: Computer OS info from Microsoft

Submariner409
07-20-10, 02:36 PM
For the computer users............just did a Windows Update and learned that Microsoft has dropped online updates and support for Windows XP - SP2 as of July 13.

Download and change to SP3 and gain a few years of life.............

drewsdeville
07-20-10, 02:57 PM
I have to ask...SP3 was released over 2 years ago. What are you still doing on SP2 anyway?

Jesda
07-20-10, 03:13 PM
Wait until you find out about Windows 7 :)

codewize
07-21-10, 12:43 AM
Yeah hello. If you're still on SP2 you're probably so compromised it's not worth talking about.

dkozloski
07-21-10, 04:40 AM
There's always that 10% that never get the word.

FWIW. I just upgraded my HP laptop to Win 7 64bit. HP said it couldn't be done because they don't supply video drivers but the generic Nvidia Vista 64bit video drivers work just fine.

codewize
07-21-10, 08:02 AM
Sub, I love you man but what were you thinking. That sounded a little smart assy so I wanted to apologize

Seriously, one of the problems with SP2 is the simple fact that I don't think you can install IE 8 on it which means your browser is also insanely vulnerable.

SP3 has been out for years. We've had 2 brand new OS's since then.

If you haven't already, get SP3 installed. If you're due for a new computer get Win 7, probably no need for you to go 64 bit.

I think MS has committed to support XP SP3 until 2014.

drewsdeville
07-21-10, 08:06 AM
There's always that 10% that never get the word.

FWIW. I just upgraded my HP laptop to Win 7 64bit. HP said it couldn't be done because they don't supply video drivers but the generic Nvidia Vista 64bit video drivers work just fine.

That or Nvidia provides Win 7 drivers on their website

Submariner409
07-21-10, 08:16 AM
Ummm,,,,,,,,,troops, I'm not quite as senile as the juveniles make me out to be.

One machine runs with XP-PRO SP3 (since SP3 Day One) and the other two with 7. During the CF site downtime yesterday I was using IE8 for other surfing and when CF came back I stayed in IE8 through the evening with no problems. I usually use Firefox, though.

I posted the info on SP2 as a "heads up" for anyone with an older laptop or PC, and there are a lot of them out there: the Microsoft Support window came up as an info sidebar during one of the infamous monthly "Black Tuesday" update sessions.

drewsdeville, In Post #2, as usual, you have your head shoved up your ass.

drewsdeville
07-21-10, 08:44 AM
Take it easy there, champ.

That wasn't even meant to be insulting! I'm sorry if you took it that way. There ARE plenty out there who have never upgraded for other reasons, usually software compatibility. I was simply asking what yours were. If you have already upgraded to SP3 then that's great. Whats the problem?

Looks like YOU are the one with their head up their ass, huh? I think they have medication for that nowadays.

Get the sand out of the muffin or shove it, buddy

Jesda
07-21-10, 03:19 PM
Thanks for the heads up, Submariner. :)