: The very worst car you ever owned?

orconn
07-23-10, 03:40 PM
Most of the cars I have owned were rewarding in some form or another, so I don't regret having bought any of them, with one exception.

In 1985 the Audi 5000S was the auto press's most highly touted sedan. They couldn't say enough good about the cars. So in a moment of irrationality (I had many difference of opinions with the hacks at R & T and C & D over the years) I succumbed to the purchase of a new Audi 5000S Avant (wagon). As it turned ou the only good thing about it was its' physical design. The first week I had it it suffered from spontaneous engine rev and if in drive spontaneous accelleration (yes the brakes could hold the car back but this was annoying and dangerous) which was fixed by the replacement of the CPU. Next the car would start normally if cold or just turn off "hot", but if the car was left for half an hour it would crank, but refuse to start. This result in the Audi having to be pushed to the exits of highrise parking structures so the tow truck could pick it up and take it , once again to the dealer. Next the driver's window regulator broke requiring a $500. replacement .... subsequently all four window regulators failed, the two front ones twice each. The starting problem was never fixed despite numerous tries by Audi service under warranty. Then the radio antenna fixed to the rear of the Avant's roof broke requiring its' replacement to the tune of $500.00.

The Audi was never very enjoyable to drive, being slow and with the automatic a real slug. Handling was fine. It would cruise at 80 mph all day ... but it also took all day to get to eighty!

My biggest complaint was that Audis were marketed at Porsche/Audi dealers so you were expected to be happy to pay Porsche prices (read outrageous) to have what was essentially a gussied up VW worked on by the dealer.

I was stuck with this lemon for seven years because every year's $2000. in repairs (just to make it driveable) had to be amortized on a car that tanked in the resale market. I ended up selling it for what I spent to repair it in a year and was glad to be rid of it.

Fortunately, the Alfa Romeo 164 I replaced the Audi with turned out to be the best car I have ever owned.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-10, 04:07 PM
There aren't many cars I hate more than I hate cold war era VW's and Audis. I may not like the Corolla, but atleast they provide reliable, cheap and economical transporation for millions each day.

I wouldn't say I've ever owned a "bad" car. I've liked them all for many different reasons, some had their strong points & weak points.

tr's-cts
07-23-10, 04:44 PM
1978 Buick Skylark. God I hated that car.! The car itself was alright.....but after being forced out of a Firebird and into THAT!..(because my Dad new the owner of the dealership )...I beat that car like no other!

cvettr/cts-v
07-23-10, 05:41 PM
1987 Mustang GT with.... an automatic:eek: ( the ex had to be able to drive it). Only had that car about 10 months of which the dealer had it around 2 months (iirc), so down the trade in road it went.

mitchjagger
07-23-10, 05:46 PM
The worst repair I have dealt with is the headgasket on my 97 Deville. The car had 127k on it so it was understandable. Prior I had been driving a 02 Saturn SL. I sold/gave it to my sister around 75k miles and at 80k miles the thing ate 2 transmissions, broke a motor mount and moans like your mother any time you start it up. The third tranny seems to slip a bit and hesitates but it still runs now at about 100k. It seems like it just hit a wall in its life and lost all respect for its self. Prior I had a 3.8L ford windstar that I ran on the raged edge and it never gave up. I spent absolutely 0 in repairs for the time I owned it, 100k -150k miles

Rolex
07-23-10, 06:09 PM
I've liked every car I've ever owned while I owned it, and loved most. But in hindsight I'd say the 99' Jeep Grand Cherokee was the least reliable lemon I ever owned, albeit one of the most comfortable. My least favorite would probably be the 84' Honda Prelude I had as a kid, with the 07' Ridgeline I bought a couple years ago coming in a close second.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-10, 06:11 PM
I guess if we're talking about what car cost us the most money, for me it's the S-Class hands down. Good god was that thing expensive to own, but it was such a nice car. I'll own another at some point, it's definitely worth the trouble.

