: Recommended Serpentine Belt?

Warmarshall2nd
07-20-10, 09:23 PM
My belt has been slipping between 1st and 2nd gear shift at high RPM, so I'm planning to replace the drive belt in the next day or so. Just wondering, what is the preferred brand/make of drive belts, or is a belt a belt?

Thanks...

tateos
07-20-10, 09:35 PM
That chirp you hear is normal, but I always was a fan of Gates

Ranger
07-20-10, 10:25 PM
Is the tensioner providing enough tension?

Warmarshall2nd
07-20-10, 10:48 PM

To be honest, I wouldn't know... How does one check to see if everything is 'set' properly. I haven't touched the belt since I bought it, and for all I know, it's the original belt on the thing...

Ranger
07-20-10, 10:54 PM
Put the drive lug from a 1/2" drive breaker bar in the square hole in the tensioner and use it as a lever. Release enough tension to slide the belt off the tensioner pulley and then release tension. Does it move freely? Does it move well beyond the position it was with the belt on it? If so, it's OK.

tateos
07-21-10, 12:32 AM
Any N* I have driven does that chirp when shifting 1-2, especially if the selector is in 2 (not D), because that causes a quicker shift, but there's no harm in changing the belt if you so desire.

The EPDM belts nowadays last nearly forever, but here's some interesting info from Gates:

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/beltwear

http://www.gatesprograms.com/beltwear/techTips

Necrosan
07-21-10, 10:36 AM
Any poly-cog belt will get rid of that "chirp."
I personally use a Goodyear Gatorback belt in my car.
No noise from the pulleys at all, ever.

Ranger
07-21-10, 12:54 PM
I've never heard a belt chirp form any of my Northstars when doing a WOT run. Then again, maybe I just can't hear it over that wonderful roar of the engine.

tateos
07-21-10, 04:03 PM
I am not disagreeing with anyone, but all I can say is I know for sure my '97 ETC has done that since day one, with no ill effects - I am on my second belt, at 160K. I changed out the original belt maybe around 6 years ago, just for shits and giggles - never had any ill effects of slippage or other problem. The new belt made that same chirp when shifting 1-2 - exactly the same sound and duration and intensity. It is just exactly and only that - a brief "chirp!" - not prolonged squealing or slippage.

Warmarshall2nd
07-21-10, 10:39 PM
Also will chirp if cruising around 50-55, step on it, then let up completely immediately after it shifts.

Ranger
07-21-10, 11:05 PM
Now THAT it should not do. Definitely check the tensioner.

Warmarshall2nd
07-22-10, 02:11 AM
Good to know... Didn't think it should. I was asking about this awhile back calling it a sound that sounds like pressure is being released. Felt kinda stupid after my friend said it sounds like my belt was slipping...

Thanks, Ranger.

tateos
07-22-10, 01:11 PM
Now THAT it should not do. Definitely check the tensioner.

Yeah - never heard of that.

Warmarshall2nd
07-22-10, 09:37 PM
Actually tried to replicate that instance of chirping today. Got it to do it once, but it was very faint, and after that it wouldn't happen. I won't be able to check the tensioner until after vacation, sadly...