: Put on Continentals

caddiedrummer
07-19-10, 03:28 PM
After fairly lousy wear from he PS2s, I switched at my tire dealer's suggestion to Conti DW Extremes. Don't get me wrong, I love the ride of the PS2s--have had them on 3 Vipers, but you can run thru them quick with a daily driver.

The Contis may run down as quick but at least they are a lot cheaper. They were about $1100 installed (balence etc) So far, they feel very nice.

asabase
07-19-10, 04:15 PM
I think my PS2s are going to last longer than the two sets of Continental Touring I had on my 300C. I swore off of them. Let me know how yours last.

Kadonny
07-19-10, 04:21 PM
I too loved the PS2s, just loved them but I went with the more economical alternative also, the Hankooks. Like them so far.

Caddyscat
07-19-10, 05:43 PM
What pressure are you running them Drummer? I got a set of Extreme contact DW's about a month ago & running them @32 psi. They're MUCH quieter, but less responsive.

aburd
07-19-10, 08:02 PM
get my hankooks wed. look forward to posting impressions. i dont track it so im not too concerned about ultra performance.

ab

caddiedrummer
07-19-10, 08:52 PM
What pressure are you running them Drummer? I got a set of Extreme contact DW's about a month ago & running them @32 psi. They're MUCH quieter, but less responsive.

Ditto--32 and quiet. I was never a Conti fan but they have made big improvments over the yrs. I was never a Pirrelli fan but the winter Sottos on the V are great. I wanted the Kuhmo (sp?) but my dealer who sells lots of them talked me into the Contis.

cbloveday
07-19-10, 09:17 PM
I had the conti sport contac2 on my M6 OEM BMW. No complaints, although others on the board complained of tires cracking and splitting on the tread.

cmann_97
07-19-10, 09:25 PM
Just installed Nitto invos on the rear....still have PS2's on the front. Invos are at 33PSI...great looking tread pattern (radical), but they spin like crazy!

thebigjimsho
07-24-10, 10:00 PM
I too loved the PS2s, just loved them but I went with the more economical alternative also, the Hankooks. Like them so far.
economical on the fastest 70k sedan on the planet does not compute...

Caddyscat
07-24-10, 11:57 PM

It does when you use the car as a DD with mostly freeway miles, not much opportunity to utilize the PS2 as uber as they are.

thebigjimsho
07-25-10, 12:29 AM
It does when you use the car as a DD with mostly freeway miles, not much opportunity to utilize the PS2 as uber as they are.
If you want more treadlife, OK. Just don't go cheapey...

IBNR
07-25-10, 01:52 PM
I've never really been a fan of Continental tires (can't really explain why, just a prejudice I think), but the ExtremeContact DWs look like a good replacement option at a savings of about $500 per set over the OEM PS2s. Sure wish that Sumitomo made the HTR-Z IIIs in the OEM sizes for this car. Unbeatable tire for the price!

wfo
07-25-10, 02:01 PM
Good to know.

So far been happy with my 21" Pirelli P-Zero Neros in 255 front and 295 rear.

Kadonny
07-26-10, 08:48 AM

That's a ridiculous statement. When you can put a tire on that will do 90% of what the PS2s do (especially for a DD) for 1/2 the price that will last longer mileage wise, how can you not consider that.

If you want to take your 70K sedan and put $2000 worth of tires on it every 12-15k miles, then knock your self out. We're not talking about an Enzo here, it's still just a street car. I choose to be a bit more economical with my decisions on things what wear out in a short period of time........like tires.

thebigjimsho
07-28-10, 10:33 AM
That's a ridiculous statement. When you can put a tire on that will do 90% of what the PS2s do (especially for a DD) for 1/2 the price that will last longer mileage wise, how can you not consider that.

If you want to take your 70K sedan and put $2000 worth of tires on it every 12-15k miles, then knock your self out. We're not talking about an Enzo here, it's still just a street car. I choose to be a bit more economical with my decisions on things what wear out in a short period of time........like tires.
If you can find a tire that can do almost all that the PS2 can do, fine. But if your first criteria on a 70k 556hp sedan is price, then you're a tard. How about that?

Caddyscat
07-28-10, 03:02 PM
I think I'll try the Dunlop Sport Maxx GT next.

Kadonny
07-28-10, 03:47 PM
If you can find a tire that can do almost all that the PS2 can do, fine. But if your first criteria on a 70k 556hp sedan is price, then you're a tard. How about that?

Much better son. Now go clean your room :devil:

DrumStix
07-28-10, 03:57 PM

Too fast, some say..
--Clarkson

mugatu22
07-28-10, 06:40 PM

+1

The car has 556hp. It's going to eat tires. Accept that before you buy it, otherwise why buy the high HP car and install hard plastic road tires that defeat the performance you bought in the first place.

90% of what the PS2s do? Hmm.

Kadonny
07-29-10, 08:25 AM
+1

The car has 556hp. It's going to eat tires. Accept that before you buy it, otherwise why buy the high HP car and install hard plastic road tires that defeat the performance you bought in the first place.

90% of what the PS2s do? Hmm.

It has 556 hp, how much of that do you use on a regular basis? How much of that do you use on an occasional basis? Again, it's a road car for many of us, not a track car.