Sandy
07-23-10, 06:21 PM
1966 Pontiac GTO Convertible, bought brand new. Red body/White top & Interior.

Car had 20 interior rattles & squeeks from "Day 1"
Power roof worked sometimes.
Both doors rattled IF you as mush as rode over a leaf!!
Selling dealer could not fix any of it.

Sold it after 8 miserable months and bought a 1967 Buick Gran Sport ...
had her for 3 years. never a rattle/squeek, leak and the top always worked, on demand. Sold 1967 GS for a 1970 Electra 225 Convertible. Another POS.
Struggled with it until 1972, when I defected to Chrysler Corp.

orconn
07-23-10, 07:23 PM
Gee, Sandy I didn't know you had such a miserable time with GM products. No wonder you are such a booster of the late sixties, early seventies Chrysler products. When I saw that you had something to sat on this subject, I thought it was going to be about your early eighties' Imperial coupe.

So many folks seem to think cars were much better built "back in the day", but from what I experienced during that time, and the fact that we were saying the same thing back in the 1950's and '60's, cars are much better assembled today than they were back then.

orconn
07-23-10, 07:29 PM
Chad, I don't consider the cost of owning a car to be the deciding factor in whether it was a good experience, or a great or bad car. One expects a real luxury car to cost more to maintain than a transportation car, but some cars, like the Audi, didn't deliver enjoyment commensurate with their cost and that linked with mundane component failure is definitely cause for a low rating.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-23-10, 07:36 PM
Yeah, I suppose. Part of the reason that car was such a pain (in comparison to my 3 other cars, all GM made and designed) was because the parts were so hard to come by, as was good technical support that didn't cost and arm & a leg, and the fact it was so unusual to work on.

LS1Mike
07-23-10, 07:41 PM
2002 Jetta TDI. Enough said.

Bro-Ham
07-23-10, 09:02 PM
99 Jaguar Vanden Plas. After the engine failed, luckily replaced under warranty, then I drove it cross country from MN to FL and the dealer in FL said the dealer in MN put the engine in wrong and damaged some cooling lines or some such BS, so the MN dealer shipped the car back up north to fix. Didn't give me much confidence in the car after all of this...but what the hell, a new engine = new car?! Wrong. A year later the transmission failed, six grand to fix what had quickly depreciated to be a 10 grand car. To this day I shake when I see Jaguars...as lovely as they drive and are sexy to look at, they are nevertheless pieces of poop. :)

gdwriter
07-23-10, 09:24 PM
In terms of driveability: '89 Hyundai Excel. Was OK around town, but on the highway, it seemed to struggle just to maintain 65 MPH. I still remember going up the grades between Phoenix and Flagstaff and the mountains east of San Diego, second gear, pedal to the floor, and barely doing 45 MPH. And the brakes were scary bad. Tiniest rear drums I've ever seen. I only kept that car 2 1/2 years; got rid of it as soon as I could afford something better.

In terms of reliability: '74 Toyota Celica. I bought it when I was in high school in December 1982 with 65,000 miles. It was pretty reliable until the summer of 1986; as it approached 100,000 miles, it seemed to have a nervous breakdown, with something new breaking nearly every week — or so it seemed. I drove it another 2 1/2 years and 30,000 miles while finishing college and starting out on my own, but the car was never really the same after that. One reason I settled for the gutless Hyundai was the Celica was once again running poorly and I felt it was on its last legs, certainly not worth pouring any more money into. Interesting that with double the mileage, Cruella runs flawlessly and likely has many more good miles ahead of her.

