: Hey Guys, new here, looking for thoughts and advice on possible STS purchase

sdmfer
07-15-10, 10:21 AM
Hey everyone, first time here. I havent had a chance to dig through all the great info here, but definately will get started as soon as I make this post.

Anyways, here's a rundown of may possible plans and questions I have...

I currently commute to work and back total of approx 160 kms (100 miles) daily, not stop and go traffic pretty much moving the whole way. I have been driving a Jetta TDI Diesel for the last 6 years. But getting tired of the small space. (used to have a 97 STS before that).

Last night I went and checked out an 08 CTS which look awesome and are very nice, but jesus, the interior room is not really any bigger than my jetta. Then I moved over one car and sat in an 05 STS. My thoughts on the interior=Perfect! Everything (steering wheel, seat position etc, is right where I want it). Im not a big guy either, just like to have some room. (5'10-5'11, 185-190lbs etc....depending on how much beer I drink that week)

Anyways, without babbling on too much here are my questions.
- Which year would you guys recommend for a used STS without getting into too much $$$. I like the 08+ but is there really that big of a difference from the 05-07's?
- What kind of HWY fuel mileage are you guys getting with the 6 banger?
- should I try and find one with the direct injection?
- looking also for something with built in navi and bluetooth and the most if not all the bells and whistles.
- any major issues i need to worry about sine I will be commuting in this car?
- would also like to run regular gas if thats ok.
- any major items to look at or pay more attention to when looking at used ones?
- any other advice?

Im sure I have more, but I will also continue searching around this forum. Thanks very much in advance for any tips, help, advice etc.

SDMF

next2pool
07-15-10, 11:49 AM
If it's within your budget, I'd pop for a 2008 or later direct injection V6. Although the previous V6 is no slouch the DI is definitely much better. Plus the 08's recieved the new fascias and grilles and some nice interior upgrades. By that time you could get most of the desireable options on V6's as well.

KRSTS
07-16-10, 02:59 PM
If it's within your budget, I'd pop for a 2008 or later direct injection V6. Although the previous V6 is no slouch the DI is definitely much better. Plus the 08's recieved the new fascias and grilles and some nice interior upgrades. By that time you could get most of the desireable options on V6's as well.

I agree. I have an 08 V6 DI that I bought as a CPO in 08 and I have never looked back. I get 21-22 mixed and 29 HWY on regular. Plenty of power also. Make sure you get a CPO.:bouncy:

EChas3
07-16-10, 07:23 PM
Be sure to inspect & test drive your prospective purchase thoroughly. There can be a lot of differences between trim levels. Older V-6's weren't available with some of the higher-end options.

D&Ds_STS
07-17-10, 09:12 AM
We had a '04 CTS. It was a nice car, but a bit cramped. The STS suits us better. I have not driven a V6 DI, but all I have heard is they run very well, with good performance. I'm a throwback to the 60's muscle cars and just prefer a V8.
Using regular gas - I do not know what is recommended for V6 DI. If the manual REQUIRES premium - DO IT. If the manual recommends premium, but regular is acceptable, chose between saving some on gas and giving up some performance, vs. using premium and getting most performance possible. All these engines will cut timing advance and reduce power when sensors detect spark knock. Don't know for sure how much, but would guess 3 to 5%. Original owner ran regular in the STS. When we bought it, I switched to premium and there is a noticeable difference in performance. Took a few tanks of gas, and some WOT runs to get it to recalibrate. You will gets lots of different opinions on this.
Styling differences - we preferred the older style without the fender vents. Ours is light platinum, so the silver painted grill looks fine. Others prefer the newer style with vents, updated fascia and grill.
Most important - CPO! Do not buy without CPO!

Loren
07-17-10, 11:42 AM
I have the 08 STS with the 1SG option, it was a previous Avis lease vehicle. So far the only problem I've had was the remote door unlocking system, actually it was out when I bought it. It has the 3.6ltr DI engine and I love it, plenty of power, that baby will hit 100 mph with no problem at all real fast like. It handles like a sports car while having plenty of room and good ride too. I'm in southern Utah and have driven it to Sacramento CA twice and averaged around 29mpg both times over 1800 miles round trip, hitting 31 on one tank driving the speed limit, which is difficult in a car with that much power. I found a site that has a load of them, STS's, all over the country, if one is near you check it out. http://www.usedcarsplus.com/usedcars/09-use/2008/cadillac/sts/index.html
Best of luck to you, you'll love it.

EChas3
07-17-10, 12:06 PM
Can't be a 1SG with a 3.6DI unless someone swapped engines!

Avis could have a special build but it would then be a 1SC with special RPO codes.

sdmfer
07-18-10, 03:18 PM
Hi everyone. thanks a lot for the feedback thus far. Whats a "CPO" Im in canada so I dont know if thats a US specific etc. Are you referring to "certified pre-owned"?

Also, was a HeadsUp Display ever an option for the 05-current gen STS? I used to love that back when I had a GTP

Loren
07-18-10, 03:44 PM
EChaz, You are correct, I hit the wrong key, should be 1SB, thanks for the keen eye!
1SB - 1SB LUXURY PACKAGE: * MULTI-DRIVER MEMORY SETTINGS * POWER LUMBAR, FRONT * HEATED/VENTILATED FRONT SEATS * HEATED REAR OUTBOARD SEATS * HEATED AND LEATHER WRAPPED STEERING WHEEL * SAPELE WOOD TRIM ON CENTER STACK, CONSOLE, SHIFT KNOB, INSTRUMENT PANEL, DOOR TRIM AND STEERING WHEEL * AM/FM STEREO, 6 DISC CD CHANGER, BOSE SPEAKER SYSTEM (REPLACES STD/OPT RADIO) * RAINSENSE WINDSHIELD WIPERS * UNIVERSAL HOME REMOTE * CONVENIENCE NET, CARGO

CadillacSTS42005
07-18-10, 03:46 PM
HUD was an option but rare, on early years it also required adaptive cruise control.
Yes CPO is certified pre owned

sdmfer
07-18-10, 04:11 PM
Ok thanks now I just have to find a 08+ V6 without AWD lol. After some quick calculations, I will be spending about 140 bucks more a month in fuel if I get rid of the VW Jetta.

