: Cement Tire Stops in Parking Lots vs. my CTSV

jmassey1948
07-16-10, 11:57 AM
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been brought up, but I'm curious to know how many people have had to replace the entire front end cowling assembly due to hanging on those *&%$# stupid cement stops they use in parking lots to stop wheels. So far it's cost me over $2000.00. to have it fixed (twice). The obvious solution is don't park near them or reverse and back into the space. This is a pain, and an obvious design flaw, but I somehow suspect GM isn't going to recall my car in the near future to fix this problem. Other than that, I love my car!! It's gotten compliments wherever I go.

way2evil1
07-16-10, 12:35 PM
It isnt GMs problem. Dont pull so far up in the space. Extremely simple solution.

Caroutisine
07-16-10, 12:39 PM
There are many cars out there that sit as low as the V that would have the same issue.

Florian
07-16-10, 01:39 PM
design flaw???? Id say operator error.

F

asabase
07-16-10, 01:39 PM
I wouldn't call it a design flaw. It just has a low front end, no different than a vette or ferrari.

tedcmiller
07-16-10, 02:00 PM
The 2009 and later CTS-V is differerent from the 2004-2007 CTS-V in that there is more clearance. On my previous Vs I could not go over any tire stops. With the 2009 model I can go over most (not all) tire stops with no problem. However, as many posters have suggested, I just don't pull up as far - a habit developed with the previous Vs. It is definitely not a design flaw.

wfo
07-16-10, 02:19 PM
Respectfully here. I do realize that accidents happen to the best of us on bad days, but twice! Come on now.

Learn how to cautiously drive up to a parking abutment.

Vrocks
07-16-10, 03:03 PM
I damaged the very lower trim piece (rubbery piece) as well. I got a new one... no big deal.

cbloveday
07-16-10, 03:20 PM
Damage the front end once, shame on you. Damage the front end twice,
shame on your spacial awareness.

snzuloz
07-16-10, 03:25 PM
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been brought up, but I'm curious to know how many people have had to replace the entire front end cowling assembly due to hanging on those *&%$# stupid cement stops they use in parking lots to stop wheels. So far it's cost me over $2000.00. to have it fixed (twice). The obvious solution is don't park near them or reverse and back into the space. This is a pain, and an obvious design flaw, but I somehow suspect GM isn't going to recall my car in the near future to fix this problem. Other than that, I love my car!! It's gotten compliments wherever I go.

Would have been cheaper to get corrective eye surgery/contacts/glasses (j/k)
I love that the front end sits as it does (very aggressive look), but definately not the car to pull up too close to curbs with. Two months now with my car and still no contact...

Z06ified
07-16-10, 03:44 PM
Definitely not a design flaw on a car that tops out at over 190 MPH. They could have made a much higher front end that would clear concrete stops, but then the car would want to try to go airborne above 140 MPH. Not good.

There are certain sacrifices you have to make when driving a 190 MPH, 556hp, 4-door supercar. Having a low front clip that scrapes easily is one of them.

Umrswimr
07-16-10, 04:30 PM
Eh, I'm used to it from my C5. NFW will the nose of that clear a curb- especially since I lowered it.

4DR_ZR1
07-16-10, 05:15 PM
OP... your 'first' post to this forum has gone well :bigroll:

What other design flaws have you run into?

The Tony Show
07-16-10, 05:21 PM
Low front ends that get trashed on parking curbs is part and parcel with owning a performance car. Time to relearn when to stop.

thatcoder
07-16-10, 05:57 PM
ROFLMAO.. can i laugh? really dude? design flaw? you bought the car with the flaw, knowing how low it was to the ground, but you are the operator that parks the car when you see the curb.

AMRAAM4
07-16-10, 06:14 PM
So what would you say if it was a Z06 you owned and ripped the entire front end off?

cdog533
07-16-10, 10:41 PM
I bent a Porsche 924's metal front spoiler on a parking block 25 years ago. Hasn't happened since. I did drive same 924 completely OVER a parking block, it got stuck on the rockers. Had to have gang of kids push me off the block. Rockers were not so straight following incident.