Sevillian273
07-23-10, 10:02 PM
1972 Ford Gran Torino.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3112902

Cons
-Puke green
-2 barrel carburetor
-4 door
-Valve seals were in pieces under the rocker covers
-The carb was a nightmare to adjust along with ignition dwell
-Cold starts took anywhere from 5 to 15 minutes
-MANUAL FRONT DISK BRAKES :eek:
-No A/C
-No heat
-No defrost
-Cracked windshield
-No head liner
-No carpet whatsoever
-Front seat was held down by C-clamps
-Lap belts only
-No gas gauge. Had to use a dipstick to check fuel level.
-One-speaker stereo with 8-track player (it was functional!)
-Rust Rust and more rust
-I had to tap the blinker manually or use hand signals

Pros:
-Price: $100
-Built like a tank
-Looks like a muscle car (from 500feet)
-Unique

Ranger
07-23-10, 10:04 PM
'78 Ford Fairmont wagon. Dad bought it new then I got it for the wife when the kids were small. Replaced everything from the cam & lifters to the transmission yoke, one piece at a time. I found out what Fix Or Replace Daily meant. What a piece of junk!

Destroyer
07-23-10, 10:16 PM

had her for 3 years. never a rattle/squeek, leak and the top always worked, on demand. Sold 1967 GS for a 1970 Electra 225 Convertible. Another POS.
Struggled with it until 1972, when I defected to Chrysler Corp.Wow, a '66 GTO vert is the last car I expected to have mentioned here. My '67 Cutlass 'vert is a VERY reliable car. Even at 43 years of age I can count on it to take me where I want to go (beach usually, lol). :thumbsup:

Destroyer
07-23-10, 10:23 PM
Well I've been through many cars, well over 120. The worst overall car I've had was (drum roll please)...........my 1998 Cadillac Deville. It wasn't just because of the N* and the H/G failure. It was the fact that the car was not worth fixing, not financially nor emotionally. It was and felt cheaply built from the get-go. Why dump so much money fixing a car that really didn't please you when it was running good? If I loved the car it would have been fixed cost be damned but I was nowhere near that with the Deville.

Night Wolf
07-23-10, 11:15 PM
I've enjoyed each of my vehicles and don't consider any of them "bad"

Most problematic would be my '96 Town Car, however it was an 11 year old car with 93k miles and mechanically neglected by the previous owner, so I can't really put the car at fault.... on the plus side, parts were cheap and it wasn't too bad to work on.

Really can't say much else about the others, any problems or issues were either a factor of the age/wear or enviornment. Nothing stands out as otherwise bad.

drewsdeville
07-23-10, 11:27 PM
2002 Jetta TDI. Enough said.

yes.

Jesda
07-23-10, 11:44 PM
God damn Crossfire. So much fun, so much failure.

ryannel2003
07-23-10, 11:49 PM
Since I've only owned 2 cars in 4 years I can't really comment. But if you strictly talk about $$$ wise the Seville def. takes the title. As it approaches that magical 100k mark it's starting to cost more to keep it maintained. Nothing too expensive but the nickel and dime things is what is killing it. I will keep it until it needs that repair that outweighs the overall value of the car. Hopefully it doesn't get to that point.

Koooop
07-24-10, 12:44 AM
If it were a cost thing, I'd throw in a few BMW's.

Since it's not, I owned a Chevette . What a POS, but the guy with the Audi may have close race for the biggest POS car.

I nominate the Chevette as the biggest pile of shit ever built.

Stingroo
07-24-10, 12:59 AM
Agree. My great grandmother had one of those for a long time, traded up to a Crown Vic in '92 when they redesigned them and kept it for awhile, then decided to give the Chevette to my mom. All I remember is going south to pick it up, driving home in it, and I don't recall ever seeing it again. I know it had a hole in the muffler, was godawful loud, slower than shit, and that's about all. I seriously don't remember that car ever residing in our driveway or being driven after the initial trip home.

Maybe it was a mercy killing and sent to the junkyard right from the road. lol

Night Wolf
07-24-10, 01:06 AM
Now i'm wondering..... whats slower? a gas chevette or a non turbo automatic Mercedes 300D?

I mean its literally sad when a golf cart accelerates faster, atleast to its top speed..... seriously.....

Stingroo
07-24-10, 01:09 AM
No no make it a fair (and slower) comparison! A Diesel Chevette!

