: Remote Start and Rear Heated Seats

Bee iLL
07-20-10, 10:01 AM
I noticed something interesting yesterday. I remote started my SRX and then about 5 minutes later went to put my Son in his child seat. While I was doing this, I noticed that the Rear Heated seat indicators were on.... It was 90 degrees outside! Now I do have the remote start option to Cool the front seats, but I verified the the option to Heat the seats was not selected... From reading in the manual, the rear seats are only heated, not ventilated, so I know it wasn't "cooling" them. Because the leather was already hot from being outside, I could not tell if the heated seats were actually on or not. Also, with the temp being 90 degrees outside, it shouldn't have been turning on the heated seats anyways. Has anyone else experienced this? I could see this becoming a major issue with backseat passengers in the future. I'm thinking this is a software issue...

TheCaptain
07-20-10, 11:30 AM
I thought this was a normal function when command starting with rear heated seats. I may have read it in the manual, i think... i'm not near either of mine right now to confirm though.

Anyways, i'm sure mine does it too, because i thought it odd to kick the lights off up front, but on in the back. But then, all SRX models have tinted rear windows... so maybe that lets it be ok to have the back seat lights on... :hmm:

Bee iLL
07-20-10, 12:01 PM
I would think it would be normal if the temp outside was below 50 degrees.... But it was near 90! Also, I thought I read the heated seats would only come on during remote start if that option is checked under the personalization settings --> climate and air quality. Why in the world would someone want heated seats when it is 90 outside and the leather is already scorching hot!

Cadillac Cust Svc
07-22-10, 11:04 AM
Bee iLL, I would have to suggest you speak with your local dealership about this issue. They would be able to diagnose what the issue with the vehicle would be to cause this for you as well as best able to fix the vehicle. Depending on your mileage you should still be under the 4 year 50,000 mile bumper to bumper warranty for the vehicle as well which should cover you for this fix, under normal circumstances. I hope that helps you.

Jeff Morris, Cadillac Customer Service

doctormstein1
07-22-10, 05:24 PM
[QUOTE=Bee iLL;2309577]I noticed something interesting yesterday. I remote started my SRX and then about 5 minutes later went to put my Son in his child seat. While I was doing this, I noticed that the Rear Heated seat indicators were on.... It was 90 degrees outside! Now I do have the remote start option to Cool the front seats, but I verified the the option to Heat the seats was not selected... From reading in the manual, the rear seats are only heated, not ventilated, so I know it wasn't "cooling" them. Because

I thought that if you go to the configuration button you can turn on the seat heat or turn it off when you remote start

TheCaptain
07-22-10, 09:25 PM
I thought that if you go to the configuration button you can turn on the seat heat or turn it off when you remote start

You know, i think you're right on that one. I have mine set to cool for the summer, and haven't seen the heat seat light in the rear... well, since it was cold out, when i last had it set to heat on command start.

sube5186
07-23-10, 08:21 PM
I noticed something interesting yesterday. I remote started my SRX and then about 5 minutes later went to put my Son in his child seat. While I was doing this, I noticed that the Rear Heated seat indicators were on.... It was 90 degrees outside! Now I do have the remote start option to Cool the front seats, but I verified the the option to Heat the seats was not selected... From reading in the manual, the rear seats are only heated, not ventilated, so I know it wasn't "cooling" them. Because the leather was already hot from being outside, I could not tell if the heated seats were actually on or not. Also, with the temp being 90 degrees outside, it shouldn't have been turning on the heated seats anyways. Has anyone else experienced this? I could see this becoming a major issue with backseat passengers in the future. I'm thinking this is a software issue...

I should preface this by stating that this issue only affects the Premium Collection SRXs, as they are the only ones with heated rear seats.

I just checked and mine works exactly the same way. This is definitely a software defect. I tried turning off the "heated seats during remote start" feature in the Config Menu. Even with it turned off, they still come on. You shouldn't have to turn this feature off anyway. The heated seats are only supposed to come on when the exterior temp hits 50 degrees or lower. But as I mentioned, turning it off does nothing.

I called Cadillac Customer Assistance about this. As usual it took me three different ways of explaining before they understood this was not broken, but a "design defect". They kept trying to get me to take my car in for repairs. Then, the guy proceeded to tell me there was only one way to report needed design changes. I'd have to go to the link below and explain the situation. From what I can tell, that link is to submit patented ideas for production consideration. What the hell are they talking about?

