: I NEED Help/Experience, 2009 CTS V Purchase, Upgrades

carz80am
07-21-10, 07:16 PM
Hey guys, I've been of/on this forum for years. Don't chime in alot, but could really use your guys' help/experience. I have an 04 blue ext(second one), had a 04 xlr, just sold my 04 viper and am now looking at this cts v. I've been looking at used black ones, but with the complaints of paint chipping/keeping it clean, I saw this silver one and fell in love. My problem is the dealer/sales people don't know all the upgrades the last buyer did to it. Called my local caddy service advisor who said this stuff could void parts of my warranty. Would you buy it? Not knowing what has been done to it? I live in NOVA and the car is in NY, so I have to fly out there to buy it. Don't want to waste a day/flight out there.

http://www.mynewbenz.com/Used/2009_CADILLAC_CTS_V__Custom___many_many_extras____ ___/Amityville_NY/LISTING-11765013/VehicleDetails.aspx

I really like the car, but the upgrades scare me. Salesman said the after market gauges on the driver side don't work. Also, said they don't see any badges on the engine compartment, which scares me that the work wasn't done by henessey. Any insight/suggestions?
Thanks Alot In Advance

SleepTight
07-21-10, 07:37 PM
The advertisement claims the car has a Hennesey performance package "including full race headers, midpipes, high flow catalytic converter, race pulleys, full dyno tuning and a custom front mount intercooler." I'm not an expert on the subject and others here are surely better informed, but I'd say you should assume that any attempt to get engine or powertrain work performed on the car under the GM warranty is going to be a struggle.

I'd start by contacting Hennesey:

http://www.hennesseyperformance.com/

They may be able to search their own records based on the VIN. If you can confirm what the car has installed, you at least have a "known unknown."

Good luck.

dqw1
07-21-10, 08:44 PM
I'd pass on it. The pillar gauge mod's will make any service department hesitant to honor warranty repairs. Mod's should be hidden when possible and those gauges make it appear the V has been driven hard, you just never know.

newcadman
07-21-10, 09:16 PM
For what it is worth, I agree with dqw1's advice, I would definitely pass on it.
I think with a little patience and persistence you'll find the right one.
This one to my way of thinking sends up a red flag!

wait4me
07-21-10, 09:37 PM
It seems like a pretty good car. The history is pretty good. You can always buy stock parts to put back on it pretty easy and just sell off things you dont want.

carz80am
07-21-10, 09:45 PM
That's for all the advice, still haven't decided, they got the manager who traded it in, calling me tomorrow. Called henessey today and they said they will not give out any information unless I purchased directly from them and that the warranty on their parts do not transfer to new ownership. Yeah, if I do buy it, those gauges would be the first to go, salesman told me today that they don't even turn on/work. Just for show/looks.

mugatu22
07-21-10, 10:21 PM
Caddy 100% won't warranty anything on that car.

BTW, Hennessey is a bunch of a$$holes. Personal experience, along with hundreds of others in Houston. Stay away.

NiceRide
07-21-10, 10:36 PM
I would NOT touch that one. As a brief introduction, since this is my first post, I just picked up a new 2010 Raven Black V after a not so pleasant experience with an e90 M5. I also own a GT-R, and the first thing I will tell you is that I wouldn't touch a car that's had the engine worked on by Hennessy, PERIOD. I would take a stock V over that car anyday. I am fairly certain that the 100K powertrain warranty on that car...is toast. Is that worth the risk to you? This is not a four-banger that you just drop in another engine after blowing one up. Let's face it, most of us buy these cars b/c of the powerplant. Peace of mind is knowing that GM will stand behind it for 100K miles, unfortunately that likely won't be the case here.

Secondly, IMHO most of the fun in owning a car is planning the mods. I recommend you continue searching....best of luck :thumbsup:

carz80am
07-21-10, 10:52 PM
leaning towards looking elsewhere. Niceride, are you happy with the cts v over the m5? I was looking at used m5's, but decided cts v was the way to go. I want a GTR, they are wicked fast, but wife wants me to get a 4 door.
Henessey wasn't helpful at all today, so I totally understand what you guys are talking about with them. Peace of mind with that warranty definitely is worth waiting for the right cts v.

