need to raise the vehicle!
As for comments on whether Mobil 1 is needed or not... Why not put the best "blood" you can in your engine?? We've been using Mobil 1 in all our cars since 1983. Some of those cars had 150,000 miles on them before we sold them, and none ever had engine issues, or even a hint of burning oil. Now the question is: Is the new Castrol synthetic REALLY better than Mobil 1?...

RippyPartsDept
10-23-10, 11:05 AM
Some further reading: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2008-cadillac-cts-general-discussion/209154-gm-no-longer-specs-mobil-new.html

ewill3rd
10-23-10, 01:51 PM
mrdci, first I'd like to respectfully say that "rape" is an awful word. It is a violent act and while it may be socially acceptable to use it when complaining, I'd like to express my dissatisfaction with your use of it in this context.
Secondly, if you have a problem with our pricing or our service we have a telephone number that you can use to reach the Service Director and explain your dissatisfaction. (703-647-8640) Jumping on to the internet and complaining about our prices is fine, but I'd ask you to do it a bit more tactfully and give us a chance to work with you first.
I don't control pricing and I know it is expensive to maintain these vehicles so I am not sure what to say except that we do offer discounts and we email coupons out to our regular customers for maintenance services if we have your email address on file.
I won't make excuses for the wait except to say that we stay plenty busy because people appreciate what we do at Lindsay, and we do things as quickly as we can the proper way.
Finally, I doubt you will find another dealer in the area that will truly do a better job servicing your vehicle.

If you ever have any questions about your vehicle please feel free to contact me directly via the forum in posts or by PM and I'll do whatever I can to help.
Best wishes.

GeeVee
10-23-10, 03:21 PM
For what it`s worth, I will stay with Mobil 1. It is a proven product and that is good enough for me.

zinner
10-25-10, 09:18 PM
oil change at the dealership > quick lube places.
112 dollars for an oil change is quite a bit of change. I am also miffed that the GM dealers put out signs and ads for 30 minute oil changes and it's was always more than 30 minutes for me.

I always go into the dealership with low expectations, I know you shouldn't have to but it keeps my anger down and sanity intact.

PJ1520
10-26-10, 11:23 AM
mrdci, first I'd like to respectfully say that "rape" is an awful word. It is a violent act and while it may be socially acceptable to use it when complaining, I'd like to express my dissatisfaction with your use of it in this context.

Secondly, if you have a problem with our pricing or our service we have a telephone number that you can use to reach the Service Director and explain your dissatisfaction. (703-647-8640) Jumping on to the internet and complaining about our prices is fine, but I'd ask you to do it a bit more tactfully and give us a chance to work with you first.

I don't control pricing and I know it is expensive to maintain these vehicles so I am not sure what to say except that we do offer discounts and we email coupons out to our regular customers for maintenance services if we have your email address on file.

I won't make excuses for the wait except to say that we stay plenty busy because people appreciate what we do at Lindsay, and we do things as quickly as we can the proper way.

Finally, I doubt you will find another dealer in the area that will truly do a better job servicing your vehicle.

If you ever have any questions about your vehicle please feel free to contact me directly via the forum in posts or by PM and I'll do whatever I can to help.

Best wishes.

EWILL,

I respect your comment over the use of words. I do firmly believe in open discourse between a dealer and a customer over pricing. And yes, I do expect/accept that a dealer will be the high priced spread if for no other reason than their overhead is, and is expected to be, higher. In essence, I should be ready and willing to pay a higher price to get the whole package, or I am free to go elsewhere.

But I also believe that $116 for an oil change (with disposal fees) is way out of wack, the length of the wait notwithstanding. And a bread and butter routine service item like an oil change, and its price, should not be a bone of contention. My Cadillac dealer is the top rated Cadillac dealer (sales and service) within 40 miles of my home. Oil and filter changes at my Cadillac dealership are $26 or 22% lower than what your dealership charges.

While I understand you personally don't establish pricing where you work, I think you can understand mrdci's point.

If routine, customer-responsible out of pocket maintenance helps develop or retain a customer relationship, gets the customers into the shop, and keeps the customers coming back for the more expensive stuff, don't you think driving them away in the first place over an oil change price is counterproductive to your service business? Or to your business retention with down the road new and pre-owned vehicle sales? Your satisfied-customer referral business? And your collision shop business?

What does your Cadillac dealership bring to the table that my Cadillac dealership does not?

ewill3rd
10-26-10, 01:26 PM
I do indeed understand mrdci's point.
I can't really speak to the basis of our pricing, I am sure my Service Director could explain much better than I can but the price is what it is.
We have a staff that is dedicated to doing "quick lube" services that should be handling jobs such as this in as timely a fashion as possible. I have no idea what factors were involved in delaying this service, but we are notorious for working with our customers to make sure they are completely satisfied.