Aron9000
07-24-10, 01:32 AM
My 1990 Seville STS. I was 18 at the time, and my sister was soon turning 16. She would get the tired 91 Regal I was driving(nice car, but age and miles had caught up with it).

So my dad told me he knew a guy who was selling his 1990 Seville STS. I didn't know much about Cadillacs at the time, but I love the Seville(92+ version), so I told him to buy it, sight unseen. We got it for a great price, it was in nice shape with 100k miles. Told me it was pearl white with a brown/tan interior. I was thinking it was the same bodystyle as the newer Seville, NOT!!!! What a small, ugly car, definetly from that era of GM where every car they made looked the same. Hell I'd confuse it with a guzzied up K-car variant.

I had it for about 2 months before we unloaded it for about $500 more than we paid for it. It drove nice, but man it was small and tight inside, and the dash was really goofy with the digital instruments.

Caddyshack100
07-24-10, 04:39 PM
2001 Dodge Ram with 5.9 Cummins Diesel, I spent more time in the Cummins dealership than I care to remember because Chrysler did not have any techs that could properly diagnose and repair the POS. I think that is Why Ford is now making its own Diesel engines, because I think they had to also send people to the International Truck dealerships. Its seems to be a crapshoot with these Diesels, you will either get a good one and get tons of miles on it or a real dealership queen.

HAZZARDJOHN
07-24-10, 04:52 PM
I've had good luck with cars and pickups, the only "bad" one I had was my '95 Impala, but I also loved that car more than any (Caddy Excluded). None of the problems were build quality though, it was the Knuckle head I bought it from. He "upgraded" everything in the motor. The problem is he didn't know what he was doing so I was always chasing demons. Finally after it spun a bearing I swapped motors for a stock motor. No problems after that. I bought the car cause it was clean, the motor was a "bonus" In my mind at the time. The car had never been driven in winter,

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/PB240095.jpg
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b55/Johnny1107/Impala/P5190099.jpg

^ The motor when I got it.

Submariner409
07-24-10, 04:57 PM
A 1972 Volvo wagon, 4-spd, f.i. 4 cylinder. Kid hauler: get this: 15 mpg highway !!!! Cam drive gears went at 2,500 miles, lifters at 5,000......... and the problems compounded daily.

When my ex- decided to bail out and go back home in '74 she took it, and it nickle-dimed her to death. Ask her about the fire from a fuel injector seal................TeeHee !!!

I will never, ever, drive/own a Volvo again.

83CADMAN
07-24-10, 05:33 PM

Struggled with it until 1972, when I defected to Chrysler Corp.

My brother bought a 66 GTO convt. Brand new, blue with white top & int. the car kept bending drivelines. After the third one in 6 mos., he traded it in for a new Caddy. Beautiful car through.
For me…It would have to be a 60 Studebaker Lark Wagon. It had a Y-block 289 V8 that was so worn out you couldn’t keep it tuned and fouled new plugs within 10 min. I put in a set of sparkplug spacers (from J C Whitney) to keep it running. What a POS. Once I bumped the curb with the right front wheel, it not only exploded but the radiator followed suite and emptied all the coolant on the spot.

Destroyer
07-24-10, 10:19 PM
Now i'm wondering..... whats slower? a gas chevette or a non turbo automatic Mercedes 300D?

I mean its literally sad when a golf cart accelerates faster, atleast to its top speed..... seriously.....
I had a few 240D Mercedes. A '68 and a '74. You are absolutely correct they are slow as hell but still held a charm of there own. They are pleasant "slow" cars and fun to drive even though there was virtually no performance. I am a speed junky but loved those old Mercedes diesels.