Again, thanks for all your input
Been using the site for my ext issues and been very helpful
damn service ride control message came on(think i need a new air compressor), compressor works sometimes, and ac clutch went bad today

NiceRide
07-21-10, 11:14 PM
The M5 is a more refined car, drives and feels more "premium" than the V. And, there's just no replacement for a high-revving NA V-10. I can make an equally compelling case for the "no replacement for displacement" argument as well. The recaro seats in the V are a joke, not supportive enough, intrudes into my lumbar, and in general aren't very comfortable. Not worth the $3k, granted I haven't sat in a V w/o the option. The fully adjustable M5 seats are night and day better than the V.

The biggest factor in picking up the V was the available torque at low RPM and across the whole rev range, whereas the M5 is excruciatingly anemic in hp and torque until she hits past 5K rpm.

I can go on for while, but the bottom line is: I'll take the CTS-V over an M5 any day of the week. Now the GT-R, she's just something very special.

chrswk
07-22-10, 03:11 AM
(...) The recaro seats in the V are a joke, not supportive enough, intrudes into my lumbar, and in general aren't very comfortable. Not worth the $3k, granted I haven't sat in a V w/o the option. The fully adjustable M5 seats are night and day better than the V. (...)

I never sat in the M5, but I can't think of anything more I would want to be able to adjust on the Recaros. And although I haven't been to the track yet , I never had any concerns about slipping out of my seat, even with "spirited" driving on mountain roads around here.

Domsz06
07-22-10, 08:38 AM
If you keep looking you can pick up a cts-v for well lower then that. I got mine for a LOT less then that one, and the day after I bought it the dealer here in Houston called and offered me the black one I was eyeing down here for just 500 more then what I paid for my silver one.

That silver car has been on he market for a while. I remember seeing it when I was looking months ago.

Contact MB of Sugarland, suburb of Houston, see if they still have the black cts-v. If they do I'll tell you the price they offered it to me if you want.

Domsz06
07-22-10, 08:44 AM
you know it looks like it has a CAI (won't void warranty, and a decorative charger cover) If you get it and don't want it I'd buy the CAI off you lol then your back to stock.

those gauges were installed by a individual. No shop would so such a crappy job. That's awful.

You could sell those wheels for probably 2-3k (depending on the brand) and go back to stock and have money in the bank. Car isn't worh 55k IMO based on today's prices.

Esp not worth those prices without the Recaro seats.

I just read the write up, sorry bout that. You normally can see the front mount intercooler in the lower grill... can't really tell from the angle. You can see all of those mods pretty much if you had good pics...

Good luck.

Umrswimr
07-22-10, 09:25 AM
Walk.

cbloveday
07-22-10, 09:36 AM
Don't walk, Run

carz80am
07-22-10, 06:45 PM
YOU GUYS WILL LOVE THIS!
Called dealer and got owners last name and found a back channel to henessey, found out the last owner ordered a henessey intake and sticker, and that's it! Dealer assumed it had all those upgrades because they called a local henessey dealer who told them if it had a henessey package, it had all that stuff, salesman/used car manager thought they were getting a steal, didn't even verify it. All this leg work and dealer tells me, he'll give it to me for 49k out the door?
your thoughts?

Definitely Pays TO DO Your Research

V&Vette
07-22-10, 08:36 PM
Make sure they aren't telling you that just to make you feel better about modifications. Some dealers/associates will do anything to get the business.

Imagine telling someone the car isn't modded and finding out its pushing 600rwph. Wow.

I'd still pass.

newcadman
07-22-10, 08:39 PM
There is no question this non Caddy dealer is dying to move this car.
It is my impression from reading your posts and replies that you are still leaning towards buying this car especially with this out the door price !
This certainly understandable.
However, under the circumstances and given the fact that I don't believe you are going to rest easy until this thing is put to rest, I urge you to do even more research on this car. Leave no stone unturned and gather as much information as you possibly can and then take all the info to only a CADILLAC dealer and get them to verify in writing that there are absolutely no issues that will affect the factory warranty on this vehicle. Even consider having the selling dealer take the car to a cadillac dealer of your choice, not theirs, to go over the car completely.
If the selling dealer has nothing to hide they shouldn't mind.
And finally, if it is possible drive another v, and then drive this one as a comparison.
I hope this helps rather than confuses the matter. After all, you did ask for forum members thoughts.
Good luck and let the forum know the end result. I'm sure there are quite a few interested forum members watching this one.

carz80am
07-22-10, 09:18 PM
I will definitely let you guys know. There was actually an outsider that told me this car didn't have the upgrades (he found out by using the last name of previous owner and contacting henessey directly) and when I told the used car manager he sounded amazed and when I asked him why he advertised it with those mods, he said he "thought" it had a henessey package because of the sticker on the engine cover and intake.They thought they were getting a steal at the time. I may sound stupid to even consider it, but its a sharp looking v. The problem with getting it checked out by a caddy dealer is I live in NOVA and the car is NY, so I would have to fly in and drive it back and don't want to turn it into a long trip.