GMJim, any ideas on the proper procedure to get this changed?

http://www.gm.com/experience/technology/innovations/

Sube

embassy
07-24-10, 01:43 AM
I am slightly confused here. I have the Premium model and so have heated and cooled seats. On the configuration option on the Nav screen I have an option to check if I wanted cooled seats and another option to check if I want heated seats on remote start. I checked both those options as I figured that the vehicle would automatically determine whether to heat or cool based upon the outside ambient temp. It has been 80F plus the last few days and so I have tried it. I get neither heated nor cooled.

Wondering if I should only have one option checked at a time, but if that is so, then wouldn't they grey out the other option?

sube5186
07-24-10, 10:17 AM
I am slightly confused here. I have the Premium model and so have heated and cooled seats. On the configuration option on the Nav screen I have an option to check if I wanted cooled seats and another option to check if I want heated seats on remote start. I checked both those options as I figured that the vehicle would automatically determine whether to heat or cool based upon the outside ambient temp. It has been 80F plus the last few days and so I have tried it. I get neither heated nor cooled.

Wondering if I should only have one option checked at a time, but if that is so, then wouldn't they grey out the other option?

Embassy, that's exactly how the system is supposed to work. You should be able to leave both checked and the car will determine which to activate on remote start, the ventilated or heated seats, based on the outside temperature. The problem we're referring to has to do with the "rear" heated seats. The rear heated seats are coming on during remote start in 90 degree weather. Have you checked your rear seats? The heated seat indicators display on the LCD on the rear of the center console. You won't be able to tell by simply touching the seating surface, as the seats will already be hot from the ambient temperature. Please check yours. I'm trying to determine if the problem is widespread.

Thanks!

Sube

Ponyman
07-24-10, 10:43 AM
Just went out to the garage and remote started ours. Waited a few minutes and checked it. Air Conditioner running full blast, and no lights on for the heated rear seats. I am busy this morning, but will try to take time sometime today to check the Config menu and see what the seats are set on.

sube5186
07-24-10, 10:49 AM
Just went out to the garage and remote started ours. Waited a few minutes and checked it. Air Conditioner running full blast, and no lights on for the heated rear seats. I am busy this morning, but will try to take time sometime today to check the Config menu and see what the seats are set on.

Unless your garage is over 80 degrees, it's not the same scenario. It should be hot enough to activate the ventilated front seats on remote start. Try it again outside once the car has been sitting in the heat for a while. Turn the A/C off before you shut the car off prior to using the remote start.

Sube

Ponyman
07-24-10, 08:30 PM
Did a remote start at a family reunion this afternoon. No heated back seat lights on. The AC was running and the car was cool when we got in it. I did notice that the AC controls wouldn't respond till I pushed the start button.

sube5186
07-24-10, 08:56 PM
Did a remote start at a family reunion this afternoon. No heated back seat lights on. The AC was running and the car was cool when we got in it. I did notice that the AC controls wouldn't respond till I pushed the start button.

That part is normal. Were the ventilated front seats on?

Sube

TRARON
07-24-10, 09:25 PM
Tried mine today, car cool, no indication of rear heated seats being on.

Ponyman
07-24-10, 10:14 PM
Yeah, the ventilated front seats were on.

embassy
07-25-10, 01:23 AM
Got warm enough this afternoon. No indicator for heated seats in the back, but no indicator for cooled seats in the front either. It was 88F out and the car had been in the sun for about 2 hours. As indicated in my earlier post both cooled and heated seats are checked on the nav configuration screen.

sube5186
07-25-10, 10:00 AM
Got warm enough this afternoon. No indicator for heated seats in the back, but no indicator for cooled seats in the front either. It was 88F out and the car had been in the sun for about 2 hours. As indicated in my earlier post both cooled and heated seats are checked on the nav configuration screen.

During remote start, when the heated/ventilated front seats come on, there is no indicator. The lights on the buttons that normally illuminate, do not. I know this is weird, but that's the way they work. Personally, I think that was a design omission, but I'll never get GM to admit that. We'll see if it changes for 2011. If so, then that will be their admission. Anyway, you have to listen for the ventilated seats. You'll hear two fans running. Manually turn on the ventilated seats without the A/C running. Then you'll know what sound to listen for during remote start.

