: 'Chroming' the SRX grille?

bobarry
07-20-10, 11:23 PM
Has anyone removed the '10 SRX grille? If its fairly easy I may get a quote to have it chromed. I had my Saturn Sky grille done for $150 and love its looks.

I grew up in the age of chrome and having a nice car with a plain PLASTIC grille bugs me. :)

Bo

TheCaptain
07-21-10, 12:35 AM
It's ok, plastic is crappy. Metal / chrome is where its at. :)
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3380/4616598729_274919e7fe.jpg

bobarry
07-21-10, 12:44 PM
Yikes! Don't tell me that's stock on the Premium but not on the Performance models???

If not where did you get them?

Going to GM parts to see if they are there. I haven't seen any 'upgrades' on eBay.

Nice color!

Bo

bobarry
07-21-10, 01:21 PM
Is that a 'billet' grille?
The original grilles are $600 (plastic from GM), and chromed steel billets are about the same price.
I kind of want to avoid the billet stuff and retain the Cadillac look.
However if the black plastic parts of the grill don't separate from the rest of it, the 'chroming' process can't be done.

Bo

TheCaptain
07-21-10, 01:45 PM
lol nope, no package deal; it's an aftermarket upgrade, brought to you by the fine makers at E@G Grilles. I purchased mine through their CariD ebay store for (a pinch cheaper) then the price in their store online. The dealer put it in for me, so i can't help with install, but the instructions did say it could be installed without removing the front fascia. That being said, i took a look at it, and i think it would be super easy to install having removed the front fascia.

Anyways, the stock grill does not seem to be able to separate the factory chrome from the black plastic, or at least without possible damage to either parts.

And while this is not a "billet" grille, it is a Heavy Chrome Mesh grill. CariD has a few styles to suit many a need.

And thanks for the compliments on the colour! :2thumbs:

This post has some more info on the grill if you get it. SRX Mods! (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-srx-second-generation-forum-2010/194669-srxmods-very-pic-heavy.html)

bobarry
07-22-10, 10:42 AM
Thanks lots for the info and the link. Y'all are really busy modding the SRX! The grille (wide mesh) looks fantastic.

I think I'll go down to Walmart and get a spray can of chrome paint and 'fix it up'. :) Reminds me of my 'mods' on my '48 Chevy when I was poor.

Open your south door and let some cool air out down our way. Too hot to wash or wax my 'babies', no end in sight.

Thanks again

Bo