: Rainsense

Cad96k
07-23-10, 09:36 AM
I used rainsense for the first time today. Actually I would call it raindoesntmakesense, but let's carry on.

It was raining reasonably hard this morning but not hard enough that I wanted the full wiper system going. Assuming rainsense worked somewhat like intermittent wipers I set it at the lowest level. Well, the wipers instantly went to warp speed and wouldn't slow down let alone work intermittently. My only reasonable option was to use normal wiping speed (1) because rainsense wanted to use the fastest speed (2).

Is there a way to turn rainsense off so you have control over the intermittent wipers? Or, is this another computerized enhancement that someone thought was good for us, regardless of how we expect/want something to work?:hmm:

Nichelle
07-23-10, 10:29 AM
You can turn off rainsense. Change the position of the lever. You'll notice that when you hit the on position, the DIC will have a message that rainsense is on. In the off position, a corresponding message will appear. Sorry that you're having trouble as your experience is definitely not the way it is supposed to work. My rainsense system varies the speed in accordance with the amount of water it senses. With light rain, they work infrequently. In a downpour it switches to the fastest speed.

I'm short on time this morning so I can't look it up. But it's in the manual.

Good luck!

Johnel5
07-23-10, 11:33 AM
Love our rainsense. 2005 SRX did not have it and we really missed it. Ours works great, fast when need be or intermittently in light sprinkles.

Cad96k
07-23-10, 01:15 PM
You can turn off rainsense. Change the position of the lever. You'll notice that when you hit the on position, the DIC will have a message that rainsense is on. In the off position, a corresponding message will appear. Sorry that you're having trouble as your experience is definitely not the way it is supposed to work. My rainsense system varies the speed in accordance with the amount of water it senses. With light rain, they work infrequently. In a downpour it switches to the fastest speed.

Thanks. I'll see if I can figure this out so rainsense is off and intermittent settings are under my control. I'm sure rainsense works fine in a light sprinkle but I think my dealer put a coating on the windshield because the rain beads up. Therefore, I don't need to wipe as often, even when it is raining harder. Normal wiper setting (1) was more than adequate this morning but rainsense would only use fast setting (2) even when I turned the dial to minimum. This was definitely a situation where I wanted control of the intermittent frequency.

algiorda
07-23-10, 01:23 PM
I have to agree with Nichelle. Rainsense is working fantastic for me and is one of the SURPRISE features we received with our new SRX. I wish the rear wiper had it! I live in Florida where sudden rain storms and squalls are a part of life and it works like a charm.

coachk
07-24-10, 09:02 AM
Rainsense works great for me too here in Boston area

stevec5375
07-24-10, 11:23 AM
It seems that the dial that controls the speed of the intermittent wipers also affects how often the swipes occur with RainSense as well. Has anyone else noticed this? It as though it increases/decreases the sensitivity of RainSense.

Nichelle
07-24-10, 12:06 PM
It seems that the dial that controls the speed of the intermittent wipers also affects how often the swipes occur with RainSense as well. Has anyone else noticed this? It as though it increases/decreases the sensitivity of RainSense.

Yes, that's true.

Manual: 4 - 8 under Instrument Controls

Rainsense™
For vehicles with Rainsense, a
sensor located near the top center
of the windshield detects the
amount of water on the windshield
and automatically controls the
frequency of the windshield wiper.
Keep this area of the windshield
clear of debris to allow for best
system performance.

&(Rainsense Wipe Sensitivity
Control): Move the windshield
wiper lever to&. Turn the band
on the wiper lever to adjust the
sensitivity.

Turn the band up for more
sensitivity to moisture.
Turn the band down for less
sensitivity to moisture.
To deactivate Rainsense, move the
windshield wiper lever out of
&position.

TheCaptain
07-24-10, 01:14 PM

Yep, and it looks like Nichelle has that under control.

stevec5375
07-24-10, 01:17 PM
LOL!! Thanks Nichelle. I should RTFM. :o

TheCaptain
07-24-10, 01:20 PM

lol, we didn't say anything, you didn't hear it from us! :halo:

Nichelle
07-24-10, 03:14 PM

:histeric: Nope! You didn't hear that from us.

xrs01
07-25-10, 10:30 AM

Great advice for everyone, no matter what the product. Of course, that assumes everyone knows where the M is, and also that they can R.

No comment on the F.