: Transmission Issue?

jwall09
07-15-10, 11:34 PM
So over the past 45 days i have now had this issue happen twice. In between these two incidents the car ran perfect and nothing seems out of line so i am confused.

Heres the story - I was running W4M tune up to 45 days ago and one day when driving to work i took off from a stop sign close to home and the car felt like it was in 4th gear. It wouldnt shift up or down, no even in manual mode. I pulled over and put the car in park but it told me the car isnt in park so wouldnt shut down completely (and it really was in park). I read error codes and got a P0700, P1825. I erased codes thinking this may fix it and it CEL went away but car still said i wasnt in park. So i uploaded the stock tune... Fixed! Car ran perfect, stopped down shifting hard like it had been from time to time and just, well, ran really good for the past 45 days. Now yesterday i pull out of the drive way and when i shift from reverse to drive the car slammed into drive instantly and jerked the car forward. CEL of course and same issue as before... stuck in a gear and wont go to park. I pull over, erase codes and car works fine this time. Get to work and car still wont let me turn off because it said it wasnt in park (when it was). So uploaded W4M tune over stock tune and it fixed it.

What the hell could cause this so randomly and then have the car run so perfect in between?

PGA2B
07-16-10, 09:21 AM
So over the past 45 days i have now had this issue happen twice. In between these two incidents the car ran perfect and nothing seems out of line so i am confused.

Heres the story - I was running W4M tune up to 45 days ago and one day when driving to work i took off from a stop sign close to home and the car felt like it was in 4th gear. It wouldnt shift up or down, no even in manual mode. I pulled over and put the car in park but it told me the car isnt in park so wouldnt shut down completely (and it really was in park). I read error codes and got a P0700, P1825. I erased codes thinking this may fix it and it CEL went away but car still said i wasnt in park. So i uploaded the stock tune... Fixed! Car ran perfect, stopped down shifting hard like it had been from time to time and just, well, ran really good for the past 45 days. Now yesterday i pull out of the drive way and when i shift from reverse to drive the car slammed into drive instantly and jerked the car forward. CEL of course and same issue as before... stuck in a gear and wont go to park. I pull over, erase codes and car works fine this time. Get to work and car still wont let me turn off because it said it wasnt in park (when it was). So uploaded W4M tune over stock tune and it fixed it.

What the hell could cause this so randomly and then have the car run so perfect in between?

Your Neutral Safety Switch (Transmission Position Sensor) is going bad. Happened to me a couple of weeks ago and Superior Fixed it ( I am still under Factory Warranty).

But If you want me to (Test) your W4ME computer I would be more than willing too:thumbsup:

Bob Glenn
07-24-10, 11:40 AM
I had a similar issue back in June with no modification to the car (link to post below), had the car towed to the dealer late on Friday night, battery went dead due to the accessories staying on which seemed to correct the problem. The service team initially thought it was the battery (less than 10 volts causes issues) since they found no codes/issues. They charged the battery and test drove the car over 100 miles and could not replicate the issue. No issues identified so I had to split a 4 day car rental with the dealer.

The problem has not recurred but yesterday I noticed my transmission temperature seemed to be running higher than normal for daily driving. Since June I have been watching the temp and it usually stays between 155 and 180 degrees, yesterday was in the low 190s. Maybe I will get lucky and the problem will reoccur at 45 days so I can take the car back to the dealer.

Does anyone know the specs on the transmission temperature during normal driving, I am in Tampa, Florida where the ambient temperature is normally from 80 to 100 degrees? When the problem occurred (at night) my transmission was running hot with a temp of 207 degrees before I shut down the car.

Link ---> http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/202425-plausible-transmission-battery.html

Regards,

Bob

fast_lane10
07-28-10, 06:05 PM
Hi Bob -
After reading your post i watched transmission temp on my 07 and on freeway it was between 175 to 180 but in the city, stop and go traffic, it went up to 203 or so for some time and stayed in 190s for a while. Btw the temp outside was 90 or so. Now I am also interested in knowing normal temp range, did you find out more about it ?

Lavi

Bob Glenn
07-29-10, 06:04 PM
Hi Lavi, I did not find anything else about my transmission but waiting for it to act up again. It sucks wondering if I am going to breakdown as I usally drive across the state monthly. Hopefully the dealer will be open when it happens again (if not I will disconnect the battery for 15 minutes as that seems to reset what ever is bad) so they can diagnose the issue. I drive city and highway and rarely does the trans temp go up into the 190s. Maybe some others can watch the trans temp and provide us some feedback.

Regards,

Bob

fast_lane10
08-03-10, 08:32 PM
I watched the transmission temps again today and got the same readings , even though it was 10 degrees cooler outside.... temps climbed up to 204 or so on I-90/I-94 west (driving at 40 mph in traffic) and retreated to 175-180 only at 70 mph..in the city temps stayed around 190s. I am thinking of talking to my service advisor soon and see if the its a problem.. btw once in a while i feel as if the car is dying on me when i press the throttle..it mind me in mind so i will keep an eye on it too...

later
lavi