: How to update navigation

doctormstein1
07-22-10, 10:33 AM
Does anyone know how to update the 2010 navigation maps and poi's

Dean5101
07-22-10, 01:50 PM
Would also like to know this too. My dealer said you couldn't (just use OnStar is what he said)

larryk
07-22-10, 06:47 PM
http://www.gmnavdisc.com/default.asp?lang=en

Dean5101
07-27-10, 02:13 PM
Disc Search Results

This make, model, and year was provided for the search. Please review this information to make sure it is correct and this is the car or truck for which you are purchasing the disc update.
Vehicle Information
Year: 2010
Make: Cadillac
Model: SRX (GMT265)

The following discs are available for your navigation system.
Navigation Disc Part No. Price Quantity
No discs are available for this vehicle at this time.

cz9h3d
07-27-10, 04:09 PM
Update is coming for SRX ....typically timed around model change, so it should be available at the web address shown around September or so. As SRX utilizes a hard drive, you'll actually be sent a disk with a unique update code, put it in the slot, enter the code, and the update will be copied to the hard drive.

I would warn you to not expect any sort of miracles from an update - at least that's my experience from portable units (i.e. Garmin, TomTom). If you live or travel in an area where you've experience missing roads, then it makes sense to pay for an update. And I see the website is able to take feedback regarding missing roads, POI's, etc.

If you have specific issues, it would probably be worth it to go to a dealer and check out a 2011MY vehicle, and see if your specific map concern has been updated.

sube5186
07-28-10, 01:17 PM
Unless you drive thousands of miles a year in unfamiliar areas, there's no need to update the map database annually. The changes will be minimal and may not even be in the areas you frequent. I'll probably buy an update disc after about 3-5 years. Even then, I'll get if off of eBay. I've already found them for half the GM price. After people perform the update, they no longer have any use for the disc.

Sube

Dean5101
07-28-10, 03:59 PM
I have lifetime updates for my Garmin Nuvi, I like updating every year for new POIs and also major road changes that were made. I didn't like driving in the white space when they built the new freeway extension here.

cz9h3d
07-29-10, 10:02 AM
Unless you drive thousands of miles a year in unfamiliar areas, there's no need to update the map database annually. The changes will be minimal and may not even be in the areas you frequent. I'll probably buy an update disc after about 3-5 years. Even then, I'll get if off of eBay. I've already found them for half the GM price. After people perform the update, they no longer have any use for the disc.

Sube

What about the "unique code" that needs to be entered to update the HD from the disk? Is it just associated with a disk and allows multiple usages?

sube5186
07-29-10, 11:59 AM
What about the "unique code" that needs to be entered to update the HD from the disk? Is it just associated with a disk and allows multiple usages?

Good question. I'm assuming the code is associated with the disc. Otherwise the dealers would need multiple discs, one for each vehicle. Also, I don't think this particular eBay store would be selling it if it wouldn't work. Reason being, this seller has a 100% positive sales rating. Reputable eBay stores value their rating. Just to be sure though, I emailed the seller and asked him that question. I'll post his answer.

Sube

Cadillac Tony
07-31-10, 05:41 PM
The codes are unique to each disc, otherwise people would just download to the HDD and sell the disc, robbing the disc maker of revenue. That's why a code isn't necesary on models where the disc needs to be in the unit to work.

rhyminsymon
01-17-11, 11:03 PM
$200 bucks DANG! guess all you out their have too much money to blow on this stuff when they can charge this....I might pay $20 for it including free shipping...

Ponyman
01-18-11, 09:02 AM
It is kind of expensive. My Garmin was $80, for 4 updates a year, and lifetime. I realize I could have bought a new Gramin for not too much more, but the updates are outdatd when they come out, so I sprang for the lifetime updates. With my luck the Garmin will crater tomorrow.

RAB
01-18-11, 10:33 AM
The codes are unique to each disc, otherwise people would just download to the HDD and sell the disc, robbing the disc maker of revenue. That's why a code isn't necesary on models where the disc needs to be in the unit to work.

Tony, I think I may have to disagree with your statement that "the codes are unique to each disc".
The codes are most likely not unique to each disc, but rather, unique to each VIN.

If the GM Nav Disc 2011 update disc for the 2nd gen SRX is configured anything like the update disc(s) for the 2nd gen CTS, then the alpha-numeric authorization code to allow the update disc to be utilized in a given 2nd gen SRX is established according to the unique "VIN" of the intended recipient vehicle. (This is why GM Nav Disc asks for your VIN when you place an order for an update disc). Assuming this is the way things work for the 2nd gen SRX as well, then all 2011 Nav update discs for the SRX are identical. You only need to have the unique authorization code associated with the VIN of your particular SRX to allow the contents of the disc to be "unlocked".
When an update disc is purchased from GM Nav Disc for a 2nd gen CTS, the unique authorization code for the intended recipient vehicle whose Nav system is to be updated is provided in the documentation that comes with the disc. On inserting the update disc into the Nav Radio's disc slot, an initial software routine on the disc interrogates the VIN of the vehicle... and then the unique authorization code derived from that particular VIN has to be entered.