: just lost my oil pressure

Pete315
07-23-10, 01:44 PM
on my 94 STS with 164K miles. Car had a bad oil leak from previous owner, wound up being the oil cooler lines. I removed the oil filter adapter with all the cooling lines and installed a non oil cooler filter adapter from a parts car I had. Both O -Rings were in place. I changed oil and used a A/C oil filter. I'm sure it's not the oil pressure sending unit because I can here the lifters making noise now and a little bottom end noise. I shut car off right away. Oil is right up to full mark. I really doubt the crank bolt loosened up. Any ideas????:bonkers:

Ranger
07-23-10, 03:45 PM
Might have a piece of debris stuck in the check valve allowing the oil to drain back into the pan. Since the pump is not submerged it can't reprime. Try over filling the crankcase by 8 qts (16 total) and run it for a but revving it a bit to 3K. If that is the problem, this procedure will reprime the pump.

tateos
07-23-10, 04:59 PM
Or put the original adapter back on - and BTW, those oil cooler lines are not that expensive

Pete315
07-23-10, 07:44 PM
is this check valve in the oil pump? I do have a spare oil pump. Not that hard of a job to swap out the oil pump with engine in the car, just have to drop the front cradle. I threw the old oil filter adapter out and cooling lines. I can't see what could go wrong with the oil filter adapter I have in car now.I just don't want to go thru the trouble of changing the oil pump to find out it's the bearing causing this problem. I guess I'll start with adding the 8 quarts of oil.

Ranger
07-23-10, 11:09 PM
I guess I'll start with adding the 8 quarts of oil.
That's a LOT easier than changing the pump. I believe the check valve IS in the pump.

Pete315
07-23-10, 11:30 PM
well I added the extra 8 quarts. I started car and after about 15-30 seconds the low oil pressure warning went away and top end started to quiet down. I shut off car and removed the 8 quarts, then started back up. The top end noise is gone however I have a bad rod knock. motor is done. That small piece of dirt that clogged the oil pump ruined the engine. I only had car running about 30 seconds before I noticed the low oil pressure warning. by that time, the damage was done. Judging by the noise of the rod knock which is basically only when there is a load on the engine, a new set of bearings would not fix the problem. Even though I only paid $200 for the car because I wanted the nice factory chrome rims which are on my Eldorado now, I'm still pissed. have no idea what to do with this car now. I just put a $50 heater core in. before this oil blockage, the car ran real strong and quiet. A real shame.

Pete315
07-24-10, 12:18 PM
I just started up car to move out of driveway and the low oil pressure display just came up again. looks like it needed an oil pump at least.