drewsdeville
07-16-10, 12:03 PM
http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,533803,00.html

Jesda
07-16-10, 12:09 PM
http://www.rockin-r.com/images/rockin-r.jpg

Jesda
07-16-10, 12:10 PM
http://www.lotustalk.com/forums/attachments/f157/74134d1203396924-underwater-lotus-elise-e_elmo.gif

Jesda
07-16-10, 12:10 PM
http://etc.usf.edu/clipart/5000/5090/p_104_lg.gif

Jesda
07-16-10, 12:11 PM
http://www.o-crap.org/images/o-crap-with-hand.jpg

Jesda
http://www.teppichlandberlin.de/Portals/1/1/Bilder/service/341px-S-Bahn-Logo_svg.png

Jesda
http://blogs.fayobserver.com/blogs.fayobserver.com/files/5e/5ed965f7-8c5b-40b0-b860-d213c289a70b.jpg

I hope she lives a long, long time. :)

drewsdeville
07-16-10, 12:24 PM
:postwhore3:

But creative, nice.

93DevilleUSMC
07-16-10, 09:26 PM
Makes my 205K Deville feel like a slightly used car sitting on a dealer's lot. It also gives me a little hope of getting a long time out of her.

What a dedicated lady.

Sevillian273
07-16-10, 09:46 PM
LOL at the handgun she carries. Dont mess with granny.

Stingroo
07-17-10, 08:07 AM
LOL Jesda for epic win.

orconn
07-17-10, 01:36 PM
Didn't this lady with the Mercury and the side arm show up here before!

drewsdeville
07-17-10, 03:12 PM
See posts 2-7.

Probably would have made more sense to remove the thread...

SDCaddyLacky
07-17-10, 08:04 PM
They made em better back then, can't say that about too many new cars today.

Sevillian273
07-17-10, 10:21 PM
See posts 2-7.

Probably would have made more sense to remove the thread...

Nah... Post 2 thru 7 was some epic jibba jabba. :cool:

drewsdeville
07-18-10, 03:01 AM

Na, cars today have a better chance of doing this now than ever. The problem is they get wrecked before they ever get the chance. Most of the cars you see in a junkyard today had perfectly working drivetrains and suspensions when they met their death.

Aron9000
07-19-10, 02:56 AM

I wouldn't say that. I will say that cars back then were much simplier, cheaper to work on, easier to work on, and way, way easier to restore/refurbish the mechanicals. The car has 500,000 something miles on it, but granny has had the engine/trans/brakes, pretty much every mechanical part replaced/gone through at least twice.

I'll give the car quite a bit of credit though, it never fell apart and self destructed to where Granny dumped it for being an old POS. That's something that cannot be said of entry level domestic cars of the 70's/80's/90's/ or even today.

orconn
07-19-10, 05:37 PM
Any of the old and new cars can look great and hold up great if well cared for. My mother had a housekeeper in the 1970's that had a 1956 Chevrolet Bel Air two door coupe. She took excellent care of the car both mechanically and cosmetically. It was in great shape. One day she had an accident at my mother's house and couldn't drive so I drove her home. The '56 Bel Air was a stick shift no power steering or brakes. It drove beautifully, the upholstery was like new as was the exterior paint .... a beautiful twenty year old daily driver that the lady cared about and was willing to pay to keep in tip top shape. Those mid-fifties cars were not the well put together paragons of quality many young folks like to think they were (Google 1956 Cadillac Road Test and read owner complaints if you want to disabuse yourself of that myth). This lady was willing to put money and care into maintaing her beloved car regardless of the cost verses resale value formula.

I have known, over the years, so many cars that were well cared for and kept in excellent condition by their owners because they really liked the cars or had a sentimental attachment to them, that, so after I retired and no longer needed, for business purposes, a new car, I would also choose a car that I really liked and would maintain it in excellent condition, just because I really liked the way it looked and drove. I chose a fourth generation Seville as the car I wanted to keep. To me it is a luxury to keep my 15 year old Seville STS in great mechanical shape (keeping it in a garage for its' whole life has kept it in cosmetically beautiful shape) despite it costing potentially more than the car is worth .... it is one of the benefits being retired and being able to do what I really want with the time and money I have left.

When I look at a potential bill of $10,000., or more, to replace head gaskets, or the suspension on my old STS I just have to think "is there anything else I would enjoy driving more as a daily driver" and so far the answer is no!

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-20-10, 12:42 AM
When I worked at Southview Chevrolet, we had the coolest old guy for a customer. He was a retired teacher that ordered a pair of fully loaded '96 Caprice Classic Sedans in the fall of '96. His was dark cherry metallic with the tan interior and his wife's was green grey metallic with the grey interior. Both had the LT1's and his had slightly more miles than hers did. Anyways, these were truly his pride and joy and every time he'd come in, he'd work with the same service advisor and he ALWAYS had the same tech work on his car. I used to always talk with him about his Caprices and he'd wax poetic ad nauseam about them, and I'd always loved to listen. Anyways, whenever the cars needed anything, whether it be a $17 tail lamp or a $1300 exhaust system. He'd have us do it, and wouldn't hesitate to take his writer's advice and input. He kept those two Caprices in mint condition and even with 120k on them, the red one was cleaner than most cars that are 2-3 years old. I remember looking up his service invoices once over the last year and it looked as though he spent $3500 on one car and $2200 on another, just to keep them in mint condition. He would NOT trade up to anything newer and would not see those cars go.

drewsdeville
07-20-10, 01:46 AM
I remember looking up his service invoices once over the last year and it looked as though he spent $3500 on one car and $2200 on another

Wow...

