: Worst luck ever?

drewsdeville
07-20-10, 05:02 PM
Worst luck between the two cars?

Last year one of the rear brake lines leaked on the '90 Eldo, so I replaced that one. Usually when one line leaks I like to replace them all at once, as they are all the same age and the rest are probably close in condition to the one that failed.

Well, I didn't. So now I'm paying for it. I blew another brake line this morning. Fine. I got ready to take care of the job, took some measurements to get the right length of line with the right flare.

When I was all ready, I hopped in my '95 that had been sitting for a few months now. Fired up like it just ran yesterday. Cool. Drive through the neighborhood making my way to the highway. Step on the brake pedal to stop at the intersection aaannnddd "POP". Brake pedal goes to the floor. In a panic as I'm rolling closer to the interesection I pump up the pedal and "POP" AGAIN!. Brake pedal is gone now. Stomp on the parking brake and jerk the wheel, making a right turn into the highways emergency lane and come to a stop without hitting anything thankfully.

Both brake lines going to the rear pretty much exploded. Reservoir was already empty.

What are the odds? Daily driver has brake line issues and the backup has brake line issues at the same time? :annoyed: When you have 2 180,000 mile Wisconsin cars, very GOOD odds apparently...

Maybe it's time to upgrade to something newer? Graduation is coming soon...

Jesda
07-20-10, 10:21 PM
Hopefully that's it for a while. It seems like with older cars, several things break one after another for a few months until it settles down again (several hundred dollars later).

OffThaHorseCEO
07-23-10, 01:24 PM
first one was your fault haha. you said yourself you usually do all at once.

second one though sounds like my kind of luck

gdwriter
07-23-10, 06:29 PM
Though not back-to-back like Drew's brake lines, I what I would consider a rare failure with both Betty and Cruella, sheared pulley bolts (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-forums-lounge-member-introductions/124519-lightning-strikes-same-place-twice-pretty.html).

Sevillian273
07-23-10, 07:55 PM
I think someone is trying to have you 'whacked'. :eek:

Seriously though, was it the flexible lines from the frame to the calipers that went? Mine have dry rot... Ive been thinking of replacing them all. Maybe this thread is a sign...

drewsdeville
07-23-10, 11:29 PM
No, the steel lines between the master cylinder and the rear brake hoses. Failure due to corrosion. Happens here in WI after 20 years and 200,000 miles. Something you Floridans don't really have to worry about.

One thing I don't understand is why it took manufacturers so long to come up with the idea to install epoxy coated lines like you buy at the auto store. I'm pretty sure almost every car comes with them now, but it was adopted only recently.