: Anyone know how to check an ac compressor

miwise
07-20-10, 07:29 PM
My compressor was very hard to turn. I took it next door to the guy who normally works on my mustang and he added some oil and flush to it. He was able to free it up. It spins freely now. Should it be making any suction at all when I spin it? Is there an easy way to test it before I install it?

zonie77
07-20-10, 11:26 PM
I'm not an expert at this but I don't think you are going to feel any suction at the speed you can spin it by hand.

miwise
07-20-10, 11:32 PM
I didn't think so. The guy who helped me didn't know if it was good. He spun it by hand and noted the lack of suction. Lol. I think u are right tho. I will just install it and charge the system up. See if she works. Lol

stngh8r
07-21-10, 12:27 PM
Man, if you went to the trouble of pulling that blessed compressor out, I would certainly put a new one back in its place. OH yea, don't forget a new condensor along with all the normal stuff (OT, dryer and fluids).

miwise
07-21-10, 01:54 PM
Well. I studded the engine and redid head gaskets and all don't want to go thru the extra expense of ac work too if not needed

32vmonte
07-21-10, 03:26 PM
If you need a new compressor I have a brand new acdelco unit. It has been mounted but never used. It's never seen refrigerant I just deleted the system instead haha.

But yeah lmk shoot me a price if you happen to need im trying to get rid of it. They are something like 350 new for an acdelco. My email is ionshooter05@yahoo.com

miwise
07-21-10, 07:49 PM
I'm gonna ut my original one back for now. I flushed it good. I'll flush the car too. It worked before.

mhamilton
07-22-10, 09:57 AM
This is how you flush and test a compressor: http://www.autoacforum.com/messageview.cfm?catid=20&threadid=12050

I would be *very* wary of using a compressor that had a chemical flushing agent in it. Any that was left inside will thin your new oil and damage the new compressor.

miwise
07-22-10, 08:54 PM
Very good article. The ac worked before. Same compressor. I flushed with a can of ac flush. I then flushed it all out with r134 oil. Very easy to move Now. Worst case. I have to get new compressor

stoveguyy
07-22-10, 10:13 PM
i took off my failed unit and put on a used one. the used one did make a slight pumping sound when i spun it by hand. old one did not. new one worked fine. till i found out it had a leak. either shaft seal or case seal. would loose charge after 1 week. never had leak before with old one.

miwise
07-22-10, 10:56 PM
I believe it's not good to let your a/c compressor sit up for long periods without use. I'd say at least. I'm flushing my a/c system then gonna do as the instructions say and vacuum it down for thirty minutes