: For 2011, Start, unlock, or honk horn of your GM car from a cellphone

algiorda
07-22-10, 02:37 PM
Start, unlock, or honk horn of your GM car from a cellphone

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/start-unlock-or-honk-horn-of-your-gm-car-from-a-smart-phone/1

That alley cat smudging your shiny new Chevrolet Camaro again with his annoying little paw prints? Even from inside your house, now you'll be able to honk the car's horn to send kitty fleeing -- from your mobile phone.

GM is announcing today that its OnStar system will have a smart phone app that will allow subscribers to start theri cars, unlock doors, honk horns or other functions remotely.
CAPTION
By OnStar
General Motors is announcing it is again expanding OnStar's latest features today, the ability to operate key functions of cars remotely from smart phones. Owners of new Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick and GMC vehicles who subscribe to the service will be able to do things like start their car remotely, honk the horn or turn on the lights and unlock the doors from their own mobile devices, not just the car's key fob. Previously, these kinds of functions were only announced as coming to a single new vehicle, Chevy's extended-range electric Volt, due in December.

"Giving our customers control of their vehicles with smart phone application technology is a key advantage of OnStar's in-vehicle connectivity," said OnStar President Chris Preuss in a statement. "This technology empowers drivers to make decisions about their travels well before they enter the vehicle, meaning their full attention can stay where it needs to be on the road ahead."

Even if you don't have a neighborhood cat, OnStar thinks the technology will be practical. It gives this example:

Say someone is racing to catch a flight and realizes once he makes it all the way to the gate that he forgot to lock his vehicle. OnStar's mobile app technology makes it possible for him to pull out his smartphone, sign into his Chevrolet, Cadillac, Buick or GMC app and send a remote lock signal down to his vehicle, giving him the peace of mind to go about his trip knowing his vehicle is secure.

Or, for instance, if a family is out enjoying a baseball game on a hot summer day, they could remotely start their vehicle from the ballpark as they're getting ready to leave so it's cooled down to a comfortable temperature by the time they walk out to it.

Yeah, and get there to find a bunch of strangers gathered around wondering why an empty car is idling on its own in a big parking lot. Will the car start talking or make a bet on the next game? That could be OnStar's next feature.

The new features will be available on 2011 models. In addition, the mobile-phone apps will provide owners who subscribe to OnStar with information about their vehicles like fuel tank level and range, remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure and lifetime average miles-per-gallon.

Nichelle
07-22-10, 10:27 PM
Okay, I kind of want this. I'm in Minnesota and during the winter this could really come in handy. When the remote distance or interference doesn't allow me to start the car from the office, I could really use this. Finally, I could have a pretty warm car by the time I walked there.

I like it!

sube5186
07-22-10, 10:31 PM
Okay, I kind of want this. I'm in Minnesota and during the winter this could really come in handy. When the remote distance or interference doesn't allow me to start the car from the office, I could really use this. Finally, I could have a pretty warm car by the time I walked there.

I like it!

Don't fret Nichelle. I know exactly how you feel. That's the way it goes with modern technology. They always come out with something newer and better RIGHT AFTER you buy something. Personally, I don't know that I'd have much use for this, but it would be nice to have just for bragging rights. :D

Sube

TheCaptain
07-22-10, 10:36 PM
This would be pretty awesome, if my cell phone carrier would get around to putting out some smartphones! (other then the BB). I want a Motorola Droid. :D It would be slightly better then my Motorola RZR 2. :rofl:

Nichelle
07-22-10, 10:40 PM
Don't fret Nichelle. I know exactly how you feel. That's the way it goes with modern technology. They always come out with something newer and better RIGHT AFTER you buy something. Personally, I don't know that I'd have much use for this, but it would be nice to have just for bragging rights. :D

Sube

So true! My 2011 list is growing. I could have keyless entry on the Performance model, the maintenance program and start the car from my cell phone. Hmmm, anyone want to buy a 2010 with 7400 miles on it? Okay, not really but I want the new stuff.

sube5186
07-22-10, 11:03 PM
This would be pretty awesome, if my cell phone carrier would get around to putting out some smartphones! (other then the BB). I want a Motorola Droid. :D It would be slightly better then my Motorola RZR 2. :rofl:

My wife just got the Droid X. She loves it. Unfortunately, I'm not due for an upgrade until Feb. By then I'm hoping the HTC Scorpion will be out. Motorola is also rumored to be coming out with a 2 Ghz processor phone by the end of the year too. I'd better stop now. I'm starting to drool!!! :drool2:

http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Mobile-Phones/ci.Motorola-DROID-X-US-EN.vertical#flash[B2C-DROID-X-WATCH-DEMO-US-EN]

Sube

algiorda
07-22-10, 11:12 PM
I have and LOVE the Droid. The apps are really cool.

