: 1974 Compressor isues

74cherrydeville
07-21-10, 12:08 AM
Hi, guys im new to the forum- wuts up? I have a 74 coupe deville, i recently rebuilt the top half of the engine, and removed the compresor. i put it back and now the clutch doesn't click....when i removed it i hosed it down. im wondering if the water fried it? Im also not sure of the wires to hook back up even though there is only abotu 4 wires to hook up, one is a harness, 2 go to the compressor prongs, and one goes 2 what i believe is the ground...any assistancde would help beforei go buy a new compressor....

deVille33
07-21-10, 08:55 AM
When you moved your compressor, you may have lost your charge, if one of the line connectors leaked. You may get a more knowlegable reponse over on the RWD postings.

Brother_B
07-22-10, 02:59 AM
Did you try to just connect a jumper wire from +battery to the compressor? That usually works for me. On my '72, there is thermal fuse (about $2.00) that blows when the charge is low. It is mounted on passenger side near firewall, I think its on the evaporator case. And here is a picture of it
http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_Thermal-Limiter-Switch-BWD_18971935-P_445_R|GRPACPTAMS_562146391___
To see if it is blown, disconnect the harness and short a jumper wire between terminals B and C on the harness. If the compressor kicks in, then the fuse is blown.