: Incident on the Highway

stevenriz
07-23-10, 10:55 AM
Hello all, this is a paint question and color matching question. I have a bright silver 05 sts-4 and do a lot of highway driving. In a year I put on about 30k miles. Anyway, while driving home from work a couple weeks ago all of a sudden I saw an object coming at me from the left front and I just ducked and bam!! a bottle came out of nowhere and smashed the top of the left fender and windshield. Fender was dented and windshield was smashed.

brought the car to the body shop and had it fixed. Repair went well. Original GM windshield. New weather stripping. the works. The painter blended into the front door and the color really looks pretty good. My question is, from the front door to the back door you see the front door looks a little darker. In the sun the color looks perfect. In the shade you can see a difference. Is it just the clearcoat acting like a shadow or can something more be done? Should I just put a coat of clear on the entire side of the car? How normal is this?

next2pool
07-23-10, 12:53 PM
Hello all, this is a paint question and color matching question. I have a bright silver 05 sts-4 and do a lot of highway driving. In a year I put on about 30k miles. Anyway, while driving home from work a couple weeks ago all of a sudden I saw an object coming at me from the left front and I just ducked and bam!! a bottle came out of nowhere and smashed the top of the left fender and windshield. Fender was dented and windshield was smashed.

brought the car to the body shop and had it fixed. Repair went well. Original GM windshield. New weather stripping. the works. The painter blended into the front door and the color really looks pretty good. My question is, from the front door to the back door you see the front door looks a little darker. In the sun the color looks perfect. In the shade you can see a difference. Is it just the clearcoat acting like a shadow or can something more be done? Should I just put a coat of clear on the entire side of the car? How normal is this?

I doubt it's caused by the clear coat. Unfortunately I think what you are seeing is the typical difficulty in matching any metallics. They can look different depending on the angle and the sunlight. Even if the paint is perfectly matched, it can look different even due to the angle of the spray gun during application.

sdmfer
07-23-10, 03:48 PM
I had the same paint issue with my old pearl white GTA. Got in a little fender bender and the paint was never the same. The guy couldnt match it for Shiet :( Good luck though, maybe you could take it back to the guy and have his input?

Cadjiek
07-23-10, 05:04 PM
You always worry when the car goes in for body work. Will the paint match or not. The 01 DeVIlle I had before my STS had the right rear door bashed in a parking lot. They had to to do a re-skin on the door and the paint matched perfectly from all angles and in different light. It was silver too. The finish looked as smooth as the factory finish. I wonder if starting with new sheet metal with no paint on it it makes a difference. The thinner finish might make a diiference. Maybe one of our paint experts could jump in on this topic. My dad had a 98 Deville that was hit on the rear quarter panel and they could never get the paint right. It was always darker in the shade.

next2pool
07-23-10, 06:14 PM
You always worry when the car goes in for body work. Will the paint match or not. The 01 DeVIlle I had before my STS had the right rear door bashed in a parking lot. They had to to do a re-skin on the door and the paint matched perfectly from all angles and in different light. It was silver too. The finish looked as smooth as the factory finish. I wonder if starting with new sheet metal with no paint on it it makes a difference. The thinner finish might make a diiference. Maybe one of our paint experts could jump in on this topic. My dad had a 98 Deville that was hit on the rear quarter panel and they could never get the paint right. It was always darker in the shade.

The problem is with the metallics suspended in the paint itself. The paint mixture can be perfect, but the metallics "lay" down differently depending on the type of gun, the thickness, the angle of the spray, etc. It's very very difficult. Many times you have to respray an entire side up to a break point were you simply can't see any other panels that have the original paint.

stevenriz
07-26-10, 07:08 AM
thanks everyone for the input. I was thinking of having the entire side done. The fender where the dent was was simply blended into the door panel and no color made it past the middle of the door so that is why I was thinking the clear coat darkened up the panels. The Maybe I can post a pic. With the rain last few days the car is dirty and you can't see the difference now. maybe I can just leave the card dirty from now on :)