: Runing Hotter than Usual

fristim
07-19-10, 07:29 PM
2000 DTS with 108000. Went to go outta town on friday and while running last minute errands I noticed that the temp gauge kept creaping higher and higher. Outside temp about 98 with air on full blast. Went ahead and hit the interstate and the temp went down but then around about 70 mph it started creaping back up to 3/4 hot mark and stayed there. I just changed the waterpump belt and tensioner, stat, and fresh coolant with coolant tabs! So I'm noticing that I still am having issues with the warm running but more so at idle. I also notice that the heat doesnt work that well at idle either. I've checked all the passages for blockages and there were non. However I do notice that the lower rad hose is much cooler that the top which we lead me to believe that the radiator doesnt have suffecient flow. Any other ideas as to what to check. And I've also checked the return purge line and its flowing too!

Submariner409
07-19-10, 08:33 PM
Is the thermostat installed correctly, and why did you replace it in the first place ?? A simple stovetop boil test would have verified its operation.

Is the new 'stat an ACDelco or aftermarket - Stant or Gates ??

Did you verify the operation of the cooling fans with A/C ON and OFF..........idle cooling problems might be fans, not pumps.

fristim
07-20-10, 11:06 AM
changed the stat just because i was in the system and thought that might be causing the problem plus with a 100000 on it surely i couldnt hurt. its an a.c. delco stat. cooling fans run properly, im much less incline to have the creeping up temp with the air off. however it does still climb with the air off and at idle. if i go out and check the fans theyre running on high but arent pullin heat from the radiator! if i bring the rpms to about 1000 all is fine. thats also when the heater gets MUCH hotter. Havent changed the water pump just because i know its a pump and thats all she does and its not leaking! With the new tensioner and belt I do think that thepump is working fine. There's no such thing a weak pump on a northstar right? it seems i have a blockage somewhere thats not allowing me to either 1. fill the system properly 2. restricting proper flow. I checked the pump and its spinning freely! At a loss here!

Ranger
07-20-10, 11:48 AM
There's no such thing a weak pump on a northstar right?
Correct.

it seems i have a blockage somewhere thats not allowing me to either 1. fill the system properly 2. restricting proper flow. I checked the pump and its spinning freely! At a loss here!
Have you verified that the purge line is clear and flows coolant?