: Jumped ship. Went from iPhone 3G to Droid X. :)

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-10, 08:40 PM
So a few weeks ago, my iPhone's battery went to hell. I mean it had like 3 hours before it'd die, and that was after a full charge. So I did some research, tried out a few products, and really fell in love with the Droids. I wasn't going back to the iPhone because they don't make an externally accessible battery in their portable products and having been burned by that once before, I learned my lesson. So I bought the Droid X a few hours ago and now I've got a few questions:

First of all, it didn't get all my contacts from my iPhone, I guess some of them weren't on my simcard. How can I get them from my Macbook onto my Droid? Is there an easy way to move those onto there without having to go in and individually install them all onto the Droid, one by one?

How do I get all my songs on iTunes onto my Droid?

Thanks! I think I made a great decision. :)

Rolex
07-15-10, 08:57 PM
The wife just got me an iPhone 4 thingy. It's a HUGE improvement over my iPhone 3G. So far so good...no dropped calls, etc. Everyone in this house is a complete apple whore though: wife and I have iPhones, the kid uses my old iPhone for movies/games, we both have the original iPod minis to work out with, we both have the original iPod video things, a macbook, and a mac desktop. We may have single handedly boosted Apple's stock 10 points.

gary88
07-15-10, 08:59 PM
I'm sorry to hear this :cool:

OffThaHorseCEO
07-15-10, 09:03 PM
So a few weeks ago, my iPhone's battery went to hell. I mean it had like 3 hours before it'd die, and that was after a full charge. So I did some research, tried out a few products, and really fell in love with the Droids. I wasn't going back to the iPhone because they don't make an externally accessible battery in their portable products and having been burned by that once before, I learned my lesson. So I bought the Droid X a few hours ago and now I've got a few questions:

First of all, it didn't get all my contacts from my iPhone, I guess some of them weren't on my simcard. How can I get them from my Macbook onto my Droid? Is there an easy way to move those onto there without having to go in and individually install them all onto the Droid, one by one?

How do I get all my songs on iTunes onto my Droid?

Thanks! I think I made a great decision. :)

if you still have your iphone download google sync for the iphone (over wifi obviously)

sign in using the google account that youre using with the droid

follow these instructions on your iphone
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

the droid should automatically take care of the rest as long as you sign into google sync with the same username as you set up on the droid

as for your music
http://www.motorola.com/Consumers/US-EN/Consumer-Product-and-Services/Software/Motorola-Media-Link-US-EN

specifically lists itunes

hueterm
07-15-10, 09:08 PM
Congrats -- LOVE Moto!

bjv
07-15-10, 09:13 PM
I went pretty much the opposite direction. I gave up on my Samsung Epix WM6.1 phone and bought a new iPhone 4.

I'm a confirmed PC guy, and I have 4 PC's that I use regularly, but now I'm going to buy a Mac Mini so I can develop apps for my iphone. Depending on how that goes I might even buy an ipad.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-15-10, 09:36 PM
if you still have your iphone download google sync for the iphone (over wifi obviously)

sign in using the google account that youre using with the droid

follow these instructions on your iphone
http://www.google.com/support/mobile/bin/answer.py?answer=138740&topic=14252

the droid should automatically take care of the rest as long as you sign into google sync with the same username as you set up on the droid

OK, I did all of that, but how long will it take now for the Droid to sync?

nikon
07-15-10, 09:36 PM
And if your an uber nerd check out this website, tons of tips and tricks

http://androidforums.com/

And follow ceo's instructions...a lost phone is never a problem anymore just type in your gmail email address and your all synced up again.

btw how does that thing fit in your pocket? The screen is huge! I thought my droid incredible had a big screen and it's ~3.7in yours is 4.3!

iowasevillests
07-15-10, 09:44 PM
I'm waiting till the rumored Droid 2 becomes official and out in stores before I make the jump from my Blackberry to Droid but will be interested to see what you think of yours after a bit more time to play, I mean use :)

ejguillot
07-16-10, 03:09 PM
Chad,

You better leave you Droid X completely stock, or it will literally blow a fuse and stop working:

http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2010/07/14/droid-x-actually-self-destructs-if-you-try-to-mod-it/

I have a 3GS, and plan to put in a new battery in a few weeks (battery cost: $20. And the phone isn't that hard to open up.)

nikon
07-16-10, 03:17 PM
^^ you don't have to leave it stock, not by a long shot. It just means no custom roms (yet). There is a root available for my droid incredible, I don't see the point. I can install programs off torrent sites, tether for free with pdanet and do everything else the phone does. Currently rooting will give you wifi hotspot capabilities, but thats built into android 2.2 and the next update the phone gets.....The andoid doesn't have to be rooted/jailbroken to enjoy the phone and put as much crap on it you want....Even installing different home screens, such as sense or the other ones available on the market don't require hacking the phone....so I say enjoy your new phone.