As to the V, or any performance car, as stated DON'T pull it up so far. Damn.

mpouls1
07-17-10, 12:32 AM
It's good to vent sometimes.

Tony407
07-17-10, 12:49 AM
Hence the reason I installed a front camera on my V. Plus, mine is lowered so it's even more important. I'm not very good at judging distances in front of my car.

Tony

chopmeat
07-17-10, 01:03 AM
I have the D3 lowering springs and I am constantly actually getting out and looking before just gunning it. lol
I am determined to not damage this car and take loving care!!!!!!!!
If you need to get out and look then LOOK!

RB190
07-17-10, 07:14 AM
Dude, it's a good thing you don't own a Z06 or the new Grand Sport. You can go across an intersection and scrape the splitter on one of those. I've done it so many times I've lost count.

RB

JFJr
07-17-10, 09:05 AM
I'm sure this isn't the first time this has been brought up, but I'm curious to know how many people have had to replace the entire front end cowling assembly due to hanging on those *&%$# stupid cement stops they use in parking lots to stop wheels. So far it's cost me over $2000.00. to have it fixed (twice). The obvious solution is don't park near them or reverse and back into the space. This is a pain, and an obvious design flaw, but I somehow suspect GM isn't going to recall my car in the near future to fix this problem. Other than that, I love my car!! It's gotten compliments wherever I go.Sorry about your experience. Sometimes it costs good money to learn a lesson; in your case, a lot. Every other high performance car that I can think of has the same problem, only worse; it goes with the territory. With Corvettes you learn pretty quickly to enter a parking lot slowly and at an angle to avoid scraping the front spoiler, to avoid steep driveway/road transitions and to always be aware of the long hood and never try to "snuggle up" to a sidewalk or cement stop. Fortunately, the "V" is not as unforgiving as Corvettes.

Jud

lavaman
07-17-10, 10:40 AM
Sorry about your experience. Sometimes it costs good money to learn a lesson; in your case, a lot. Every other high performance car that I can think of has the same problem, only worse; it goes with the territory. With Corvettes you learn pretty quickly to enter a parking lot slowly and at an angle to avoid scraping the front spoiler, to avoid steep driveway/road transitions and to always be aware of the long hood and never try to "snuggle up" to a sidewalk or cement stop. Fortunately, the "V" is not as unforgiving as Corvettes.

Jud

Welcome to the forum jmassey1948!

Jud, that was a compassionate response to the OP's statement. Good for you!

Just to commiserate..... I was in the passenger seat of my car when my 25 year old police officer... (professionally, trained driver) son proceeded to tap a car stop as I cried out "STOP'! I, of course was too late with my warning and as a result the lower lip had been pulled down a bit. I wanted to cry!

Fortunately. a carefully placed zip-tie brought things back into alignment without further cost.

I feel your pain. It's an easy mistake to make!

Doug

cmann_97
07-17-10, 11:09 AM
RE:Tony407
Can you share any details on the front camera install. Been wanting to do one of those for my car.

paul34
07-17-10, 01:48 PM
It's not a design flaw. It's a combination of knowing where your front end is, along with the stupidity of excessively high tire stops (and also very high curbs). Don't worry about it, we all learn our various lessons.

Backing in is not always a solution, since a sufficiently low exhaust could also scrape on a high curb or tire stop. But you're right that backing into a parking spot is a better idea regardless :)

wfo
07-17-10, 02:01 PM
[QUOTE=paul34;2307112]It's not a design flaw. It's a combination of knowing where your front end is, along with the stupidity of excessively high tire stops (and also very high curbs). Don't worry about it, we all learn our various lessons.

CAUTION:" BACKING IN" MIGHT GET YOU A TICKET IN SOME PARTS OF THE COUNTRY.

JUST LOOK WHERE YOU'RE GOING. :banghead:

Tony407
07-17-10, 02:58 PM
RE:Tony407
Can you share any details on the front camera install. Been wanting to do one of those for my car.