Destroyer
07-24-10, 10:21 PM
My brother bought a 66 GTO convt. Brand new, blue with white top & int. the car kept bending drivelinesWhat does "bending drivelines" entail? Drive shaft or did the whole motor/tranny and rear bend?:histeric:

gdwriter
07-24-10, 10:22 PM
I had a few 240D Mercedes. A '68 and a '74. You are absolutely correct they are slow as hell but still held a charm of there own. They are pleasant "slow" cars and fun to drive even though there was virtually no performance. I am a speed junky but loved those old Mercedes diesels.One of my best friends had a yellow '79 300D when he lived with me, and I loved it. It didn't feel as horribly slow as it probably was, and Nick's right, they've got a lot of charm. I've always liked the late 70s versions of the E and S Class Mercedes.

hueterm
07-24-10, 10:41 PM
In terms of the bleeding me dry repair costs, it would have to be the ETC. However, I do like the thing, as with all the cars I've owned.

Destroyer
07-24-10, 11:26 PM
One of my best friends had a yellow '79 300D when he lived with me, and I loved it. It didn't feel as horribly slow as it probably was, and Nick's right, they've got a lot of charm. I've always liked the late 70s versions of the E and S Class Mercedes.Exactly. You didn't buy one of them for going fast. You bought it for it's solid feel and reliability plus reputation. At the time I had my Mercedes diesels I also had Mustang GT's and V8 Camaro's and whatnot and still enjoyed the Mercedes but in a different manner. I respected the Benz and have always had a love for the smell of diesel fuel (weird, I know). It ain't always about speed and performance, if you love cars like I do you appreciate all types.

hueterm
07-25-10, 12:13 AM
I just noticed your car list, Destroyer -- you got an STS too?

77CDV
07-25-10, 12:18 AM
I've only ever owned Cadillacs, and never a bad one in the lot. :D

SDCaddyLacky
07-25-10, 06:29 AM
I would have to say my old 88 Dodge Caravan. It was given to me from my dad when I was 18, since he never really drove it, and I didn't have anything to drive at the time. That thing was a POS from the get go, it had the V6, but I think it only had 3 gears because the speedo topped out at 85 mph!! It had no features like A/C, tape player, cruise, nothing.

I had the car for about 3 years, the first year was ok, no serious issues besides for brakes. After the 3rd year of ownership was when the van started to have problems. The mileage was only 92,000, and the front seals started to leak really bad, morel like streaming oil. Luckily I was taking an Auto Shop class so I able to fix the leak at school. Well after doing a bunch of small repairs overtime, the transmission decided to give out, thus I junked the car for $150 and never look back. Overall, the van was garbage, the quality was crap. I was pretty solid body wise, it had metal bumpers and stiff metal, but the interior was trash.

1996 Dodge Neon:

Was my moms, but i drove it many times, another crappy car that needed the head gasket replaced. It rode badly, and squeaked all the time. Another car with shoddy interior build. I was a plastic paradise . It got stolen one day, (don't know why anyone would want the damn thing) it was found 3 weeks later stripped down, probably for parts that was taken across the border like 99% of the cars stolen in San Diego.

1993 Lincoln Town Car:

This isn't the worst car I have owned since it is a nice car, that rides and drives nice, but you can't deny that these Lincolns have constant problems from the suspension both front and rear, all the way to little things such as power window motors, to broken climate control buttons. Something is always, and will most likely fail on early 90's Town Cars because they are not built that well, mainly caused by using low quality parts. One of the most frustrating problems I had was passing smog. Town Cars are known to puff out smoke due to bad valve seals, well in CA, that means a failure because of the high HC count, unless to buy new CATS, and change the oil, while driving the car all day long, you might pass, but barely, like me. The interior was ok, actually more cheap than anything, especially the dash which is all cheap toy plastic (that would always make creaking noises), not nice quality vinyl like some tend to think. The car was quiet sometimes, had hardly any road noise, and the body was nice and tight even with a bunch of miles racked up. The drivetrain was good, I really like the 4.6 because of it's smoothness and reliability, but the tranny sucked, never liked how it shifted. Other than that, the car can't compare to my 94 FWB which is far better in every category.