Infactuated? Yes. Smart? Probably not...

Bro-Ham
07-20-10, 03:19 AM
Man those Caprices are expensive to maintain! That old guy will be sent to the death panel if obama hears about the $$$ he's spending on that car instead of supporting the poor people.

Orcon, I can see blowing ten thousand bux fixing a crazy cool old car like a Rolls-Royce because when you're done pouring your $$$ down the drain at least you still have a Rolls-Royce to tool around in. Plus, you have the added benefit of being able to brag to your friends about how far you can stretch the AMEX people to authorize the charges on your platinum card in this bad economy. I think you should use your $10k buy a mint low mileage 15 y.o. sts and give the extra $7g's to me. :)

Don't feel bad, I've been the victim of automotive insanity in my not too distant past and it makes me ever so thankful my old heap yellow 79 Cad is one of the last of the simple Cads. No computers, no insanely expensive mechanical bits, and no $10k repairs. On Friday my car was at the shop for a LOF and evaluation and got an estimate for repairs, some that I've been procrastinating on - tailpipe and resonator $120, frost plug $43, front shocks $98, and 4 new tires $321; prices include parts and labor to install, all of this will be done next week, although I'm considering milking a few thousand more miles out of the tires. Then the car is bound for a 1700 mile field trip up to the Frozen Tundra of Chad to visit my family and friends. My banana boat will likely be on the road much longer than any of us will live. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-20-10, 09:07 AM
Wow...

Infactuated? Yes. Smart? Probably not...

If my memory serves me right, both cars that year hit 100k, and in doing so, he did all the preventative maintenance....ALL the fluid flushes, including the rear differentials and fuel injection services, brakes on all four wheels, optispark and water pumps on both cars, etc etc. I think he had the tranny rebuilt on his DCM one as well. I can't remember all the issues that he had fixed on those cars that year, but that one year alone was an anomaly, as they hit 100k that year. Most other years were much quieter because he didn't do all the PM and have the transmission rebuilt.

But anyways, the point of this story is not how much money he spent on the car, but rather the fact that he was ready and willing to do whatever it takes to keep his cars operating and appearing in like new condition. This man is the closest I've met to the old lady in the story above for being the "true enthusiast for his car"

Stingroo
07-20-10, 12:37 PM
$3500 over 15 years isn't expensive either, Drew. :thumbsup:

drewsdeville
07-20-10, 02:15 PM
$3500 over 15 years isn't expensive either, Drew. :thumbsup:

It was $3500 over ONE year... He looked up invoices over the last year.

Bro-Ham
07-20-10, 03:06 PM
I guess that's one bullet proof Caprice, otherwise it's one customer the dealer knew they could over charge and the customer would thank them for the pleasure. As long as everyone is happy... I would be busy that day. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-20-10, 07:21 PM
He was one of our best customers. Most of the writers, and the technicians knew him on a first name basis. Actually, come to think of it, that technician was the only tech that the customer would let work on his Caprices. When we downsized and layed off that tech, he got a job at the Chevy dealer across town and the Caprice owner followed him over there. And that tech wasn't greedy at all, he did a lot of things for his favorite customers with deep discounts. So it's not like we were milking Mr. Caprice owner for all it was worth. A fair amount of the stuff he had repaired on that Caprice was trivial stuff that most people wouldn't give a crap about....like the molding on the left tail lamp was leaking, so it'd get water into the tail lamp, so he told us to replace the entire lamp, cost be damned.

That sort of mentality is really common to see with the people who bought Corvettes from us. It's their toy, their pride and joy and they want it running in the best condition. As a writer, we loved it because they weren't afraid to spend money as long as it made good sense. I remember diesel owners being the same way too, along with Suburban owners.

Bro-Ham
07-20-10, 09:22 PM
What about Regal owners? :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-21-10, 12:19 AM
Nowhere near Caprice owners. Fleetwood Brougham owners are the same sort. I've talked to a few people that work in parts/service at the local Cadillac dealer (Key) and they said that Fleetwood owners are a very picky sort of people. They'll pay what seems like insane amounts of money to keep their cars running and won't buy anything else.

Stingroo
07-21-10, 10:37 AM
I can vouch for that. My dad used to work at a Cadillac dealership in Massachusetts in 2002-2003. The FWB guys pretty much exclusively dealt with my dad, because he always gave them "the best" deals (read: raped them blind in a more discreet manner).

This one older guy was really cool though. He was so happy when they replaced his optispark that he took my dad and me out to lunch on his dime. He lived not too far from us, and frequently invited us over. Happy customers are the best customers.