Here you go:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum-2009/193321-installed-backup-camera-pics.html

Tony

BeagleBrains
07-17-10, 04:12 PM
[QUOTE=paul34;2307112]It's not a design flaw.
CAUTION:" BACKING IN" MIGHT GET YOU A TICKET IN SOME PARTS OF THE COUNTRY. JUST LOOK WHERE YOU'RE GOING. :banghead:
Oh sure! Why back in to an empty parking spot when you can back out into traffic under restricted visability conditions. I always back in. When driving out, I am presented with a broad, clear, forward view.
I used to call my wife a "sound driver" because she always proceeded forward into a parking slot until she heard the impact of either the car body, bending a wheel or realigning the front suspension. She has since learned that matching the car position with the extent of parking lines gives reasonal margin and no impact damage. We have little or no expense of frequent realignments these days.
I cringe whenever I see a car parked with the tire distorted against a barrier or curb that was used (by a "sound driver":suspect:) as a measure of parking limits.

cdog533
07-17-10, 06:16 PM
I'm sure this doesn't apply to any of you guys, but the guys I've seen BACK into a parking space WERE FREAKIN' TOOLS! Usually some big muscle guy in either a) a Mustang or b) a giant Ford F350 on big tires with a loud exhaust. Sunglasses turned backwards, gold chains. Kind of a combination of Jersey Shore and Guy Fiore.

Backing into a parking space just says to the rest of the world "Hey! I'm special! My car is special and kick ass! I rule, you suck. By the way, I'm a tool!"

In my opinion, you should ONLY back into a parking space if you feel your exit might be accompanied by a hail of bullets and you'll need to make a quick getaway. Or, in your garage it's OK, but ONLY if you think the FBI might raid your place and you'll need to make a door-splintering launch out of the garage to get away (hail of bullets optional).

JFJr
07-17-10, 06:52 PM
I'm sure this doesn't apply to any of you guys, but the guys I've seen BACK into a parking space WERE FREAKIN' TOOLS! Usually some big muscle guy in either a) a Mustang or b) a giant Ford F350 on big tires with a loud exhaust. Sunglasses turned backwards, gold chains. Kind of a combination of Jersey Shore and Guy Fiore.

Backing into a parking space just says to the rest of the world "Hey! I'm special! My car is special and kick ass! I rule, you suck. By the way, I'm a tool!"

In my opinion, you should ONLY back into a parking space if you feel your exit might be accompanied by a hail of bullets and you'll need to make a quick getaway. Or, in your garage it's OK, but ONLY if you think the FBI might raid your place and you'll need to make a door-splintering launch out of the garage to get away (hail of bullets optional).Lighten up, man! I'm sure there plenty of those, and I don't tolerate "tools" either, and they don't deserve it, but there are good reasons to back into a space (I don't usually do it but there are reasons.). Have you ever been surrounded on either side by giant pickup trucks/SUV's/"metal clouds" in a parking space? Backing out is a leap of faith.

Jud

BeagleBrains
07-18-10, 05:30 PM
I'm sure .... ..the guys I've seen BACK into a parking space WERE FREAKIN' TOOLS! Backing into a parking space just says to the rest of the world ...opinion!
Could be you have never seen the light of the sun, since your head is confined "in my.... ass." :bonkers:
Everybody is screwed up except you! :hmm:

dqw1
07-18-10, 06:05 PM
Thanks for telling everyone what to do because maybe you can't back up your car.

cbloveday
07-19-10, 12:09 AM
I always park far away from cars and near a curb. That way at least one side is protected. I try to get close to the curb to give the other side ample room should a car park there. The only reason I would back up was to get a good line of site on the rear wheels near the curb. Easier for me to judge distance to a curb via rear wheels than the fronts.
I'm not known for being a "backer upper", per say.