V&Vette
07-22-10, 09:30 PM
I actually almost bought my ML 450h at that dealer come to think of it. They wasted my time and then tried to recast the deal which didn't work. I ended up traveling to NJ to pick up the Benz.

I might be able to stop there this weekend and check the car out for you. Will let you know..

carz80am
07-22-10, 10:44 PM
if you could do that, it would be great, you own a cts v, so I'm sure you could tell if something wasn't right...I'd really appreciate it if it's not too much trouble

sybersport
07-23-10, 12:26 AM
I will definitely let you guys know. There was actually an outsider that told me this car didn't have the upgrades (he found out by using the last name of previous owner and contacting henessey directly) and when I told the used car manager he sounded amazed and when I asked him why he advertised it with those mods, he said he "thought" it had a henessey package because of the sticker on the engine cover and intake.They thought they were getting a steal at the time. I may sound stupid to even consider it, but its a sharp looking v. The problem with getting it checked out by a caddy dealer is I live in NOVA and the car is NY, so I would have to fly in and drive it back and don't want to turn it into a long trip.

Why not find a local Caddy dealership in NY and book an appointment for the car; ask the dealer to take it in for you. I'm sure some folks on the board can suggest a good dealer in the area.

NiceRide
07-23-10, 01:51 AM
The dealer will tell you ANYTHING to hook you. At this point I would run the other direction and not look back. If the dealer was stupendous so much as to advertise "over 90K invested" just to recant that later and drop the asking price by a mere $5K, what does that tell you?? Well, it tells me that all they care about is selling the car. Seriously, you'll never find out exactly how the car was modded. Why even take the risk?

New V's can be had for a mere $10K more @ 0% financing over 6yrs. Now that's a good deal!

NiceRide
07-23-10, 02:18 AM
Seriously, you need to run the other way and don't look back. This incompetent dealer claims $90K invested, then backtracks and says oops, we thought wrong, but we'll drop the price by $5K??? What is wrong with this picture?? You will never ever know exactly how it was modded.

A new V can be had for a mere $10K more with 0% financing over 72 months!!!! Now that's a sure deal.

MReiland
07-23-10, 06:29 AM
See if the Benz dealer will take it to the local Cad dealer and have the ECU scanned to see what is really in there before you buy it. If the Cad dealer says everything is bone stock than at least you will know for sure before you buy it. A salesman will tell you almost anything to sell it.

Domsz06
07-23-10, 03:11 PM
if a caddy dealer would verify it still is covered under warranty, for 49 k I'd buy it. That's a better deal then I got for about the same car... well guess you don't have recaro.... but the CAI shouldn't void the warranty.

carz80am
07-23-10, 06:29 PM
Sick of thinking about it, heading to NYC in the morning, and found another silver with 6k miles and recaros, that I think I can get for 50 and isn't far from the dealership I have to go to
http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=46070418&listingRecNum=7&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D20787%26mkId%3D2 0052%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20787%26rd%3D250%26crSr tFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D22310%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20052%26rpp%3D50%26fe edSegId%3D28705&aff=national (http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.jsp?tracktype=usedcc&csDlId=&csDgId=&listingId=46070418&listingRecNum=7&criteria=sf1Dir%3DDESC%26alMdId%3D20787%26mkId%3D2 0052%26stkTyp%3DU%26mdId%3D20787%26rd%3D250%26crSr tFlds%3DstkTypId-feedSegId-mkId-mdId%26zc%3D22310%26rn%3D0%26PMmt%3D1-1-0%26stkTypId%3D28881%26sf2Dir%3DASC%26sf1Nm%3Dpric e%26sf2Nm%3Dmiles%26alMkId%3D20052%26rpp%3D50%26fe edSegId%3D28705&aff=national)

One way or another, I'm coming home with a V tomorrow

lawnstripes
07-23-10, 09:06 PM
thats the right attitude!!!!! lol

V&Vette
07-23-10, 10:05 PM
Hey, I stopped by the dealer tonight (off sunrise) and it wasn't on the lot. I went in and was told that it was in the service shop at the moment. I asked if it was a henessey due to seeing the ad and I was told, "we're checking into that currently". :helpless:

Stay away, they were really weird about the whole situation, something is up.