Jesda
07-16-10, 03:26 PM
I'm perplexed by the obsession Android guys have with mods. I just want to turn it on and use it. Its a "thing that does stuff" to me, not a piece of art or form of expression, like a car can be.

Droid X looks nice though.

OffThaHorseCEO
07-16-10, 03:33 PM
I'm perplexed by the obsession Android guys have with mods. I just want to turn it on and use it. Its a "thing that does stuff" to me, not a piece of art or form of expression, like a car can be.

Droid X looks nice though.

to alot of people, a phone is an extension of their computer. people overclock their pc processors, theme and skin their pcs and mod those to hell and for what. same thing with phones. i know people have mentioned overclocking the android, themes and other things like that

Jesda
07-16-10, 03:37 PM
I guess this makes Android the first cell phone OS for the "liquid cooled PC" crowd, which is kind of neat.

Me, I got a generic box, installed OS X, dug up the drivers I needed, and called it good. If it ever gets slow, I'll give it to Goodwill and buy another. My PCs tend to get very dusty because I never crack them open anymore. Same goes for my Blackberry. I installed the 4 or 5 programs I use frequently and never messed with it beyond that.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-16-10, 05:19 PM
to alot of people, a phone is an extension of their computer. people overclock their pc processors, theme and skin their pcs and mod those to hell and for what. same thing with phones. i know people have mentioned overclocking the android, themes and other things like that

I don't think I'll have to ever worry about doing any of that. I'm like Jesda, I just want something that works smoothly and easily. That's why I like Mac's operating systems so much, they're a no-brainer. But I could see how a real geek won't like that as much....there's not as much stuff to modify and personalize. I can't believe how many more menus and personalization options the Droid has over the iPhone!

Oh and I was going to download that program from Motorola so I could put iTunes on the new phone, but that program only works on PC's. I have a Macbook, is there a similar program?

Eric Kahn
07-16-10, 08:12 PM
ordered a droid x, supposed to show up tomorrow, then the fun begins, never had a smart phone before, maybe I should have looked at the forums first, since I am a verizon customer, the Iphone was not an option

OffThaHorseCEO
07-16-10, 09:23 PM
I don't think I'll have to ever worry about doing any of that. I'm like Jesda, I just want something that works smoothly and easily. That's why I like Mac's operating systems so much, they're a no-brainer. But I could see how a real geek won't like that as much....there's not as much stuff to modify and personalize. I can't believe how many more menus and personalization options the Droid has over the iPhone!

to be honest i WAS the the guy who would update to a beta OS as soon as it came out, just to try it out, i USED TO download any app, just to see what it was like, used to have tons of apps on my phone, and mod it to hell. lately though, im a calls,txts, emails and music kinda guy. no need for mods and i think i have like 3 apps that i use regularly

Oh and I was going to download that program from Motorola so I could put iTunes on the new phone, but that program only works on PC's. I have a Macbook, is there a similar program?

sorry i forgot not everyone is a pc user haha
try this its called the missing sync for android: http://markspace.com/products/android/missing-sync-android.html

i havent tried it so i cant vouch for it. but it listed itunes as well.
i just realized the first one is $40 so,heres another option : http://salling.com/MediaSync/mac/

I~LUV~Caddys8792
07-18-10, 07:32 PM
Thanks! What's a quick way to move all my pictures from my Droid to my Computer?