Im trying to find ways to justify the additional cost.lol

I just hope the caddy will be in for the long haul since I put a lot of miles. Oil spray/rust proof would be the 1st thing I do this time around.

Maybe 140 bucks more a month would be worth it just for the added comfort alone....;)

Giddy
07-18-10, 06:31 PM
I just imported an 08 STS from the US to Canada. I am not sure where in Canada you are, but you should either save money or get more for your money south of the border. GG

sdmfer
07-18-10, 07:59 PM
good advice, i was thinking that as well. Im in Barrie ontario

ddgm
07-18-10, 08:54 PM
These things are a handfull in the snow. You should really, really think about this aspect because of where you are. I have no complaints about mine, but I didn't have far to go to work. Anyway if you decide to go with the STS, consider AWD, although that will impact your mileage somewhat but you can always go with Blizzacks for the winter. I'm in Hamilton, Ontario, retiring in August and spending the winters at our place in Florida, so no more snow.

Doug

jimmbo
07-19-10, 03:09 AM
These things are a handfull in the snow. You should really, really think about this aspect because of where you are. I have no complaints about mine, but I didn't have far to go to work. Anyway if you decide to go with the STS, consider AWD, although that will impact your mileage somewhat but you can always go with Blizzacks for the winter. I'm in Hamilton, Ontario, retiring in August and spending the winters at our place in Florida, so no more snow.

Doug

With Blizzacks it is no worse in the snow than any other Rear Wheel Drive car. Execpt for the lack of clearance. I found any contact with ice or hard packed snow on the bumper cover seems to cause damage to the front fender. Happened twice last winter. If you can, arrange for a very long test drive. Try it on roads that have cracks in the surface an also ones that have been repaired. This thing rides like an ox cart with wooden wheels and no springs. My friends Vette rides softer

Giddy
07-19-10, 09:03 AM
good advice, i was thinking that as well. Im in Barrie ontario

I am in Burlington. One thing you will find is there are not a lot of STS`s to look at in Ontario. I test drove a 2008 AWD base STS with Nav, but no sunroof and 45K kms that the dealer was asking $42,000 for.

I bought a 2008 STS AWD with ISG and 9,500 miles for $33,000 US. It cost me about $1,000 extra for the import process and the 13% taxes. I am really pleased with is so far, but I have only has it a week. You can find them in the $20`s if you will go for a base model and a little more mileage.

sdmfer
07-20-10, 12:43 PM
perhaps I should figure out a way to do the same. How did you find the overall experience? Just a few quick questions...

- did you go test drive, then buy then drive home?
- how does financing work when buying from the US? Would I need to pay cash or is there some place that will take care of financing etc?

Thanks

Giddy
07-20-10, 06:11 PM
I had my car looked at by someone else before I committed. I sent my money through www.escrow.com. They notified the seller when funds had cleared from Canada. Then I flew to New York, checked the car out myself and then I notified Escrow that they could release the funds to the seller. If i didn't like what I saw I could have canceled the deal through Escrow and they would have returned my funds to me. It worked very well for our deal and the extra cost was piece of mind for me and the seller.

I think you will have to arrange funds to pay for the car on the Canadian side before committing to the purchase. I don't think a US based lender will lend to a Canadian for an asset that is to be located in Canada.

next2pool
07-20-10, 06:24 PM
I had my car looked at by someone else before I committed. I sent my money through www.escrow.com. They notified the seller when funds had cleared from Canada. Then I flew to New York, checked the car out myself and then I notified Escrow that they could release the funds to the seller. If i didn't like what I saw I could have canceled the deal through Escrow and they would have returned my funds to me. It worked very well for our deal and the extra cost was piece of mind for me and the seller.

I think you will have to arrange funds to pay for the car on the Canadian side before committing to the purchase. I don't think a US based lender will lend to a Canadian for an asset that is to be located in Canada.

That's an interesting service--never heard of that before.

sdmfer
07-20-10, 06:49 PM
very interesting. ...thanks for the reply ;)

jimmbo
07-20-10, 09:41 PM
Do the US models of these cars have Daytime Running Lights? If they don't they will have to have it added before it can be registered in Canada. An engine heater might not be on a US car.

EChas3
07-20-10, 10:12 PM
Do the US models of these cars have Daytime Running Lights? If they don't they will have to have it added before it can be registered in Canada. An engine heater might not be on a US car.

I think the block heater is one of the few easily added options. The US cars' DRL's are the secondary/parking lights in yellow. If you leave the rain-sense wipers on, the headlights will stay on instead of the yellow DRL's.

Other members report that some options can be set using a Tech II GM tool. These options may help meet your requirements.

Giddy
07-21-10, 05:55 AM
That's an interesting service--never heard of that before.

Nether had I before, but it worked perfect for my car purchase and was recommended by the seller of my car. Hard to beat something that works for both sides. :)

Giddy
07-21-10, 05:58 AM
I think the block heater is one of the few easily added options. The US cars' DRL's are the secondary/parking lights in yellow. If you leave the rain-sense wipers on, the headlights will stay on instead of the yellow DRL's.

Other members report that some options can be set using a Tech II GM tool. These options may help meet your requirements.

My car passed CTC inspection with no modifications.