That's it:D

OffThaHorseCEO
07-25-10, 02:36 PM
although i loved (almost) every minute i spent REALLY driving it, id have to say mine would be my 96 ETC. It was a good looking car, but hadnt gotten proper maintenance when I bought it on a whim:

The transmission had to be replaced like 5 times.
The vehicle speed sensor kept going bad.
The sunroof worked for like a month then broke.
The roof leaked because the aftermarket sunroof had the drainlines put in halfassed and they got clogged with the tar that they used to "seal" it. The interior started falling apart due to the sunroof leakage.
The catalytic converter clogged up to the point of no start and had to be replaced.
A brake line broke through and had to be replaced.
The engine started overheating randomly.
The speedometer would wig out sometimes.
The wipers stopped working right, I could turn the wipers on from the stalk, and they wouldnt start "wiping" until i hit my left turn signal. It had to be the left turn signal, right wouldnt do it.
Then, the turn signal indicators in the IPC stopped flashing, all while the bulbs outside were working.
Alternator went bad, I had to replace it.
AC compressor leaked apparently, I had no AC and after i replaced a bunch of O-rings and switches and components I still had NO AC.
My windows started randomly not rolling down or up. The worse part of this was that on a sunny day i would be sweating my butt off (no ac) and so i would hit the switch and pray, and the windows would roll down. But with my luck, it would not roll up after and it would storm later, so I had to tape the windows up with masking tape and a bag.

I'm sure im forgetting some stuff here too....I win.

(edit: o yea the power seat in the pass side only worked for a month, and after 3 months on the driver side only one side of the power seat moved. so instead of "how near to the wheel do you want to be" it was more like "at which angle would you like to sit" the recline stopped working too)

Koooop
07-25-10, 04:26 PM
No no make it a fair (and slower) comparison! A Diesel Chevette!

I don't know how patheic the 0-60 time of a Chevette Diesel is, but I sold MBZ years ago and I seem to recall 0-60 in a tick over 27 seconds in the 240D 4spd in one of the toads in about 1979. We took turns driving it, it was so slow it made us laugh our asses off.

hueterm
07-25-10, 06:24 PM
although i loved (almost) every minute i spent REALLY driving it, id have to say mine would be my 96 ETC. It was a good looking car, but hadnt gotten proper maintenance when I bought it on a whim:

The transmission had to be replaced like 5 times.
The vehicle speed sensor kept going bad.
The sunroof worked for like a month then broke.
The roof leaked because the aftermarket sunroof had the drainlines put in halfassed and they got clogged with the tar that they used to "seal" it. The interior started falling apart due to the sunroof leakage.
The catalytic converter clogged up to the point of no start and had to be replaced.
A brake line broke through and had to be replaced.
The engine started overheating randomly.
The speedometer would wig out sometimes.
The wipers stopped working right, I could turn the wipers on from the stalk, and they wouldnt start "wiping" until i hit my left turn signal. It had to be the left turn signal, right wouldnt do it.
Then, the turn signal indicators in the IPC stopped flashing, all while the bulbs outside were working.
Alternator went bad, I had to replace it.
AC compressor leaked apparently, I had no AC and after i replaced a bunch of O-rings and switches and components I still had NO AC.
My windows started randomly not rolling down or up. The worse part of this was that on a sunny day i would be sweating my butt off (no ac) and so i would hit the switch and pray, and the windows would roll down. But with my luck, it would not roll up after and it would storm later, so I had to tape the windows up with masking tape and a bag.

I'm sure im forgetting some stuff here too....I win.

(edit: o yea the power seat in the pass side only worked for a month, and after 3 months on the driver side only one side of the power seat moved. so instead of "how near to the wheel do you want to be" it was more like "at which angle would you like to sit" the recline stopped working too)

I feel better now....

Koooop
07-25-10, 06:58 PM
I had a few 240D Mercedes. A '68 and a '74. You are absolutely correct they are slow as hell but still held a charm of there own. They are pleasant "slow" cars and fun to drive even though there was virtually no performance. I am a speed junky but loved those old Mercedes diesels.

