: local garage gets joyride in CTS-V

Marcuse12
07-22-10, 04:47 PM
Took my car into a local shop for an alignment....owner there was real cool. Tech said he'd get it done in the am ASAP. I called at 130 pm, and tech now says its ready....Went to pick up the car, and the owner was not there....Checked mileage on car, 12 miles put on....tech claims it was to take to local alignment shop....checked on mapquest, only 4 miles each way....when cleaning the car, noticed a crap load of small stone chips in front of both rear tires....I have never done a huge burnout in this car....Is this the normal place to get chips after laying rubber? There is nothing behind the rear wheels....Needless to say I'm pissed, haven't talked to the manager yet.....BTW the alignment was perfect....Where to take this car without it becoming the local amusement ride??:mad:

lawnstripes
07-22-10, 04:52 PM
and thats why U WAIT to have it done........... my wife wont even take her V to the 2 local Cadillac Dealers........ they all come out when she pulls in and of course they want to take it out for a "test drive"

Domsz06
07-22-10, 04:55 PM
if your laying rubber there should be pieces of rubber on the back of the walls. Least that's where it is in my z06

Caddyscat
07-22-10, 05:57 PM
I swear, the two valet guys from "Ferris Buellers Day Off" always comes to mind when I hear these stories. Some think if the car is in their possesion - it's theirs with no obligation. I, too reset my mileage and G-meter when dropping mine off to the body shop. Nothing bad to report. People are just not right anymore. No respect.

Ross L
07-22-10, 06:06 PM
Stone chips in front of rear tires( where the fenders flare) are caused by rocks and such kicked up from the front tires. I don't think u have any proof of abuse. Plus you're happy with the work, right?

cbloveday
07-22-10, 06:17 PM
You could ask to go with your cart or reset g meter to 0 before handing over the keys.

Ross L
07-22-10, 06:37 PM
Yea,never understood the g meter as proof deal. " someone pulled out in front of me and I had to swerve. You should be thanking me for my incredible driving skills and not wrecking your car" lol

cbloveday
07-22-10, 07:34 PM
Yea,never understood the g meter as proof deal. " someone pulled out in front of me and I had to swerve. You should be thanking me for my incredible driving skills and not wrecking your car" lol

Isn't there a forward G right in the center of the meter? It would measure acceleration. Yes? No?

Ross L
07-22-10, 07:38 PM
Is there? If so, that's awesome! :-)

Gary Wells
07-22-10, 11:08 PM
Not to be rude, crude, & socially unacceptable, but I'll bet that you don't leave your car with them again, unless it is strictly unavoidable. I refuse to leave any of my cars anywhere, unless it it extremely unavoidable.

Razorecko
07-22-10, 11:16 PM
There is only 1 way for solid proof. Take a picture of your odometer with your cell phone. It takes an indisputable time/day stamp that can't be altered

Marcuse12
07-23-10, 12:23 AM
In reply to Ross, so these rocks all missed the front of the car and hit in front of the rear tires? Don't believe it....Why did GM put that paint matched tape in front of the rear tires? That area must take a lot of abuse from debris.
Oh, I noticed 2 very long burnout strips in front of the repair shop on the street; of course I don't know where they came from, but hmmmmm, I wonder.

Club Malibu
07-23-10, 12:46 AM
Our cars really need a VALET mode or something.

sybersport
07-23-10, 01:03 AM
In reply to Ross, so these rocks all missed the front of the car and hit in front of the rear tires?

If I'm reading this right, perhaps they dropped the clutch while in reverse?

Kadonny
07-23-10, 09:48 AM
If I'm reading this right, perhaps they dropped the clutch while in reverse?

No. If you drive this car and clean it yourself you will see that the lower portion of the rockers at the rear doors just gets beat to hell. The stones get kicked up from the front tires, not the rear tires.

I have a clear bra on my lower rockers and that helps, but my the back portion of my rear doors are getting beat even up near the door handles. The problem seems to be the large flare out of the fender (because of the large rear wheels).

