: Striker Plate Adjustment

Cadjiek
07-20-10, 03:39 PM
Are the door striker plates on our cars adjustable? If so, how do you get the striker plate to move after loosening the torx bolts?

next2pool
07-20-10, 03:43 PM
Are the door striker plates on our cars adjustable? If so, how do you get the striker plate to move after loosening the torx bolts?

I've adjusted mine several times. I don't loosen the bolts completely but back them off snd take a good size ball peen hammer and tap it in the direction you want. If you loosen them entirely, it's difficult to make small adjustments.

kschwed
07-20-10, 03:50 PM
Why would you want to do this?

Cadjiek
07-20-10, 04:16 PM
My wife's 09 CTS right rear door closed in too far exposing the edge of the rear quarter panel. Today the plate on my on my 07 STS was replaced
and I felt that the seam was not flush with the rear door like it was from the factory. It was closing in too far. Thanks NEXT2POOL for the advice.
All doors are now properly flush. I have to say though it took a good poke to make them move. Even with the screws pretty loose. I didn't notice mine until I got home and didn't want to go back.

next2pool
07-20-10, 04:52 PM
Why would you want to do this?

To adjust the door flushness to the rest of the sheet metal. That's how it's done in the plant and by repair shops. If you loosen the striker too much, it will move and lose the original setting and then you need to start from scratch.

KRSTS
07-20-10, 05:17 PM
To adjust the fit of the door if you have any air leakage or wind noise around the door seal. I had to do it to my old STS.

EChas3
07-20-10, 10:23 PM
According to one of our German members, the doors sometimes need adjustment at both hinge and striker. Tilting the top in prevents excessive wind noise above 140 MPH. :)

next2pool
07-21-10, 12:15 AM
According to one of our German members, the doors sometimes need adjustment at both hinge and striker. Tilting the top in prevents excessive wind noise above 140 MPH. :)

No doubt!! There are very innovative ways to tweak these doors!!