: Questions about Navigation (Arrival time display & Use while driving)

BethHeppert
07-19-10, 09:20 AM
I just purchased my Premium SRX this weekend. I am very excited but have a few questions on the navigation.

1. Does anyone have any information about an override code/wire that can be changed to allow destination input while driving?

2. Has anyone done this and had success?

3. Is there anyway to change the format in which it shows the arrival time (right now mine only shows the distance in miles and time in minutes. I would LOVE for it to display the actual arrival TIME instead).

Thank you!

TheCaptain
07-19-10, 09:25 PM
1. Lockpic (or whatever they are called) is supposedly working on a fix. As of right now, nothing is available.
2. See #1 /unknown

3. There does not appear to be a way to change the estimated travel time to estimated arrival time. Also, the estimated travel time adjusts "interestingly" according to speeds from when the destination was put in, and taps the vehicle's current speed at random intervals.
Its alright for time on the highway, but it definitely can't estimate through the city i find.

algiorda
07-20-10, 12:11 PM
You can enter destinations using the Voice Recognition while driving. I used this over the weekend, but sadly it was kludgy. I was not able to get my destination entered correctly; it couldn't find the correct street name and when I said "back", it kept saying destination canceled. there is also no way of entering voice instructed Points of Interest.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

TheCaptain
07-20-10, 11:30 PM
You can enter destinations using the Voice Recognition while driving. I used this over the weekend, but sadly it was kludgy. I was not able to get my destination entered correctly; it couldn't find the correct street name and when I said "back", it kept saying destination canceled. there is also no way of entering voice instructed Points of Interest.

Maybe you'll have better luck.

Sounds just like my voice nav...

TexasStation
07-21-10, 10:09 AM
Speaking of estimated driving time, I'm seeing something a little wierd on my nav. I'm driving from Dallas to Amarillo, which I've done several times, and I KNOW it's about 6 hours drive time. The nav is tacking on another two hours for a total of 8 hours driving time. That's going up U.S 287, which is the most direct route. I checked and there are no traffic or construction icons on the route. Not sure why it's doing that.

Another strange twist is if I set it to the "Fastest" route, it takes me North on I35 to Oklahoma City, then East on I40 to Amarillo, which is basically two sides of a triangle. Distance is 100 miles further than going the U.S. 287 route, but the drive time is 1 hour LESS. I know it's all interstate, but no way would it be that much of a difference.

Just wondering if this is something that is fixable with a software update of some sort, or should I just chalk it up as one of the imperfections of a nav system?

algiorda
07-21-10, 12:05 PM
I haven't tested this with the SRX Nav as yet (I'm curious now and will test), but my Garmin sort of does this as it has the speed limits built in. So if I travel on a 55 mph road, it will adjust my travel time once I start my travel.

I wonder if this is happening in your situation???

TexasStation
07-21-10, 12:26 PM
Hmmm...that's an interesting point, especially since I noticed not too long ago that the DIC was showing a posted speed limit of 55 on the Dallas Tollway, but it was 70 going through that area.

TheCaptain
07-21-10, 12:54 PM
Yea, i had mine tagged for the drive between Fargo ND and Minot ND (apx 4 hours) and the nav had a set time of almost 7. After a quick trip through the city of Fergus falls (essentially all interstate) the nav started to cut major time off my estimated travel. A short while out of FF, it was right on time again.

And speaking of Garmin, i had a Garmin nav in my parents vehicle that was following me on the same trip. It seemed to want to make a lot more turns and whatnot and did not correlate with the SRX nav. We followed the SRX nav since i was lead vehicle, and had no problems at all. So i wonder where the Garmin wanted to take us... if that route was faster or something... but i mean, we were on the interstate most times, so other then construction (which the Garmin has no way of knowing - older model) you couldn't really have picked a better route!