: Value of car

LLCoolJson
07-21-10, 11:03 AM
Just wanted to know what the value of my car is. I have an 05 sts 4 loaded with acc it has 58000 miles. I checked kbb and other sites, but they seem high and the dealer always seems much lower for trade in. Any real world info would be nice, Thanks

C&C
07-21-10, 11:10 AM
KBB gives you trade-in, private party sale and retail prices; you should be able to get a real good idea of worth. We can't know all of your options, so any one here, just can't give you a reliable price. Edmunds.com is also a good source for pricing new/used vehicles.

LAC_STS
07-21-10, 12:04 PM
I personally never use KBB. They are always way off. I use NADA for cars and BUC for boats.

You cant compare what NADA or KBB for that matter say the value is vs what a dealer says the value is.

The dealers offer is ALWAYS gonna be less. Most of the time WAYYYY less.

Try to sell your car yourself. You will get more money and you might even get a better deal financing if you come in there with more money down. Cash.

Greg00coupe
07-21-10, 12:26 PM
Dealers today are using the sales prices cars go for at auction. They is a pricing service out there like KBB but I can't remember the name right now. The idea is if a car sells last week at auction for $5K and KBB says it's worth $7K as trade why would they give more then $5K if they could pay that at auction? Also they know if they need to dumb a car at auction they can at the average auction price.

Another factor is if you trade what you pay for the new car. If there is a huge markup and you are willing or naive enough to pay that they will give you more for your trade.

I've also found for luxury cars they are hard to sell on your own. Folks looking for a private deal generally don't have a lot of money and folks looking for a Cadillac want the comfort of a dealer purchase..... warranty, inspections and the like which you can't provide.

Good luck

KRSTS
07-21-10, 02:07 PM
Six year old car with that many miles, my guess would be around $17K

chagrin falls
07-21-10, 05:16 PM
Food for thought--Just traded a 2006 STS northstar-1SG-rwd--16,450 miles-absolutely perfect car-corsa exhaust-e & g mesh-hud-adaptive cruise. Traded on a 2010 CTS premium-msrp-$51,910. Dealer gave me $20,000. for the STS and it is now on their lot for $23,950. On the CTS, $6,000. off sticker, additional $1,500. off for gm/cadillac loyalty and 0% financing. All american luxury cars take a beating and the STS is no exception. Cadillac has never promoted/advertised the STS which is unfortunate and sure doesn't help current owner value. But I would never not have a non gm product in my garage. The CTS is absolutely unbelievabe and I thought it best to trade the STS before it was worth even less next year.

EChas3
07-21-10, 07:50 PM
Just wanted to know what the value of my car is. I have an 05 sts 4 loaded with acc it has 58000 miles. I checked kbb and other sites, but they seem high and the dealer always seems much lower for trade in. Any real world info would be nice, Thanks

There's a big hit with over 50,000 miles. The year works against you but if it's a 1SC or 1SG (top trim level V6 or V8 resp.) or extended warranty, you gain some back. I'd guess low to mid teens. Maybe better if its very clean.

Saila22
07-21-10, 10:22 PM
Food for thought--Just traded a 2006 STS northstar-1SG-rwd--16,450 miles-absolutely perfect car-corsa exhaust-e & g mesh-hud-adaptive cruise. Traded on a 2010 CTS premium-msrp-$51,910. Dealer gave me $20,000. for the STS and it is now on their lot for $23,950. On the CTS, $6,000. off sticker, additional $1,500. off for gm/cadillac loyalty and 0% financing. All american luxury cars take a beating and the STS is no exception. Cadillac has never promoted/advertised the STS which is unfortunate and sure doesn't help current owner value. But I would never not have a non gm product in my garage. The CTS is absolutely unbelievabe and I thought it best to trade the STS before it was worth even less next year.