DILLIGAF
07-18-10, 10:21 PM
I love my new droid x!
Everything went straight over from my Blackberry,I am an app down loading fool!
We bought 2 for $500 with a $100 rebate,same as our curves 2 years ago.
It is sooo cool

OffThaHorseCEO
07-19-10, 09:39 AM
Thanks! What's a quick way to move all my pictures from my Droid to my Computer?

you should be able to turn on mass storage mode. which makes the droid act like a flash drive. from there, drag and drop or do whatever the macbook equivalent to drag and drop is

thebigjimsho
08-07-10, 11:17 AM
Just got my Evo on Thursday and it is AMAZING. I've used an iPhone and I like the Evo much better. It is much more versatile.

noahsdad
08-07-10, 02:48 PM
Some people don't like the "gated community" closed feel of Apple and the iPhone, opting instead for the open source free-market of Android Marketplace. If you like spending hours messing with your phone, that's fine I guess. However, everyone who uses Android needs to exercise caution. The marketplace is totally open to any developer, and no one is vetting software. That means every form of lowlife ID thief is writing apps that will hack your info, and you'll not know until it's too late.

nikon
08-07-10, 06:45 PM
^^ actually you'll know before you install, anytime you install an app it tells you what functions of the phone the app will use. If you download a wallpaper app and it says it needs gps/contacts/sd card access. You probably shouldn't install it. Not only that, everybody rates and comments on apps so you know whats good/bad.

Besides, apple had a flashlight app that enabled tethering...you really think they're checking every app? no.

noahsdad
08-08-10, 07:55 AM
True, but as a former Linux developer and user (for 6 years), I know all too well how easy it is to circumvent the warning flag process, and game the rating system. The bad guys can't believe how easy Google is making it for them to own you. Not saying it will ever happen to you personally, but I'll take my gated, guarded community over the wild west any day.
And yes, Apple is watching. Developers have to send all source code, and the process takes several weeks, even for a stupid flashlight or fart app. It takes almost as long to get updates approved. If one or two bad ones slip through, out of a hundred thousand plus, is pretty fair odds.

Playdrv4me
08-08-10, 09:19 AM
I have absolutely no desire to "hack" my phone for anything other than practical reasons. I did it to my Palm Pre to get tethering, and I'll jailbreak my iPhone 4 for the same reason. I have not yet picked up my iPhone (waiting for me at ATT store) but after playing with a friend's Evo 4G I can honestly say it would have to be pretty bad to make me get an Android device.

thebigjimsho
08-08-10, 06:13 PM
laughable.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
08-08-10, 06:23 PM
iPhones that aren't jail-broke feel so "cookie cutter". It's kinda like a giant subdivision in the suburbs, where you can have x,y or z house blueprint to build off of, but then you can customize it so it doesn't look exactly alike, but you can still see the similarities. iPhones are a lot like that too, with different covers and different applications, but since Apple is so "closed doors" about the apps and systems they let you use, you'll never see the customization options like you would in an Android.

That being said, I do fully enjoy and use my old iPhone as an iTouch now, and I use my really old iPod in the van now for work. I really also enjoy my MacBook, and would look to buy Apple again in the future as far as computers go.

Playdrv4me
08-08-10, 08:50 PM
iPhones that aren't jail-broke feel so "cookie cutter". It's kinda like a giant subdivision in the suburbs, where you can have x,y or z house blueprint to build off of, but then you can customize it so it doesn't look exactly alike, but you can still see the similarities. iPhones are a lot like that too, with different covers and different applications, but since Apple is so "closed doors" about the apps and systems they let you use, you'll never see the customization options like you would in an Android.

That being said, I do fully enjoy and use my old iPhone as an iTouch now, and I use my really old iPod in the van now for work. I really also enjoy my MacBook, and would look to buy Apple again in the future as far as computers go.

That's kind of my point. Back in my hackz0r days I would have thoroughly enjoyed the Android O/S. Now I just want something fairly reliable, simple to use, fast and with a near perfect web browser with smooth operation. The iPhone does all of that and if I absolutely need to go "across the tracks" to get a must have application, Cydia is there for me. I have no desire however, to hang out on that side of town on a day to day basis.

For most people however, Android is a great thing. What we are seeing is the same thing we saw with the rise of the PC in the late 1980s and early 1990s. Android brings a universal operating system for mobile use to the masses, and an entire world of developers and compatibilities along with it. My needs are really simple though, and the iPhone (which I don't even use for music, I have a separate iPod Nano for that) gives me the best parts of a smart phone, with an easy to utilize actual phone. It also fulfills my desires for sexy hardware and love of advanced screen technology with that ultra high resolution IPS display. If I didn't get the iPhone, the next phone on my list still wouldn't be an Android device, but rather the new Blackberry Torch with its new Webkit enabled browser (FINALLY!). It has a similar "KISS - Keep it Simple Stupid" approach to the way things work.

The Samsung Galaxy S will have one killer AMOLED display though...