: ac delco vs aftermerket

cleve
07-23-10, 01:32 PM
im sure this has been discussed on this forum before but i didn't see any tags related to this specfic issue. the issue is that the mechanic i use told me he only uses ac delco parts because of superior quality. i think its because he gets his parts from the dealer at cost and marks them up for profit. its the ac delco parts that are breaking in the car. im sure the aftermarket world is aware of delco quality and attempts to improve on it. the techs at the shop are gm trained and i feel comfortable with the work they've done in the past. i only go to them when its more than routine maintenance. the parts in question are the left front wheel hub (speed sensor malfunction), passenger rear window regulator, and trunk pull down motor. i have seen the parts on one of our vendors web sites and assume they wouldn't be a vendor on this forum if they sold low quality parts. in some instances the saying is true that you get what you pay for but i dont know if that's true in this case. especially when its buying parts from the dealer vs the internet. i respect the opionions of the forum community and any feedback would be helpful.

thanks

Submariner409
07-23-10, 03:35 PM
..............as the old R&R song went "My Momma told me: You better shop around.......................!"

Blanket statements about the quality or lack thereof in any product line will always come back to bite you in the butt.

In many cases the relatively small market for a specific part or type of part will limit you to a dealer purchase - an example would be the Intake Manifold Plenum on your 2001 Deville: dealer only........but the intake manifold port gaskets can be had from many sources.

cleve
07-23-10, 05:03 PM
i guess my main concern is that the mechanic seemed to almost get an attitude because i told him i was bringing my own parts. i understand that he covers parts AND labor if he gets them but he's charging me almost $50 -$100extra per part. im worried about careless installation because i didnt get them from him. he has replaced the devertor valve, radiator, and window regulator with his(dealer) parts before. my only other option is to buy a torque wrench and do it myself. would any of you consider it? it has been 100 degrees with no end in sight and i dont want to screw anything up. the wheel hub has priority. i have been lucky with my cars not having any major issues. KNOCK ON WOOD:banghead: if i am making a big deal out of nothing please tell me. i know he has to keep his shop going but i dont want to get ripped off. paying for peace of mind and getting ripped off is two different things.

i have the ability to change brakes and do routine maintenance but i dont know if the hub assembly is over my head.

cleve
07-24-10, 03:07 PM
fixed car with no problem. saved money on parts and labor. i guess i was being a puss about the situation:shhh:

Submariner409
07-26-10, 04:43 PM
No puss..........we're all entitled to our opinions. As an engine builder and part-time wrencher I know the fine line between DIY and using someone else's parts - I'll use customer supplied Clevite main bearings but he'll pay me for the time and yes, a few lost bucks on profit. If I supply the bearings he gets just about the same deal, except that he sees the money disappear all at the same time, not just my labor charge on top of his parts invoice.

cleve
07-27-10, 03:19 PM
thanks for your understanding and your feedback mr 409. my wife said that i'm probably too cheap to be on this forum but how else do i keep my cars alive? if i was that cheap i would've bought a kia.