IBNR
07-19-10, 01:25 AM
Dunno, maybe parking curbs around where I live are consistently lower than elsewhere, but I've had less trouble from them with my V than any other performance car I've ever owned. Even my Bullitt Mustang was worse. My E500 (which is lowered), forget about it!

Aron9000
07-19-10, 02:34 AM

In my opinion, you should ONLY back into a parking space if you feel your exit might be accompanied by a hail of bullets and you'll need to make a quick getaway. Or, in your garage it's OK, but ONLY if you think the FBI might raid your place and you'll need to make a door-splintering launch out of the garage to get away (hail of bullets optional).

WOW!!!!

So I guess I'm a super-dooper toolbag since I park out in the back and pull through the aisle to face out on the other side. Thus eliminating any hazards of backing into the aisle and not seeing somebody flying up on me. Especially when you drive a whale of a car like mine, its easier to not try and bust the hymen of a tight parking spot.

Gary Wells
07-19-10, 05:48 AM

Everybody in your part of the country heads into parking spaces at car shows & car cruises, huh? Their own driveway too? Evidently you are not in snow country or climate challenged (read cold, icy, adverse driving & parking conditions weather) country where it snows & ices up the rear glass.
Ever thought of going to work for the government when you grow up? No, not ours. Theirs. I hear that "Boy's Life" is looking for a few good writers.
Have a great day, sir.

neuronbob
07-19-10, 07:45 AM
I guess I'm a douche and tool, too. Except at the grocery store, I always back in. My car is backed into my parking space at work right now. I do it because when driving my previous FWD cars during the winter it was easier for me to drive straight out a parking space than to back in.....and I did it for so long that it's now just a daily habit. Been doing it for 15 years. Sorry to offend with my douchebaggery. :)

Submariner409
07-19-10, 07:55 AM
............and from down in the Seville cellar; You V-guys aren't alone in the stop block department. 99% of the damn things are at exactly the right height to take out part of the Seville bumper lower cover, fog lights, and ding the front of the drivetrain cradle.

As others posted, you learn to stop short........or pay.

Kadonny
07-19-10, 08:29 AM
I'll confess, I have already replaced the lower plastic trim pieces once and have a severely scraped up piece again. The problem here is you can't always back into spots and our curbs (not parking stops) are not universally high. I always get scared if I don't pull in far enough, the ass end of my car sticks out.

My theory, I'd rather replace a $ 200 piece on the front once a year than risk having my rear end clobbered by some ditzy driver.

Domsz06
07-19-10, 10:28 AM
I'll confess, I have already replaced the lower plastic trim pieces once and have a severely scraped up piece again. The problem here is you can't always back into spots and our curbs (not parking stops) are not universally high. I always get scared if I don't pull in far enough, the ass end of my car sticks out.

My theory, I'd rather replace a $ 200 piece on the front once a year than risk having my rear end clobbered by some ditzy driver.

could you tell me where you got those black plastic pieces? The previous owner of my v hit them and they are starting to fall down :(

Thanks.

cdog533
07-19-10, 12:10 PM
Guys, my post about the backing in was kind of tongue in cheek humor.

And for the record I CAN'T back up worth a damn. I have trouble backing out of my driveway much less backing into a parking spot. That being said, in 25 years, I've never had a good reason to back into a spot with the exception (well noted by others) of car shows.

Mike 09 V
07-19-10, 12:56 PM
God I hate to join in this discussion but I must. My 69 Boss 302 and my 79 Z-28 both were low slung and had the same problems as the V with the spoilers. That's the way it is. As far as the backing in business, if you live in Arizona like I do, the direction you park is directly related to the time of day and where the sun is or is going to be while you are parked. So backing in is a necessity if you want to be able to sit on your seats or touch your steering wheel. I do not think it is gay at all.
Mike ( a cool tool!)

BeagleBrains
07-19-10, 01:10 PM
Guys, my post ... .. was .. tongue in cheek humor.