I think the issue here is that the customer was not made aware of the total price before the service was performed. We certainly would like to see these vehicles on a regular basis but by no means are you required to have the services done at a dealer.
I can't speak for my entire company regarding much of anything but I assure the customers who's cars I work on that they are getting the best service they can get, a trained professional looking their car over, and the attention to detail a Cadillac owner would expect, and when the unforseen happens a complete effort to "make it right".

A lot of the pricing issue is where you are. I know our labor rates are higher in the DC Metro area than many parts of the country. I don't know about parts pricing.
As a tech I try to concentrate on the nuts and bolts issues and leave the money stuff to the people up in the offices.
Are you in this area PJ?

PJ1520
10-26-10, 05:05 PM
Honestly EWILL, I'm not trying to bust your chops, attack your dealership, or tee off on Cadillac/Gm in general. I understand you don't set pricing or policy. I laud you for defending your employer. And I respect your personal work and quality ethic. Many lesser employees would be going through the motions and be less than conscientous. Every single one of us are surrounded by these useless types where we work, and somehow they seem to survive. No good deed shall go unpunished.

You make a good point......that the fixed overhead in the metro DC area is going to be way higher for a dealer than out in the boonies. I would suspect the labor rates would also be higher. I live in the metro Boston area, not as bad as metro DC but higher than in the boonies here. Dealers always want to locate themselves in high traffic volume and population concentrated areas......as do all of the other businesses. I'd bet my dealer's overhead is far lower than yours, so my oil changes would be correspondingly lower I would think.

Re the delays with the dedicated quick change oil guys at your dealership. I would suspect they handle expected customers, drop-in (unannounced) customers, and also the cars in the service area for other things. No appointments. So delays and backups are going to happen. You have to staff and set aside lifts for what could be normally expected, not the crush of customers you can't anticipate.

I think you are correct, that the discussion of the price of the oil change was inadvertantly missed up front......by both parties.

I would be interested in what the Service Director might say about the oil change price mrdci and others receive. It might make sense, but then it might not. The dealership's service bread and butter is certainly not in oil changes. Either is Jiffy Lube's. It's in the upsell.

In the case of the dealership's service area, the gross profit is really in the parts and repairs and the "while you are at it" stuff. When a customer has time to think, he starts thinking about the service items he has put off. I know I do. He might even start browsing through the new and pre-owned inventory. I know I do. The smaller things, once you have the captive audience, can always lead to larger things. In the case of mrdci, I am fairly certain he was aware that his oil change would be far more expensive than at a quick change franchise......just not that expensive. The wait exacerbated his sticker shock.

if you ask your service director about the oil change pricing, he might not know "why." He might even take offense at you asking the simple question. On the other hand if you suggest that a lower price might suck in more customers for other stuff, he might be more receptive. Then he'll steal the idea and run with it as his own. ;) Who knows?

One of the guys in this forum noted that if we spent as much energy communicating our reasonable expectations with our dealers up front as we do fussing, fretting, and as he put it "whining," we would all be far better off.

That reminds me, I need a cabin air filter replaced when I go back to my dealer. Upsell!!!! ;)

PJ

ewill3rd
10-26-10, 09:53 PM
PJ, honestly knowing my SD I am sure he has put a great deal of thought into our menu pricing.
I think parts just tells him what the pricing is on the oil and filter and he just has to adjust the rest. He is a very detail oriented fellow.
Without going into labor rates, a topic I know precious little about and don't want to get myself in trouble or misrepresent my company, I know our rates are fair for this market and I also know that we have lower labor rates for tires and oil change services since they are usually done at a lower skill level. I am sure that is taken into account also.

I doubt he would be upset by me asking about his pricing structure but I doubt he would want me dissecting it on the web.

Personally, and this cheeses my boss a little bit, I don't push for the upsell unless it is safety oriented or I think it REALLY needs done. Upselling is part of our business, yes, but honestly there is a breaking point where you can drive business away by pushing for too much work, even if it is necessary.
If I do upsells I usually lay out the cost per service and lay down priorities for the customer and let them decide if they want to do it all or spread it out and piece meal it.
The main reason I do that is because I specialize in many areas and I am so busy I have a hard time keeping up even with 2 bays and a helper. I usually have a backlog by Tuesday that is about 9-11 cars deep so trying to find MORE work... well you get the point.
As stated if I see something that is a safety item or blatantly necessary then of course I will bring it to the customer's attention.

But I digress. Thanks for the interesting conversation, as stated I try to concentrate more on getting the cars through than what the bill is. It is just the cost of doing business from my perspective.