: Navigation for V2's...

Domsz06
07-21-10, 09:15 AM
So, Picked up my V2 2 weeks ago and it had everything I wanted except the navigation. Anyone put a stock one into a car that didn't have it from the factory? Think it's probably not an option unless I can find a wrecked v. Just curious if anyone has done this.

Thanksl.

wait4me
07-21-10, 09:22 AM
It can be done, but you have to flash a few modules with the right vin numbers, and then do an antitheft relearn on the car with a tech 2 then it fires right up.

Domsz06
07-21-10, 10:37 AM
It can be done, but you have to flash a few modules with the right vin numbers, and then do an antitheft relearn on the car with a tech 2 then it fires right up.
Thanks wait4me. Guess I'll keep looking for wrecked v's... maybe I'll get lucky lol.

Stumeat
07-21-10, 12:10 PM
Are you sure it has to come out of a V? Is there a difference from the non V's?

Domsz06
07-21-10, 01:19 PM
Are you sure it has to come out of a V? Is there a difference from the non V's?
that's a really good question...
but even then I have no idea where to find em. I have been lookin at eBay, but nothing yet...

wait4me
07-21-10, 01:39 PM
I have one here that i used for development work and dissasembly, It is the screen, the buttons, and the silverbox. It would be programmed to your vin number and "Should" fire right up and be ready to go if you want it, i think i have 2k in everything, id let it go for 1,200.

ewill3rd
07-22-10, 07:57 AM
You can get a V without navigation?

commander112
07-22-10, 08:05 AM
You can get a V without navigation?

2009 navigation was an option. Standard on 2010+ (with a price increase to match the option price).

chrswk
07-22-10, 08:40 AM
On the topic of the V's navigation system: Since I imported my V from the US and it doesn't come with any European maps, is there a GM Nav Disc specifically for the European market? If so, does anyone know the the part number and can I order it through gmnavdisc.com?

Domsz06
07-22-10, 09:28 AM
I have one here that i used for development work and dissasembly, It is the screen, the buttons, and the silverbox. It would be programmed to your vin number and "Should" fire right up and be ready to go if you want it, i think i have 2k in everything, id let it go for 1,200.
so it would just be a plug and play and work, wouldn't need anything else? If so I'm interested.

Domsz06
07-22-10, 09:29 AM
2009 navigation was an option. Standard on 2010+ (with a price increase to match the option price).
yup that's correct. I bought mine used, and have been looking for several months, the Recaro seats were more important as well as the exterior color then nav. I found the car with color and seats, no nav and the price was lower then I wanted to pay so I jumped on it;)

neuronbob
07-22-10, 11:39 AM
Why not just use a TomTom or Garmin rather than tearing up your interior and making interior squeaks and rattles more likely? Just being the devil's advocate here...

The issue has been brought up before and no one on the board has done this successfully to my knowledge. If you become the first, do a step by step thread with pics for us so we can learn too. :)

Domsz06
07-22-10, 12:09 PM
Why not just use a TomTom or Garmin rather than tearing up your interior and making interior squeaks and rattles more likely? Just being the devil's advocate here...

The issue has been brought up before and no one on the board has done this successfully to my knowledge. If you become the first, do a step by step thread with pics for us so we can learn too. :)
i don't like stuff to my glass, I have an iPhone I can use for nav, I just like GM's traffic detours like mom's escalade has. It's nice, as well as the ability to see the songs and what not on the iPod.

As far as more rattles and squeaks why would it do that? it's just moving from one to another.

I guess I'd have to see all the parts, but wouldn't see why it couldn't' be done....

I'll keep looking, and if I do it, I'll let you know. The big kicker now is the 1200 bucks to do it... I could use that for other fun toys on my car lol ;)

07-22-10, 12:43 PM
As far as more rattles and squeaks why would it do that? it's just moving from one to another.

I guess I'd have to see all the parts, but wouldn't see why it couldn't' be done....
;)

of course anything can be done...but I think that you might be underestimating the magnitude of the project...even if you can get a dash and NAV out of a wrecked V.

Domsz06
07-22-10, 04:38 PM
of course anything can be done...but I think that you might be underestimating the magnitude of the project...even if you can get a dash and NAV out of a wrecked V.
yeah that's why I"m on here trying to find out :)

I figure if I can put a small block 350 and a T-56 into a 82 280zx or wire a 6000 watt system into a boat I can manage this. But that's why I"m on here so I can learn and see if I'm biting of more then I can chew.... I dont' think I would need the dash.... my non nav already has the cut out for the screen to cover, I took it off and the screen that is in there now the brackets go on down further, and there is room underneath....

I'd be willing to bet that all the brackets and stuff and holes are already there, just need the screen and the drive unit and then the "brain" but that's just me thinking.... I really have no idea, and until I can see what it looks like I really don't know.

GM typically doesn't change much in the weigh of harnesses and what not in the cars as that's cost prohibitive... so was just wondering if it's all ther except the brain and what not...

ewill3rd
07-22-10, 10:42 PM
Installing the mechanical components would be effortless.
Getting it to work might be another issue altogether.

There are some differnces in the wiring I know.
I think the center stacks are the same but these radios are software programmed and you'd be kind of hard pressed to get the options right for programming.
I wouldn't say no at this point, but I would lean towards there ultimately being an issue that might be almost insurmountable.
Hard to say.

At least this makes more sense than the guy who wanted to put a V2 nav system in a V1 that didn't have nav.

GMX322V S/C
07-22-10, 10:44 PM
On the topic of the V's navigation system: Since I imported my V from the US and it doesn't come with any European maps, is there a GM Nav Disc specifically for the European market? If so, does anyone know the the part number and can I order it through gmnavdisc.com?Hmm, might want to contact one of the importers over there (UK? Germany? UAE?). The GM Nav Disc site shows Japan and China--but not Europe!