A quirky car that you had to love. I got a kick out of driving those.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-10, 07:24 PM
0-60 in 27 seconds?? Sheesh, it'd better be reliable! Apparently the 5.7 diesel '79 Eldorado did 0-60 in like 16 seconds, so by that comparison, the Eldorado is a rocketship!

orconn
07-25-10, 07:29 PM
I have to say, I don't get the romance of 27 seconds 0 to 60 mph either. Must be some kind of pheromone in the seat upholstery or something!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-25-10, 07:34 PM
With the W140 S-Classes, the diesel model was the one to avoid. I forget why specifically, but that engine was equipped with "sunlight seeking rods". :lol:

orconn
07-25-10, 07:44 PM
With the W140 S-Classes, the diesel model was the one to avoid. I forget why specifically, but that engine was equipped with "sunlight seeking rods". :lol:

"Sunlight seeking rods" that would probably sound really impressive in German! Ofcourse, Mercedes engineering would have an immediate explanation of the inherent superiorty of "sun seeking rods" and how they actually improved engine longevity by requiring timely replacement of these components!

Archer
07-25-10, 08:05 PM
Strange but those awful cars gave us the appreciation we have for the Caddys out front.
The worst has to be a beat down ole Datsun B210, the motor ran fine but it was every other part attached to it that held it back!

mhamilton
07-26-10, 10:08 AM
Can't think of a car I've owned that I'd consider bad, maybe I got lucky in that regard. My parents had a brand new '86 LeSabre that was lots of trouble. The 3.8L engine was fine, but then then-new FWD AOD trans went out at least 3 times, once only a few months after my father bought it. There was a piece of windshield trim that kept popping off and flying down the road, and the passenger seat recline broke, so if you leaned back too hard the seat would drop flat back LOL

I believe you're thinking of the 3.5L diesel, the "rod bender" 350 ;-) They were around in the late '80s as well. IIRC, the problem was that MB bored out the old reliable 300 diesel to get more power, but that made the cylinder walls too thin. Something like that...

Destroyer
07-26-10, 11:55 PM
I just noticed your car list, Destroyer -- you got an STS too?Yes, strictly to part out. The STS is pearl white/tan just like the Eldo. Nice ride and I almost feel guilty having them ripped apart like this. My mechanic's kid needed a job real bad and he is very mechanically inclined so I hired to him to dismantle cars for me. It is something I thought of doing for awhile now. So far so good. I'm on my second Caddy and did a '97 Lincoln M8 too. Doing a '89 300E and a '96 Eldorado next.

ben.gators
07-27-10, 05:34 AM
Yes, strictly to part out. The STS is pearl white/tan just like the Eldo. Nice ride and I almost feel guilty having them ripped apart like this.

Parting out a nice running STS! :confused: It reminds me skinning animals alive!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-27-10, 07:31 AM
Gross. Let's not start posting animal cruelty videos.

96Fleetwood
07-27-10, 08:24 AM
Hmmm... the two cars I have owned that left me stranded were a 1989 Mercedes 560 SEL and 2000 Chrysler Concorde. Cars that left me stranded-- worst in my book.

Destroyer
07-27-10, 09:26 AM
Parting out a nice running STS! :confused: It reminds me skinning animals alive! Sorry dude for such a harsh comparison, but somehow it reminds me this:

Dude, I'm not even gonna click on that. I really cant see how parting out a car and skinning animals alive is one in the same. Believe me, parting out that first Eldo made a lot of people happy. For instance: A guy had the same year model and color, smashed his front end. Needed a front bumper, hood, passenger fender and the front supports. He also needed the steering column. For $600 he fixed an otherwise totaled car. Parting out 1 car can keep several more on the road and it also makes the existing ones rarer.