The other thing I read in this article is that the OnStar Diagnostics will report your FUEL level. I don't see that in my current diagnostic report. I think that would be helpful in determining if I need to stop for GAS on my way home or to work.

Pretty cool stuff and I wish I had waited a few more weeks to get the 2011!!! Think the dealer would take it back at 500 miles?

sube5186
07-22-10, 11:59 PM
The other thing I read in this article is that the OnStar Diagnostics will report your FUEL level. I don't see that in my current diagnostic report. I think that would be helpful in determining if I need to stop for GAS on my way home or to work.

One problem with that. OnStar diagnostics reports are only sent out "monthly". I don't really need to know how much gas I have "once a month".

Sube

TheCaptain
07-23-10, 12:04 PM
Yea Sube, but if the app works as a snapshot every time you sign into it, it would effectively work. It depends how the app works i guess.

algiorda
07-23-10, 01:25 PM
I agree Sube, I was under the impression the OnStar diagnostic report was available on demand with the 2011. I'll have to go back and re-read the article.

sube5186
07-23-10, 09:48 PM
I agree Sube, I was under the impression the OnStar diagnostic report was available on demand with the 2011. I'll have to go back and re-read the article.

I kind of doubt the app will have the ability to give you instantaneous diagnostic reports on demand. OnStar would be tied up 24/7 with those demands. It's a moot point anyway, since none of us 2010 owners will have the feature.

Sube

Nichelle
07-23-10, 10:51 PM
I kind of doubt the app will have the ability to give you instantaneous diagnostic reports on demand. OnStar would be tied up 24/7 with those demands. It's a moot point anyway, since none of us 2010 owners will have the feature.

Sube

Arrrgh! That's like a poke in the eye. :crying2:

(Kidding!)

stevec5375
07-24-10, 10:52 AM
So true! My 2011 list is growing. I could have keyless entry on the Performance model, the maintenance program and start the car from my cell phone. Hmmm, anyone want to buy a 2010 with 7400 miles on it? Okay, not really but I want the new stuff.

You can never win the technology game. I'm like you, Nichelle, I'd LOVE to have all the new stuff too. However, there is always going to be new tech just around the corner. If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll wait forever and never buy a new computer, cell phone, or car. That's what keeps us coming back, again and again. :bouncy:

Ponyman
07-24-10, 11:45 AM
You're right Steve, if they didn't constantly add new whistles and bells, there would be no reason to buy a new car before the old one was completely worn out.

Nichelle
07-24-10, 12:10 PM
You can never win the technology game. I'm like you, Nichelle, I'd LOVE to have all the new stuff too. However, there is always going to be new tech just around the corner. If you keep waiting for the latest and greatest, you'll wait forever and never buy a new computer, cell phone, or car. That's what keeps us coming back, again and again. :bouncy:

You're definitely right. I work for a company that sells technology and I'm usually an early adopter. Being an early adopter can be fun but damn if it isn't expensive.

TheCaptain
07-24-10, 01:16 PM
Isn't that the truth!

Dean5101
07-27-10, 02:12 PM
I wonder if the app will work with the 2010 SRX with OnStar... Has anyone asked? I mean OnStar can already do those things right? They just needed a smart phone app to be developed?

SoftballDad
07-27-10, 04:13 PM
I wonder if the app will work with the 2010 SRX with OnStar... Has anyone asked? I mean OnStar can already do those things right? They just needed a smart phone app to be developed?

I thought the same exact thing and started searching the web. A couple of things I read stated that the new Onstar gerneration 9.0 hardware was needed (I guess we have 8.0). One of the 2011 Buick models was not getting the newer hardware and so would not be able to work with the apps.

Maybe/hopefully a developer will come up with some app for vehicles with the 8.0 hardware? I would think it would be prohibitively expensive, but possibly owners could pay to have the Onstar hardware upgraded?

TheCaptain
08-04-10, 07:07 PM
I found a vid describing the OnStar App. It does appear that it can ping the vehicle's systems at any time. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzXpQocrPhY

Nichelle
08-05-10, 10:17 PM
I still want it.