Where is that dealer located?

chagrin falls
07-21-10, 11:47 PM
Central Cadillac-Cleveland, Ohio---if you need a good contact, let me know.

caddyfat2
07-22-10, 07:51 AM
KBB prices are a bit high so when I need a quick reference I take their prices and then knock off 20% and then the prices are about right for MY MARKET CONDITIONS.:2thumbs:

Midnight
07-22-10, 09:54 AM
> But I would never not have a non gm product in my garage.

<grin> I think you have one too many negatives there ;)

I get a good feel for pricing of cars through looking them up on Carmax. Obviously, that's what they're hoping to sell them for, not buy them from you. And any trade in price a dealer gives you has to be looked at as part of the full picture. But it's a good ballpark figure. You just want to avoid letting it go for 12, and seeing it for sale for 25. Many places will do that if they can get away with it.

LLCoolJson
07-22-10, 04:12 PM
Thanks for all the answers. Just was trying to get a ballpark figure. Still has a warranty until april... Since it is a loaded sts4 with the n* all options except block heater... I hope to get decent trade in value... Need an suv, kinda tight with the family. Thanks again

chagrin falls
07-22-10, 04:19 PM
Thanks Midnight! And I'm a positive guy!! To simplify-I will ALWAYS have a GM product in my garage! I almost forgot-when I traded the STS for the CTS I cancelled my extended warranty and just received a check for $980.00...

tlac
07-22-10, 08:11 PM
Make sure you get at least KBB "good" trade-in value. That is if you take good care of your car and it has good tires/brakes. If your ride is in taken care of, there is no reason you can't get anywhere between "good" and "excellent" trade-in value, or else you should walk. If your lucky, you'll find a small dealership that'll offer NADA value, which is always higher. You should do a search of cars for sale simliar to yours and note the average value and subtract $2,500, which is what they'll want for profit. Caddilacs always sell for significantly less than KBB retail price.

turnne
07-24-10, 10:50 AM
Six year old car with that many miles, my guess would be around $17K

My thought is 14-15K tops for that one

I paid $18,750 for a 05 1SG AWD( w HUD and ACC) a year ago with less miles than that...and frankly I don't think I received any great buy

Warren

z06bigbird
07-24-10, 01:15 PM
Ways to approach value of a vehicle.

1. As one stated above, look at auction prices. If your vehicle has documented service/maint/repairs, add some (top of the head) $4.

Or think like a person who runs a used car department of a dealership.

You will need to cover the following expenses of vehicle:
1. running the car through a shop for (shop's)inspection and repairs.
2. All customers will negotiate down from your asking price.
3. sales commission for sales person.
4. sales commission for sales manager.
5. repairs to be done either just before or just after customer makes purchase.
6. Cost of car at auction.
7. Cost of fees paid to auction.
Profit for business.
7. Other???

How many $$ would you add to the

turnne
07-25-10, 10:16 AM
Ways to approach value of a vehicle.

1. As one stated above, look at auction prices. If your vehicle has documented service/maint/repairs, add some (top of the head) $4.

Or think like a person who runs a used car department of a dealership.

You will need to cover the following expenses of vehicle:
1. running the car through a shop for (shop's)inspection and repairs.
2. All customers will negotiate down from your asking price.
3. sales commission for sales person.
4. sales commission for sales manager.
5. repairs to be done either just before or just after customer makes purchase.
6. Cost of car at auction.
7. Cost of fees paid to auction.
Profit for business.
7. Other???

How many $$ would you add to the

An allowance for numbers 5 and 7 is likely taken into consideration when the car is at auction
Seems to me..after 50K..ie..no warranty left..the value of these cars really drops as if there is an expectation that something will be wrong with it and it will be expensive to repair

So if you find one that has over 50K and there is nothing wrong with it you are likely ahead of the curse since it seems to be factored into the prevailing market value

I also notice...at my local Caddy dealer.....95% of their cars on the used car lot are still in factory warranty and are certified
There has to be a large number of cars going through the auction process that are out of factory warranty that the dealers pass on...I assume those end up on the independent lots

Warren