: 2011 Infiniti QX56.....say whaaaaat???

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-10, 05:16 PM
I saw one of these last night at the local Infiniti dealer and had to make a post about it.

http://media.il.edmunds-media.com/infiniti/qx56/2011/as/10/ny/2011_infiniti_qx56_f34_10-ny-as_40110_717.jpg
http://www.cars.com/features/autoshows/2010/newyork/coverage/images/2011_infiniti_qx56/2011_infiniti_qx56_0_430.jpg
http://rahmadi.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/2011-infiniti-qx56.jpg

Big luxury SUV's need hard-edged, square lines to really look good. When Infiniti tries to apply it's swooping curves and lines that work well on the G & M, it doesn't work so well on a 3 ton levithan.

But on the other hand, you'll never confuse it with anything else. :alchi:

orconn
07-23-10, 05:26 PM
Looks like someone transformed a cartoon in to an SUV. The guys at Nissan need a visit to Italy and see if Pininfarina has any openings in their schedule. Come to think of it several carmakers need to make that trip!

V-Eight
07-23-10, 05:35 PM
Gawd thats awful, looks like the QX raped the FX and that popped out....

Brett
07-23-10, 05:37 PM
it looks better in person, not a lot better but those pictures are pretty bad

gdwriter
07-23-10, 06:40 PM
It looks like a Mercedes-Benz G Class that was put in an oven and melted.

Rolex
07-23-10, 07:16 PM
Ewwwweeee. It's definitely no M. :pwn:

Infinity makes some nice vehicles fo sho, but they missed the mark there.

Jesda
07-23-10, 09:53 PM
My parents, big time Lexus fans, are actually considering the Escalade because nothing from Acura, Lexus, or Infiniti is a tolerable replacement for their 300,000 mile 2004 LX470.

Stingroo
07-23-10, 10:07 PM
300k miles in 7 years? What on earth do they do? lol

Night Wolf
07-23-10, 11:04 PM
I see Nissan Cube styling hints

Jesda
07-23-10, 11:49 PM
300k miles in 7 years? What on earth do they do? lol

Doctor on call, US/Canadian road trips, etc.

And with our family's go-to sales guy for cars having recently retired (my brother's Prelude was the most recent vehicle he sold us), my folks are left to wander around aimlessly looking for a vehicle.

If you find a good car salesman that's honest and easy to deal with, hang on to him.

MrBoffo
07-24-10, 12:22 AM
I hope it looks better on the road, I don't want to get stuck behind stuff that ugly in real life.

Stingroo
07-24-10, 12:40 AM
Um... I think I'm ashamed to admit it...

I kind of like that thing.

:hide:

Jesda
07-24-10, 01:55 AM

http://c2.api.ning.com/files/MOC7BqAcxPtvYUzcHPouIXnXyT8smen1iT4DD5ril-hS*HiKT0MtfuakycofSxBgqxMsPQLwVX-wjfWGCTBX9fEaj6ihVKGi/gtfo.barker.jpg :D

77CDV
07-24-10, 02:00 AM
At least this just looks odd, as opposed to the Hungry, Hungry Hippo-looking FX, which just looks fat.

hueterm
07-24-10, 03:24 AM

So do I -- and I'm not ashamed. The current one looks terrible....

ga_etc
07-24-10, 05:08 AM
I swear, in the right shade of green, it would look like the Hulk. From both ends. One angry, one sad.

Stingroo
07-24-10, 07:56 AM
Hey, hey now Jesda. Barker would never say such cruel things. He was the man.

Jesda
07-24-10, 03:26 PM
Indeed. :) Barker would tell you to come on down, play Pachinko, and hand you the keys to a new Infiniti

The Tony Show
07-24-10, 04:07 PM
Ick.

Stingroo
07-24-10, 05:12 PM
I would be sad and depressed if I didn't get to play either the Cliffhanger game, or Plinko. :(

Jesda
07-24-10, 06:51 PM
Oops, I meant Plinko.

What in the world is Pachinko?

ga_etc
07-24-10, 07:15 PM
Been watching the movie The Cutting Edge too much?

Jesda
07-24-10, 07:21 PM
Found a picture of a Pachinko game:

http://home.comcast.net/~barry5327/pachinko.JPG

I must have heard/seen it on a History Channel show, or something.

Sorry for threadjacking. Here's the QX's ugly-ass competitor:

http://p.webwombat.com.au/motoring/car-photos/lexus-lx-570-2-big.jpg

orconn
07-24-10, 07:26 PM
Oops, I meant Plinko.

What in the world is Pachinko?

Pachinko is a pinball type machine game of chance that is very popular in Japan. A steel ball bearing ball is launched through an obstacle course made up of pins with slots for prizes that the player hopes his ball will enter as it comes to the bottom of the course. Appearing as a small scale pin ball games (usually without electric enhancements or flippers) these machines are usuall played at Pachinko parlors housing many, mnay of the machines. Since gambling is prohited in Japan (at least when I lived there) the games' winners are issued premium tickets which they must take to a premium redemption shop where they will receive their prize .... which they can then exchange for cash! Convoluted, yes, but the Japanese seem to love the game. So much so that many, if not all, Pachinko parlors are own and operated by Yakusa. Yakusa are Japanese organized crime families which run various rackets and other criminal activities in Japan. Probably this is more than you ever wanted to know about Pachinko!