Sube

stevec5375
07-25-10, 11:47 AM
Speaking of ventilated seats... I have them and when I manually turn them on the cooling seems to be very subtle. I was expecting to feel more cool air coming out of the tiny wholes in the leather. But it is very subdued even when on high (3 LEDs lit). Is this your experience too or is mine behaving below par?

TheCaptain
07-25-10, 12:02 PM
That is standard stevec. Any higher and the fan would probably create enough pressure to backflow some air when you are sitting on it.
And while i agree it may be a little subtle, they definitely only help a pinch on a short trip. Longer trips is where they shine.

sube5186
07-25-10, 07:58 PM
Speaking of ventilated seats... I have them and when I manually turn them on the cooling seems to be very subtle. I was expecting to feel more cool air coming out of the tiny wholes in the leather. But it is very subdued even when on high (3 LEDs lit). Is this your experience too or is mine behaving below par?

They don't blow air out of the holes. It's a reverse fan. They "draw" warm air away from the seating surface. Mine definitely make a difference, especially when you first get into a hot car. I turn them on high at first. Then I back it down to medium or low. They cool your back too. It's not just the seating surface.

Sube

Bee iLL
07-26-10, 01:59 PM

You know, i think you're right on that one. I have mine set to cool for the summer, and haven't seen the heat seat light in the rear...

Since it seems like people have a hard time reading and understanding what I have tried and what is set, I will spell out the problem and settings real easy for everyone.

Settings:
-Remote Start Config - Ventillated\Cooled Seats - ON
-Remote Start Config - Heated Seats - OFF
-Temp outside - Near 90 F

Problem:
Remote Start vehicle, front Ventillated\Cooled Seats come ON but the Rear Seat Heater light indicator is also ON. I cannot tell if the rear seat is really heating up, as the seat is already HOT from the temp outside.

If you are trying to duplicate, verify your settings are set the same.
-Remote Start Config - Ventillated\Cooled Seats - ON
-Temp Outside - At Least Over 80 F

embassy
07-28-10, 05:58 PM
If you are trying to duplicate, verify your settings are set the same.
-Remote Start Config - VentillatedCooled Seats - ON
-Temp Outside - At Least Over 80 F

I tried these settings and did not get the rear heated seats indicators on, only the front seats were in cool mode.

I went back and changed the configuration to my previous setting.

Remote Start Config - VentillatedCooled Seats - ON
Remote Start Config - Heated Seats - ON

Now I did get the rear indicators on. The front seats were in cool mode though. As well, I couldn't tell if the rear seats were getting hotter than what they were. This is wierd - some people seem to be okay, but mine seem to be different than the OP.

sube5186
07-28-10, 06:17 PM
Since it seems like people have a hard time reading and understanding what I have tried and what is set, I will spell out the problem and settings real easy for everyone.

Settings:
-Remote Start Config - VentillatedCooled Seats - ON
-Temp outside - Near 90 F

Problem:
Remote Start vehicle, front VentillatedCooled Seats come ON but the Rear Seat Heater light indicator is also ON. I cannot tell if the rear seat is really heating up, as the seat is already HOT from the temp outside.

My rear seat heaters come on under this exact same scenario. Not good. If the heaters are in fact actually on, as opposed to just the LCD display being on, then this could cause overheating of the heating element. Just imagine heaters on when the seating surface is already 120 degrees. Yikes!

Sube

Bee iLL
07-29-10, 01:23 PM
I tried these settings and did not get the rear heated seats indicators on, only the front seats were in cool mode.

I went back and changed the configuration to my previous setting.

Remote Start Config - VentillatedCooled Seats - ON
Remote Start Config - Heated Seats - ON

Now I did get the rear indicators on. The front seats were in cool mode though. As well, I couldn't tell if the rear seats were getting hotter than what they were. This is wierd - some people seem to be okay, but mine seem to be different than the OP.

Do you have the latest software updates done to your car? I had mine in for service about a month ago and they did all of the required updates at that time... I'm wondering if a newer update A) caused this problem or B) Will resolve this issue.

I'm still waiting for my chrome trim pieces to come in, but once they do I am going to mention this to the dealer at the same time.