To the OP, when was the last time you checked that area or cleaned that area? It could just be that you noticed the chips now and that they had been there.

Regarding the 4 mile each way trip and the 12 total miles, I do not find that unreasonable.

Marcuse12
07-23-10, 03:14 PM
You don't find a 4 mile joy ride by a 20 year old in a 556 hp car unacceptable? Its permissive attitudes like that which give these jokers the audacity to treat other people's property like garbage. Good luck out there gentleman....don't say I didn't warn you.

wfo
07-23-10, 04:06 PM
and thats why U WAIT to have it done........... my wife wont even take her V to the 2 local Cadillac Dealers........ they all come out when she pulls in and of course they want to take it out for a "test drive"

You'd think these monkeys would have gotten it out of their systems when they prep these cars as they come in.

And that's why I always have the mileage and the condition of the car noted with a walk-around with my V service manager. When they know you as this particular, they tend not to mess with you. :thepan:

Kadonny
07-23-10, 04:32 PM
You don't find a 4 mile joy ride by a 20 year old in a 556 hp car unacceptable? Its permissive attitudes like that which give these jokers the audacity to treat other people's property like garbage. Good luck out there gentleman....don't say I didn't warn you.

You know for sure it was a 4 mile joyride? You know for sure that the tech was not testing something or did not hit construction or a detour or something else? You know for sure there was not some other reason.

It's elitist attitudes like yours that give some of us bad raps. No I do NOT find 4 miles extra to be excessive. 20 miles? Yes. 4? No. Plus the assumption that it was a joyride and the total dismissal of anything else is wrong.

I'm done, sorry for my opinion.

BeagleBrains
07-23-10, 04:48 PM
Quite often, on rural roads, there will be a burned rubber parallel track with a slight zig-zag. This is done by people with cars with engines the size of a sewing machine. In order to lay down rubber, the car must take advantage of the reverse gear's much lower ratio in order to be able to achieve this "burn out" pattern. The zig-zag occurs because it is hard to keep a straight line track when hammering the car in reverse.
Whenever I take my car(s) in for service, I ask the service rep to read the mileage number when he first enters the car. He and I both clearly understand that I am aware of the mileage when the car was left for service.:rolleyes:

lavaman
07-23-10, 05:56 PM
You know for sure it was a 4 mile joyride? You know for sure that the tech was not testing something or did not hit construction or a detour or something else? You know for sure there was not some other reason.

It's elitist attitudes like yours that give some of us bad raps. No I do NOT find 4 miles extra to be excessive. 20 miles? Yes. 4? No. Plus the assumption that it was a joyride and the total dismissal of anything else is wrong.

I'm done, sorry for my opinion.

I agree that 4 additional miles is not excessive.

The alignment tech at the other shop (if he cares about his work) should have taken the car for a drive before and after his alignment. How else will he know if your car drives correctly when he is done? You cannot assume that because the alignment readings are right the car will drive as expected.

Add a few necessary miles for the alignment techs driving to the OP's calculations and you easily account for the 12 total miles.

Gary Wells
07-23-10, 08:01 PM
My 1st choice would have been to take the car to a shop that has their own alignment equipment.
I would just as soon that the tech, or anybody else, does not test drive the car, either before or after.
If it is imperative that the tech drive the car, I want to be in the car with him. If they pull that "our insurance carrier will not cover a passenger" then go somewhere else. It's apparent they don't want your business enough to believe in "The customer is always right".
Are you (anybody) sure that they test drive every car that they do an alignment on, or only the nice cars.
What kept the clown from test driving the car on his way to the alignment shop (test drive car before alignment) and test driving the car on the way back (test drive car after alignment). That would have been 8 miles and the tech would have probably sill flogged it to death both ways.
Why chance taking the car to a shop that does not do their own work?
FWIW & IMHO only
A joyride is a joyride, no matter how far. A good joyrider can and will flog your car in a 1/4 mile as you probably do all month.
Oops, I forgot that a 2nd tech was involved. My bad, but I still feel the same about the rest of my post.