: NorthStar Owners might want to check..

porkfarm
07-16-10, 05:59 AM
My 2005 intake bolts where finger tight at 60K. Some are a pain to get to, but maybe check the front and rears and see if yours are also.. I would get a P0430 code every now and then.. maybe every other tank of gas. Engine was a bit rough after a long drive. (no codes ) All better now and no cost or dealer trip.

I also took off the Throttle body and wiped the back clean. 4 bolts.. quick and easy job. zero cost.

M.A.C
07-16-10, 12:15 PM
Recently someone else posted about intake bolts. I check mine and they all needed tightening. The driver's side rear was actually sticking up at least 3/8 inch. I used a socket, combination wrench, and crow foot to try to get at them. I think I'll buy a 1/4 inch socket set and one of those swivel adapters because the main problem is the fuel rail is in the way.

coati
07-16-10, 01:05 PM
It's best to use a 10mm "swivel-head" socket.
That way you can reach ALL the intake bolts as some of them are a little harder to reach and tighter in space.

D&Ds_STS
07-17-10, 08:39 AM
My 2005 intake bolts where finger tight at 60K. Some are a pain to get to, but maybe check the front and rears and see if yours are also..
This is apparently pretty common. When I took ours in at about 42k miles for a mis-fire/rough running issue, they had to tighten the intake manifold bolts. Also had to replace a coil bank and a spark plug.

Jsid7
07-17-10, 03:20 PM
Ive asked to have this problem stickied in another thread, with no luck. Anyone else think this should be stickied? I do.

JGarten
07-21-10, 09:21 PM
Ive asked to have this problem stickied in another thread, with no luck. Anyone else think this should be stickied? I do.

I second the sticky thread nomination. Checked mine this morning and SEVEN out of TEN were loose. Probably best to use a 1/4" socket set with a wobbly joint vs. 3/8" because it's tough (impossible?) to get under the fuel rails. There's one bolt in the middle on the driver's side that's IMPOSSIBLE to get to with any socket because of something on the fuel rail that pokes down - you'll need an open end wrench, small crescent wrench or mimi pliers of some sort to check/tighten it (mine was tight).

Midnight
07-22-10, 10:04 AM
Mine were loose too, some I could move with my bare fingers. I think it's just how the intake material (plastic) is, they're not very tight out of the factory, and after so many miles the bolts just loosen. I've heard the same thing for aluminum wheels and lug nuts, you're supposed to check them after 50mi, well this is kind of an extreme case of that. I haven't heard anyone mention they've lost a bolt yet though. This will probably become more commonly known as people's cars age.

A couple questions if anybody is in the know:

What's the actual torque spec for these?

Is there really a risk of cracking the intake if you tighten too much? Would you have to basically turn into a gorilla and go crazy with it, or is it easy to do?

Is there a tightening sequence that will make any difference? Should one possibly loosen them all first and tighten in a specific order, or does it not matter?

I think they should add a link to this thread in the existing "problems" sticky.

CTBB
08-03-10, 02:56 AM
Back to the top for torque spec? Anyone?

Glenn

sapien
08-05-10, 11:26 PM
the torque spec for the intake manifold bolts is 10 N-m (89 lb-in)

looking at the top of the engine from the driver's side, the tightening sequence is

8 - 4 - 1 - 5 - 9
[

7 - 3 - 2 - 6 - 10

CTBB
08-05-10, 11:44 PM
Ah! Thank you!! Plastic/nylon manifold says no Gorillas allowed!

Glenn

Midnight
08-06-10, 10:37 AM
Maybe just gentle ones? :)
Thanks for the sequence and specs, sapien.

handle0987
06-21-11, 10:09 PM
Just checked out my bolts after getting a p0300...
I found 7 out of 10 were finger tight at best.
Snugged them up but the car is still running like crap, when i can get it to start. The sad part is that there are only 28000 miles on the car... Nuts.

bbshriver
06-22-11, 04:42 PM
Would somone be kind enough to post a picture marking what bolts we're talking about? I'm 99% confident, but just want to be sure. I chased a random stalling problem on my car for ages before finally asking the dealer to check this, they did, and no more stalling.

jkharnage
06-22-11, 08:43 PM
Is it safe to use lock tight for these bolts? I would have thought the factory would assemble these engines with light or medium grade lock tight.

ahmaduhhs
10-10-12, 04:14 PM
jkharnage (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/member.php?u=85683) How did the lock-tight work out for you?

Is it safe to use lock tight for these bolts? I would have thought the factory would assemble these engines with light or medium grade lock tight.