: Question for anyone who has used one of Jake's stud kits....

zr1mark
07-16-10, 10:01 AM
How long should it take for a pretty seasoned mechanic to stud a Northstar engine while it's in the car. I know someone like Mike Lawson who does them all the time can probably zip one out in a reasonable amount of time, but how about if it's your first time ?

Any and all responses are appreciated !!!!

Mark

STSS
07-16-10, 10:27 AM
Good luck studding the rear bank with the engine in the car... do you plan a partial cradle drop?

zr1mark
07-16-10, 11:25 AM
I know there is a youtube video of Mike Lawson drilling the block with the engine in the car, so I was wondering how long it took other people...

STSS
07-16-10, 11:36 AM
The issue isn't drilling the block... that can be done by tilting the engine and using a 90 degree drill.... there's no room to get the head over the stud once it's installed in the block.... you might be able to assemble the studs into the heads and install the whole mess onto the block, then screw the studs into the block. I don't know if that's been done before, but I know it has been discussed.

Ranger
07-16-10, 10:10 PM
That sounds feasible. Secure them to the head with putty or duct tape. It would be interesting to know if that would work. Could potentially be a BIG time saver.

ibm4mad
07-20-10, 11:35 AM
I suppose you just hand-thread the studs to the block, right? If so I guess you really couldn't cross-thread by accident. That'd be my only concern when taping them to the head and trying to thread them with the head on the car.

Ranger
07-20-10, 11:50 AM
Yes, I think they are only hand tightened.

83CADMAN
07-20-10, 12:45 PM
I suppose you just hand-thread the studs to the block, right? If so I guess you really couldn't cross-thread by accident. That'd be my only concern when taping them to the head and trying to thread them with the head on the car.

I would say that the new tapped threads into the block would have to be very accurate. I have read in these forums about bending the studs slightly with a mallet in order to align the studs with the head during installation, (out of car).
The other issue is the head must be held off the block evenly a distance equal to the length of the threaded portion of the studs protruding from the head. This shimming would maintain alignment and allow the studs to be screwed into the block. Once the studs are seated the shims can be removed. Of coarse the gasket must be already in place on the head. I have been contemplating this method for sometime now for My 94 Concourse. Also I saw a thread in here where someone is trying to do exactly that.:thumbsup:

ejguillot
07-20-10, 12:57 PM
I've installed one of Jake's stud kits. If at all possible, drop the engine, the install will go faster and your chances of drilling a hole wrong are minimal (versus rather high with the engine in the car).

miwise
07-20-10, 04:02 PM
It's really quite easy dropping the engine. I bought a used pallet jack. It worked quite nice. Get u a pallet from walmart or somewhere. Not a big deal dropping the engine really. Jacked the car up and put it on concrete blocks to get it high enough to roll it out. Do it right the first time so u don't have to messwith it again.

97EldoCoupe
07-21-10, 12:02 PM
The rolled thread studs are working much nicer. Much smoother; stronger; and more concentric and straight. I've got another order coming in in two weeks; enough for 100 Northstars.

The studs are not torqued into the block; rather they are simply threaded in to 1/16" or so below the deck surface. All the tightening/torquing is done on top with the nuts.

I would advise lowering the cradle or pulling the engine. You'll be glad you did.

Take a look at Mike's videos of drilling in the car. Take note of what's getting covered with chips of aluminum; that shouldn't be. The alternator should have been covered up; the exhaust manifold should have been covered (catalytic converters have a honeycomb design that most of these chips will NOT pass through.) If you plan on doing it in the car; take a little extra time and cover this stuff up.