: Ticking/Clicking noise after start-up???

LFTW8S
07-22-10, 11:30 AM
New to the V as of June 30, 2010. I have noticed, after start-up in the morning, a Ticking/Clicking noice from the engine. I am not sure if it is always there but I really notice it in the morning when the car is running in my garage. I am a long time owner of GM V8 engine cars so condition called "piston slap" is not new to me. Anyone have this same issue and know what it is?

Thanks

lavaman
07-22-10, 01:11 PM
Is your V a new car or used.... how many miles?

Is it full of oil?

Is it a faint click or a heavy sound like a lifter?

LFTW8S
07-22-10, 01:30 PM
Is your V a new car or used.... how many miles?

Is it full of oil?

Is it a faint click or a heavy sound like a lifter?

Purchased new...500 miles now (purchased with only 10 miles on it), full of oil.

Might be a lifter. I can really hear it in the garage as the sound bounces of the wall. Doesn't make me feel real good!

07-22-10, 02:36 PM
mine makes the "can of marbles" rattle for about 30 seconds, that I assume is the isolator rattle that was a big topic a few months back. It's done it since day 1, and it now only has about 1700 miles.

search on "isolator rattle" or supercharger rattle......

Prof
07-22-10, 02:40 PM
Not to worry in my opinion...it is normal injector noise...it is very evident at initial start-up and subsides in 10 to 15 seconds...mine has had it from the start too. If it were the isolator it would continue...I'm at 22k...

Kadonny
07-22-10, 03:06 PM
Isolator rattle.......get used to it.

lavaman
07-22-10, 03:31 PM
Isolator rattle.......get used to it.

I too suspected the Isolator rattle when I saw your post... But you don't have to live with it. Many (myself included) have switched out the spring loaded stock isolator within the supercharger snout for a solid piece. I'm at 13000 miles since I changed to the solid isolator.

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-23-10, 03:54 PM
LFTW8S, I would suggest you have your local dealership take a look at the vehicle to make sure that the sound that you are hearing isn't anything out of the ordinary. Many here on the forum have experienced a noise like this as well so a short trip to the dealer could be beneficial to not only yourself but others as well to pin down what this noise could be attributed too. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Prof
07-23-10, 04:33 PM
LFTW8S, I would suggest you have your local dealership take a look at the vehicle to make sure that the sound that you are hearing isn't anything out of the ordinary. Many here on the forum have experienced a noise like this as well so a short trip to the dealer could be beneficial to not only yourself but others as well to pin down what this noise could be attributed too. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

Kewl Jeff! Thanks.

Very nice to see you folks check in!

Soggy Dollars
07-23-10, 07:39 PM
I also have the ticking noise in the morning at start up. It seems to only last about 15 seconds and by that time I am driving off.
I only notice it at start in the morning. I have just over 1500 miles on it.

readyact
07-23-10, 08:42 PM
New to the V as of June 30, 2010. I have noticed, after start-up in the morning, a Ticking/Clicking noice from the engine. I am not sure if it is always there but I really notice it in the morning when the car is running in my garage. I am a long time owner of GM V8 engine cars so condition called "piston slap" is not new to me. Anyone have this same issue and know what it is?

Thanks

At the 4:37 mark Jesse explains the source of the noise:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4Jh_B2r6Y

IBNR
07-24-10, 04:20 PM
The segment in Jesse's video from 4:37 to about 6:30 is nothing short of amazing to me, and I now have a copy saved on my computer "for future use". The visible wear on that shaft, the clear explanation of the "isolator rattle" noise (which I hear every morning when I start up my car), and the easy and obvious fix are things that GM continues to ignore at its own peril. His question -- "what the heck was GM thinking using a spring-loaded isolator?" -- is absolutely valid and really deserves an answer! The fact that GM is working on a fix for the front wheel clicking issue (which I also have) -- including full replacement of the front wheels with new machined mating surfaces -- while ignoring (or at least appearing to ignore) this potentially much more serious problem makes no sense. Even worse, if an owner fixes this problem with a solid isolator (from W4M or elsewhere), that owner has "modified" his supercharger and put his warranty at risk, perhaps for the entire motor! This one is a head-scratcher indeed, and I'd love to hear any thoughts than any of the GM customer service or techs that monitor this site might care to share....

OldRoadDawg
07-24-10, 04:39 PM
.... I'd love to hear any thoughts than any of the GM customer service or techs that monitor this site might care to share....
They already have responded:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/185476-engineering-response-s-c-shaft-wear.html
(http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/2070019-post1.html)

IBNR
07-24-10, 04:50 PM
Indeed they have! Thank you for pointing that out, and my apologies to all those for whom this must certainly be old news; I had not seen that post before. And thanks also to Ed for his detailed and thoughtful response. I hope the passage of time and miles proves him right....

GMX322V S/C
07-24-10, 04:59 PM
At the 4:37 mark Jesse explains the source of the noise:

YouTube- 2009 cts v snout pulley installation and wait4me performance parts (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm4Jh_B2r6Y)

Has anyone ever had a problem with the solid isolator where it actually makes the noise it is intended to solve? I thought I read a post about this in this forum about a year ago...

Gary Wells
07-24-10, 07:51 PM
There was a post about a year ago regarding a solid isolator making the same noise that was from the replaced factory non-solid isolator. The poster, one of the normal suspects on here, had either sent in his supercharger for additional work such as pulley or purchased the isolator direct from Lingenfelter and installed it. Lingenfelter either sent him a replacement or sent him a replacement and money to have the old one removed & the the replacement installed, don't remember which. Lingenfelter had advised him that there were some oversize isolators and he had evidently received one from them. I had to have D3 replace mine at 1230 miles. Quiet now.

ecorpuz12
07-24-10, 10:29 PM
i have the clicking at initial start up but it goes away like everyone else...don't notice it while i'm in the car though, a buddy pointed it out to me. as for the can o' marbles, i'm not going to jinx myself by saying it out loud but my supercharger has been well behaved so far.

since the isolator takes some work to get to, i'm assuming that this "mod" isn't easily detectable by service dudes for warranty purposes...please correct me if i'm wrong.

'09 with 9000 miles bought new