And .. .. I have trouble backing ..... with the exception (well noted by others) of car shows.
Apologies.
I regret trying to get my wife to back into the garage. I had placed our upright freezer against the inboard wall. After about 6 times using it for her "sound driver" technique to measure the limits (hearing the sound of an impact), I moved the Chest Freezer to the basement utility room. For some reason, she cringes at the term "Chest Freezer!" :rolleyes:
Thanks for our courteous response.

cmann_97
07-19-10, 01:34 PM
This car is pretty long....compared to my E46 M3. So, if you are parking away from the curb far enough to safe, the rear end has got to be jutting out in somebody's way.

Front mounted camera with small separate screen that fits into console....read a post or two from V owners that have that and are happy with it. Sounds like a great solution......now if I could get some details on how to do it.

Kadonny
07-19-10, 04:24 PM
could you tell me where you got those black plastic pieces? The previous owner of my v hit them and they are starting to fall down :(

Thanks.

Get them from a Caddy dealer. The entire package will run you around $ 200 or so which gives you all 3 chin trim pieces plus the mounting hardware.

Domsz06
07-19-10, 04:47 PM
Get them from a Caddy dealer. The entire package will run you around $ 200 or so which gives you all 3 chin trim pieces plus the mounting hardware.
Thanks for the info. I'll look into it.

Tony407
07-19-10, 04:51 PM
Front mounted camera with small separate screen that fits into console....read a post or two from V owners that have that and are happy with it. Sounds like a great solution......now if I could get some details on how to do it.

I just posted a link to a thread in which I did a write-up on my front and rear cameras. It's a few pages back.

Tony

GMX322V S/C
07-20-10, 01:13 AM

Actually, about $120 delivered would be a good price. Give Luke at Lindsay Cadillac a call.

Domsz06
07-20-10, 08:14 AM
thanks I'll give Luke a call.

CVP33
07-20-10, 10:11 PM
New aftermarket add-on seems to help with the CTS-V design flaw.

http://www.ipmc.cnrs.fr/~duprat/neurophysiology/images/brain2.jpg

For the record. My wife drove my car up on a parking curb. When she pulled out she said she "heard a noise". "Noise" continued during the ride home - 5 miles. She ripped the entire front end off my car and of course dragged it the 5 miles to our home. God I miss that woman.

Domsz06
07-21-10, 07:54 AM
New aftermarket add-on seems to help with the CTS-V design flaw.

http://www.ipmc.cnrs.fr/~duprat/neurophysiology/images/brain2.jpg

For the record. My wife drove my car up on a parking curb. When she pulled out she said she "heard a noise". "Noise" continued during the ride home - 5 miles. She ripped the entire front end off my car and of course dragged it the 5 miles to our home. God I miss that woman.
lol ;)

Cub Cadet
07-21-10, 08:15 AM

I paid $138.76 out the door at my local Caddy dealership - where I bought my car. So, I have a roughed up passenger side piece available if anyone wants it for something, and a new center piece to unload if anyone wants it. I sold the new driver's side piece yesterday that I didn't need :)
I am not looking to make money... just trying to help anyone out that I can since you can't buy this in pieces.

After looking at the car without the trim piece, I think it may actually look better without them even on the car. It gives the front a smoother look.

Domsz06
07-21-10, 09:35 AM
I paid $138.76 out the door at my local Caddy dealership - where I bought my car. So, I have a roughed up passenger side piece available if anyone wants it for something, and a new center piece to unload if anyone wants it. I sold the new driver's side piece yesterday that I didn't need :)
I am not looking to make money... just trying to help anyone out that I can since you can't buy this in pieces.

After looking at the car without the trim piece, I think it may actually look better without them even on the car. It gives the front a smoother look.
darn.... I have to get the passenger side too lol...

Oh well I'll pick one up in a bit..

ledfut
07-29-10, 03:50 PM
I am challenged in reckoning the proximity of the front end to the curb, but improving. Instead of a backup camera, it needs a front end camera!
I have a friend I visit occasionally whose driveway it's impossible to enter/exit without scraping. I get complaints from parking on the street, but oh well! I wouldn't change anything (thinking about the camera though).