MrBoffo
07-24-10, 07:27 PM
So if Caddy brought out something like the Aztek they could "compete" in this class, right? They could hold a formal vote on which one elicits the most violent reactions.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-10, 05:59 AM
The Lexus looks way better than the Infiniti does.

Thank god Acura has stayed out of this segment. I can only wonder how godawful THAT would look. :vomit:

CIWS
07-25-10, 08:08 AM
Doesn't matter what it looks like, it's not what I'm looking for in the size of a vehicle. Now the FX50 or M56 would be a different story :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-10, 08:45 AM
That M56 is one super sexy sedan. Did you buy one of those yet Matt?

CIWS
07-25-10, 09:54 AM
Not yet. It's on the list to consider, but it will still be September before I do. :)

agp
07-26-10, 03:56 PM
That looks like an enlarged Nissan Cube with an Infiniti emblem slapped onto it.

Lord Cadillac
07-28-10, 10:07 PM
Doesn't matter what it looks like, it's not what I'm looking for in the size of a vehicle. Now the FX50 or M56 would be a different story :)

Nice choice in vehicles! I'm not crazy about the new QX either - but the inside is very, very nice...

http://photo.netcarshow.com/Infiniti-QX_2011_photo_0e.jpg

This post was sponsored by (see attachment)...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-28-10, 10:19 PM
Yeah, I had to take a closer look at some of these, so I swung up to a local Infiniti dealer today and they're actually quite nice inside, and the styling....it's growing on me. That new M37/M56 is SO nice though, from the rear it actually kinda looks like a Jaguar.

77CDV
07-28-10, 10:44 PM
Or the Jag looks like the Infiniti....

orconn
07-28-10, 11:26 PM
^^^ Unfortunately this may well be the case .... the Jag looks like the Infinity, or seberal other coupe topped sedans that offered in the ow priced to luxury priced markets. I don't think Jaguars current management realizes that Jaguars must offer something unique in the way of styling otherwise they are just another also ran luxury car with an very limited following. Perhaps Jags new Indian owners can givr the product planners a swift kick in the butt, or just find new ones who understand Jaguar's true place in the auto market.

hueterm
07-28-10, 11:28 PM
I'm really liking the new QX. It's a shame that we'll probably have to go foreign for a big, V8 SUV after the greenniks have their way...

thebigjimsho
08-07-10, 12:19 PM
That M56 is one super sexy sedan. Did you buy one of those yet Matt?

Maybe if you lay on the ground to look at it. all the magazines and advertisements show it being shot from ground level. From higher up, the lines look goofy. And it looks like they took the front end of the FX and stuck it on. It looks like an SUV front end. No offense, Matt...

CIWS
08-08-10, 08:03 AM
Maybe if you lay on the ground to look at it. all the magazines and advertisements show it being shot from ground level. From higher up, the lines look goofy. And it looks like they took the front end of the FX and stuck it on. It looks like an SUV front end. No offense, Matt...

No doubt, the newer Infinitis have that look that started with the FX50. Although on the M56 I know it brings the drag coefficient of the car down below that of a Corvette Z06.

CIWS
09-05-10, 08:52 AM
Nice choice in vehicles! I'm not crazy about the new QX either - but the inside is very, very nice....

Last week when I picked up my M56 I asked the sales guy about the new QX. They are selling the crap out of them. As much as 32 of them in a week from that dealership. So apparently someone out there likes them.

The new designs from Infiniti are coming from this concept vehicle called Essence.

http://www.conceptnissan.com/2000/2009_essence-02.jpg

and you can see some of that translated into the new M. Here's a pic of mine.

http://www.ciws.net/M56/m56day1_2.jpg

hueterm
09-05-10, 09:03 AM
That is the Mazda that Sal posted -- that coupe is hottest thing since the '69 Corvette (or whenever that shark generation started)...

I~LUV~Caddys8792
09-05-10, 09:27 AM
Mako Shark, '68.

CIWS
09-05-10, 09:46 AM
That is the Mazda that Sal posted -- that coupe is hottest thing since the '69 Corvette (or whenever that shark generation started)...

Which Mazda, which coupe ?

hueterm
09-05-10, 10:01 AM
There was a sedan version that Sal posted yesterday -- look at the "If this is Mazda's new look..." thread or however it was titled. And the grille ornament on the coupe above looks like Mazda's, not Infiniti's...

Stingroo
09-05-10, 11:06 AM
No, that's totally an Infiniti logo. Mazda's cat/bird/thing swoops downward, you can see where that emblem (what you can see of it) makes a point in the oval where it rests.

Odd that both cars look so similar though, but it was the headlights that gave it away for me initially. I wouldn't mind seeing EITHER of those on the road in real life. :)

CIWS
09-05-10, 11:34 AM
There was a sedan version that Sal posted yesterday -- look at the "If this is Mazda's new look..." thread or however it was titled. And the grille ornament on the coupe above looks like Mazda's, not Infiniti's...

Ok I went and looked at it, and I agree they have a similar design/look. However since the Infiniti Essence was shown at the 2009 car shows I'm going to have to say Mazda has been taking their ques from Infiniti. :thumbsup:

hueterm
09-05-10, 12:36 PM
Well, that very well may be... It would be kind of sad if it were the other way around....since the Inf will probably cost 2x the Maz...

orconn
09-05-10, 03:31 PM
I think they both have been getting their share of time at the Italian design studios. Which is great cause if the cars are going to have no headroom in the back and be claustrophic to be in side they might as well look good! Also this maybe the clear indication that Bangle has seen his day .... way over due in my opinion!