: Seats make noise

Roll on Mr. Spaceman
07-21-10, 07:47 AM
Do any of your seats make a lot of noise when you move around on them?
I read about a fix for squeaks but I'm not quite sure I understand if it's the same noises I am talking about.
It doesn't seem like it's in the foundation of the seat but more in the leather and foam.
Sorry for the vagueness in my description.

Thanks

bubba-v
07-21-10, 10:48 AM
Sounds like a loose hamster. No I would guess the electronic housing on the side and the attached panel that wraps around the front of the seat could be a source for squeaks...if theres enough play that the leather and plastic rub. I would poke around there first and check that everything is nice and secure.

Roll on Mr. Spaceman
07-21-10, 12:11 PM
Bubba-v I wouldn't no how to check the "leather and plastic rub" although using those terms sounds like the type of noise I'm talking about.

CIWS
07-21-10, 05:18 PM
Driver's seat squeak, there's a TSB on it. Dealership should fix per that TSB.

Edit - here it is.

SEAT TSB

Document ID# 2055909

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject:
Driver Seat Creaks - keywords front left metal outboard rear seat squeak track washer #PIC4754 - (01/30/2008)

Models:
2005-2008 Cadillac STS and STS-V built before 11/19/2007

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s) described in this PI.

Condition/Concern:

A customer may comment that the driver's seat creaks when turning corners or moving laterally in the seat. The creak may be defined as a metal to metal noise. The condition may be noticed more by larger occupants with the seat in the full rearward position. This condition may be caused by contact of rear outboard driver seat track hold down washer (1) to body sheet metal in the rocker area (2). This area is hidden from view. The washer may rotate clockwise when the seat bolt is tightened until it contacts the rocker sheet metal. This condition only occurs on the driver's side as the washer on the passenger's side rotates away from rocker. The washer has to wear through the paint before the creak begins.

Recommendation/Instructions:

To correct this condition, loosen the driver seat outboard attachment and hold the washer (1) from rotating as the bolt is retightened. Refer to fastener tightening specifications for proper torque spec.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not need to be performed.

Roll on Mr. Spaceman
07-21-10, 07:40 PM
"Driver Seat Creaks - keywords front left metal outboard rear seat squeak "

"A customer may comment that the driver's seat creaks when turning corners or moving laterally in the seat. The creak may be defined as a metal to metal noise."

Thanks Matt.
It says rear seat squeak. Does that actually refer to the rear seat?
My seat noise is in the front driver's seat in particular; not as loud in the passenger seat.
I would also not classify it as a metal to metal sound but as a leather related sound. (actually it's pretty annoying!)

Appreciate your help!

CIWS
07-22-10, 09:02 AM
That TSB addresses the driver's seat squeaking. They did it to mine and it solved the issue.

bubba-v
07-22-10, 09:35 AM
Good advice on that TSB, but if that does not correct it than you should be able to duplicate the sound by pushing on the seat with your hands and you will hear or see where the leather is getting behind the plastic and rubbing. There are clips attached to the panel that hold it in place, if the clips are worn or not completely seated than the leather will start rubbing around and making the noises you are describing. You might even be able to get a cloth and work some leather conditioner in there and see if the sound starts to decrease.

Roll on Mr. Spaceman
07-22-10, 01:46 PM
Great stuff guys.

Thank you!

rodehard
07-23-10, 05:04 PM
I too have heard a noise coming from the passenger seat area that is not caused by rubbing. It is hard to describe but I have accused my wife of a flatulence problem which she does not appreciate. It must be some kind of relay or valve actuating but it really sounds kind of weird and is mildly annoying.

Any ideas?