90% is a guess for sure, but many of these tires get great ratings and are in fact rated very close to the PS2s.

thebigjimsho
07-29-10, 10:34 AM
It has 556 hp, how much of that do you use on a regular basis? How much of that do you use on an occasional basis? Again, it's a road car for many of us, not a track car.

90% is a guess for sure, but many of these tires get great ratings and are in fact rated very close to the PS2s.
And some people buy Ferraris and park them for years in a carpet lined garage.

ledfut
07-29-10, 02:25 PM
I have 26,300 mi on my originals - does that mean I'm not having enough fun?
But, I'm due, so watching this thread closely. Inclination is to stick with the PS, but going to see if I can beat the dealer's $620/tire.

mugatu22
07-29-10, 02:31 PM

Fair enough, I'm being more idealistic. I'm not much of a track guy, but I do keep good tires on my sports cars. When I drive a 500HP+ sedan, I want the traction to be there right then and there when I want it...that's why I paid for the car. Cheaper tires usually = less traction, for the life of the tire. So when I DO decide to use that 556, I want the tires to be ready :D Hence, I run the OEM tires so the car will perform as advertised, whenever I decide I want it to, even if it's occasionally :)

Kadonny
07-29-10, 05:14 PM
And some people buy Ferraris and park them for years in a carpet lined garage.

And good for them if they have the money. I said earlier if you want to drop 2k plus on tires every 12-15k miles, knock yourself out.

Fair enough, I'm being more idealistic. I'm not much of a track guy, but I do keep good tires on my sports cars. When I drive a 500HP+ sedan, I want the traction to be there right then and there when I want it...that's why I paid for the car. Cheaper tires usually = less traction, for the life of the tire. So when I DO decide to use that 556, I want the tires to be ready :D Hence, I run the OEM tires so the car will perform as advertised, whenever I decide I want it to, even if it's occasionally :)

I drive my V every day and 95% of my driving I'm not using anywhere near the 556 hp. Even when I can use it if I have a tire that will perform 90% of what the PS2 will perform at half the price, I'm all shits and giggles. I can barely find a road where I can even get near 1g on the meter, let alone do it regularly.

I loved the PS2s, don't get me wrong. They were spectacular tires. But as in most things I look at cost benefit. I think most of us look at cost benefit (those willing to admit it) or else we would be driving a GT3 or some other 100k+ sports car. We love the V because of the bang for the buck.

Hell, I can barely find a road where I can safely pull over 1g on the g meter.

IBNR
07-29-10, 11:26 PM
Kadonny, +1, I'm right there with you. Love the car, love the OEM PS2s, doubt I'll put on PS2s when it comes time to replace them. My car, my choice, and I'm very, very sure that I'm not a "tard" (whatever the hell that is).

mugatu22
07-30-10, 12:17 AM
I'm very, very sure that I'm not a "tard" (whatever the hell that is).

It's the un-PC, abbreviated version of "retard." :peeking:

thebigjimsho
07-30-10, 01:05 PM
I have 26,300 mi on my originals - does that mean I'm not having enough fun?
But, I'm due, so watching this thread closely. Inclination is to stick with the PS, but going to see if I can beat the dealer's $620/tire.
One word: TireRack

Teutonaddict
07-30-10, 01:12 PM
When I drive a 500HP+ sedan, I want the traction to be there right then and there when I want it...that's why I paid for the car.

Which 500HP+ sedan have you bought and are now driving, exactly?

wfo
07-30-10, 03:41 PM
Everbody's got a budget.

We all want the most unique, sexiest, fastest car on the planet. Some people don't always think that far down the performance food chain when it comes time for tire replacement. They see them on the car when they buy it, but, I don't think they're thinking replacement cost at the moment. Get the ride worry about the other stuff later.

Then reality hits. "Michelin's are good for roughly how many miles and cost how much"?

Hey we're glad they got a V and they're on the Cadillac Owners Forum and we get to share a great ride together. It's all good.

bouser
07-31-10, 03:41 PM
One question how do the tires work?

RapidRob
07-31-10, 06:36 PM
One word: TireRack

Or, I'll be checking Costco's tire shop when the time comes. It's almost always hard to beat their prices ... !

Rob

JFJr
07-31-10, 07:34 PM
Which 500HP+ sedan have you bought and are now driving, exactly?Yes, mugatu22, you've already admitted that you don't own a "V," and yet are constantly trashing it's interior, etc., so tell us about your current 500+ hp car that you own and drive, and what your "real world," not auto mag vicarious experience, is with that car.

b4z
07-31-10, 09:28 PM
Friend of mine bought his PS2s at Costco for $1780 with all costs. The dealer couldn't even come close to that price.

I've been running Bridgestone RE760s on my GTO for 14,000 miles. Lots of tread still left. Love them. Very quiet.
340 treadwear rating. I am still not sure if Bridgestone has added V sizes though.

Getting Bridgestone RE11s for the GTO tomorrrow. 180 treadwear rating.
Building up the suspension and engine in the GTO so want a little more capability.
It'll be interesting to see how long they last. But all the guys that own GTOs in my town have them and autoX and dragrace a bunch and are getting 20K miles.
275/30-19 and 245/35-19. Price for them mounted with taxes is $1248 locally.

I have owned 3 Cadillac SRXs. 2 had the Goodyears RSA's. Both cars vibrated on the highway and the imbalance couldn't be fixed. Changed out to Continentals and they road smooth as glass. The Contis killed the Goodyears and were much much cheaper.