: 2001 Deville 224,000 mi.

gramps63
07-15-10, 02:14 PM
My Deville had the water pump seize up, it tore the drive belt apart. I'm trying to get information about changing it in the simplest manner possible, (not taking everything apart, hopefully.). How does the pump drive pulley stay in place? There seems to be no visible means of lock up to the cam drive shaft.

Thanks Gramps63

Submariner409
07-15-10, 05:40 PM
The drive pulley is pressed onto the end of the front intake cam snout. There may be a black plastic thread protector screwed into the cam threads. If you go online or to a NAPA and get a generic Power Steering Pulley removal kit it will do the job - that drive pulley is TIGHT and to get it off is a touchy job. It can be installed by using a stack of greased washers and a proper sized nut and bolt. If the main drive pulley is not messed up, leave it alone !!!

The belt is actually tensioned by a spring-loaded tensioner, so if the main drive pulley is OK, don't fool with it - the belt and tensioner can be removed with a bit of tinkering - the steel shroud has to come off first. The tensioner arm has a 1/4" socket hole in it - use a small socket breaker bar to lever the arm against the spring tension - the tensioner pulleys seize after a lot of miles.

The water pump itself comes out with 75 ft/lb of torque on a special socket (rent from a large parts store) - turn clockwise 30 degrees to unlock the pump capsule. Align the correct pump tangs with the crossover cavity tangs and lock it back in with 75 ft/lb of torque in a counter-clockwise direction.

Ranger
07-15-10, 11:10 PM
I would bet it was the tensioner pulley that seized.

ibm4mad
07-20-10, 11:41 AM
224,000 mi. You had a seized water pump and some crankshaft position sensor issues (from your post history). Any other issues with the vehicle since you've had it? I'm curious, because that's a lot of miles.

gramps63
07-21-10, 04:08 AM
So far I've had to replace the rear spark module, about a year ago, and the starter, about two and a half years ago. Oh yea, the windows have needed new actuators over the last three years.

Stingroo
07-21-10, 07:37 AM
Wow looks like you're getting a GREAT run from your Cadillac. :) Good luck fixing.

I saw the title and the sadface emoticon and expected the worst. Turn your frown upside down, good sir. :thumbsup:

tateos
07-21-10, 07:25 PM
I agree with Stingroo, and also Ranger and Sub, and Sub is correct that to remove it you turn it CLOCKWISE, but in my experience, to remove it will take a hell of a lot more than 75 ft. lbs to break it loose - probably 2-3 times that, or an impact wrench! As far as the install torque, I think the spec given is either 73 or 75 ft. lbs., but I think the real goal is to tighten it until the tangs bottom out