Cadillac_Fan
07-29-10, 03:21 PM
A 1972 Volvo wagon, 4-spd, f.i. 4 cylinder. Kid hauler: get this: 15 mpg highway !!!! Cam drive gears went at 2,500 miles, lifters at 5,000......... and the problems compounded daily.

When my ex- decided to bail out and go back home in '74 she took it, and it nickle-dimed her to death. Ask her about the fire from a fuel injector seal................TeeHee !!!

I will never, ever, drive/own a Volvo again.

I take it you would steer clear of anything manufactured by Volvo Penta Marine, too?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-29-10, 08:06 PM
Did Volvo do the two-stroke engines too, or was that just Saab?

Bro-Ham
07-29-10, 08:16 PM
I believe you're thinking of the 3.5L diesel, the "rod bender" 350 ;-) They were around in the late '80s as well. IIRC, the problem was that MB bored out the old reliable 300 diesel to get more power, but that made the cylinder walls too thin. Something like that...

The 350 6 cylinder diesel was introduced in the 126 series for 1991 in the 350SD and 350SDL, and the same engine was available in the 140 series 1992-93 300SD and the same car with the new name, S350 Turbodiesel for 1994-95. 1995 was the last year of a diesel S-Class in the U.S. Also, there were no S-Class diesel models in the U.S. from 1988-1990, the 6 cylinder 300SDL Turbo was last available in 1987.

There were some problems with the 350, but any problems with a Mercedes diesel are noteworthy and I suspect more stories were told about the few bad engines than there were actual bad engines. I owned a 1991 350SDL back in 1996, black on black, and I really enjoyed driving it and a diesel nut begged me to sell it and I did. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-29-10, 08:22 PM
Screw the diesel S-Class! Gimme the V-12!! :) :) Who cares about economy anyways, you're in an S-CLASS! Nothing about these cars is cheap or economical!! :)

BIG ERN
07-30-10, 10:43 AM
87 Ford Escort bouht it new it had lemon written all over it, 5 timing belts the first one at 18k miles, numerous water pumps etc, it broke down all the time sold it cheap at 100k miles when the 5th timing belt shit the bed

Eric Kahn
07-30-10, 04:47 PM
Right now the car that is at the top of my list is my current 96 FWB with the impossible to find (and expensive so far) drive line vibration and drone at highway speeds
so far I have had 3 drive shafts 2 of which were brand new, a different rear end (cured the pinion whine, still have a vibration, tires rotated and balanced, new shocks and the stupid vibration is still there, starts at about 65 MPH and at 70 is really annoying
any ideas would be helpful

Koooop
07-30-10, 04:59 PM
harmonic balancer.

orconn
07-30-10, 05:01 PM
Right now the car that is at the top of my list is my current 96 FWB with the impossible to find (and expensive so far) drive line vibration and drone at highway speeds
so far I have had 3 drive shafts 2 of which were brand new, a different rear end (cured the pinion whine, still have a vibration, tires rotated and balanced, new shocks and the stupid vibration is still there, starts at about 65 MPH and at 70 is really annoying

I thought this was an affliction only affecting post '98 Sevilles and Devilles. My wife's '02 had the "shimmy" when we got it, but it was cured by carefully balanced Michelins.

I remember on some cars bavk in the sixties that the vibration was cured by carefully adjusting the drive shaft so that it was really well balanced. But this wasn't done at a dealership, but by racing mechanic friends.

Koooop
07-30-10, 05:36 PM

I had a Vette in a fleet that had a drone and vibration. We did all sorts of stuff to that car. Surprised us all with a bad harmonic balancer.

Eric Kahn
07-30-10, 08:31 PM
The reason we eliminated anything in the engine is that it does it in neutral with the engine at idle, put the tranny in neutral at 70 mph and the vibration and droning do not change

JimMLINY
08-01-10, 06:35 PM
1968 FIAT 850 Coach! Parts were hard to come by and not cheap in 1975-77 years of ownership. Engine seized after a watepump install. Friggin pump was $75.00 and took 8 weeks to arrive to parts counter!