Razorecko
07-23-10, 10:26 PM
...i say the previous owner ran multiple shots of nos through the motor...than bought $100 worth of stickers to make the vehicle look "credibly' modded and than proceeded to dump it before it blew a hole in the block.

Moparman4444
07-24-10, 03:22 AM
New air cleaner
center section 3" exhaust w/ stock mufflers
upper and lower 9.5" pulley change
retune of computer from wait4me performance and
you get 11.2 at 124mph on stock tires. Hows that?

carz80am
07-24-10, 07:07 AM
V&Vette, thanks for stopping by. I appreciate it. I'm headind up there today, cause I actually talked to the previous owner yesterday who assured me he put in the cai, exhaust, wheels, and cosmetic upgrades. He said he did nothing to the motor because he didn't want to void the warranty. He said he mounted the guages, but never wired them up. Unless the dealership went to the trouble of having another person lie to me, which I know is possible, I want to see it in person and want to check the one out in freehold, nj as well. I appreciate all the help and insight, will let you all know what happens...

NiceRide
07-24-10, 06:05 PM
Carz, seeing that V in person isn't going to clear up your concerns about it's mod history, but it could sway you into buying a vehicle you might regret later. Just be resigned to the fact you'll never know for sure how molested it was. Good luck to you, and remember if you're happy about your purchase, who cares about what anybody else says....eerrrr except for the wifey...

V&Vette
07-25-10, 08:36 PM
Good Luck with everything, hope it works out for you!

carz80am
07-26-10, 05:40 PM
Alright guys, don't ruin the high for me too much, I did my due diligence and decided on buying it. I checked two out on sat and have been checking out others for weeks and this one just spoke to me. The other one I checked out on sat did have recaro's so I was leaning towards it, but the amount of money this guys must of spent on this car makes up for the seats. I also liked the lighter interior. I took it to the local caddy dealership, which told me there is an aftermarket cai and exhaust and does not void the warranty. It does void those components though, which I'm ok with. After driving home from NYC(4 hours), I realized alot about this car, one of which is, THIS CAR IS A BEAST IN EVERY WAY. The way it looks, the way it drives, everything. I've had probably 20+ cars in my lifetime, my most recent toys were a 04 viper and before that an 04 xlr and this car is a beast. I have no complaints. I came home in the middle of the day to pick it up just cause I wanted to drive it some more, even though I love my escalade. I know it would have been safer in buying a 2010 new, but I go through cars very quickly, so I wanted to buy used so I don't take a big hit if I sold/trade it in 6 months later. I don't see that happening because I don't know anything else I would want, except maybe a GTR, but wifey wants a 4 door.
Thanks for all your help/insight

V&Vette
07-26-10, 05:47 PM
Congratulations on the purchase!!!:thumbsup:

lawnstripes
07-26-10, 06:07 PM
so get us some new pics then!!!!!!!!!!!

elphil
07-26-10, 07:12 PM
What a great thread! It had drama, suspense, excitement and a happy ending.

NiceRide
07-26-10, 11:18 PM
Congrats! Enjoy in good health!

Domsz06
07-27-10, 12:11 PM
lol on the thread, but congrats you got it. You will love it, I know I love mine. I too tend to change cars every year, but I really think I'll be keeping this one.... ;)

carz80am
07-27-10, 04:18 PM
So far I'm loving it, only complaint so far, especially since I drove it back from(NYC) is the gas tank, but then again I'm use to the huge escalade gas tank...For all of you who saw the tachometer/guages that were on, I took them off last night and I think it looks alot cleaner/better, especially once I have a few tiny holes patched up. I will post some pics of the new ride soon

newcadman
07-27-10, 05:18 PM
Congratulations. I'm glad to hear you took it to the Cadillac dealer and let them see it. Good job, now enjoy.

carz80am
08-27-10, 05:14 PM
Never posted any pics...so here you go....I love it so far and it sounds the way it looks!

I didn't know hot to make the pics bigger.

carz80am
08-27-10, 05:17 PM
Never posted any pics...so here you go....I love it so far