: screwed up big time - need a coolant crossover

jblivingston3
07-15-10, 11:08 AM
Was doing the water pump on my 99 Deville. Turned it the wrong way trying to get it out and snapped off some of the retaining lugs. Does anyone have a coolant crossover they can sell me, assuming I ever get the current one out. It has what looks to be a part number on it: 12553133.

If not, the number of a suicide assistance center in the Mid-Atlantic region would be appreciated.

John

97EldoCoupe
07-15-10, 11:56 AM
1-800-0-help-me

97EldoCoupe
07-15-10, 11:57 AM
LOL had to add that -

I've got a full skid of used ones, in good condition.

info@northstarperformance.com

-Jake

tateos
07-16-10, 05:24 PM
You broke off the aluminum, or bent the stamped steel lugs on the water pump?

miwise
07-17-10, 12:20 AM
I have an extra one. U can have it. Just pm me

97EldoCoupe
07-20-10, 07:51 AM
jblivingston3 - if Micah's offer sounds good to you; go for it - I have to build an engine on short notice today and time is going to be difficult to manage- I'll still get that crossover on the UPS truck if you like; but Micah is in the USA already and his offer does sound incredibly nice-

miwise
07-20-10, 04:57 PM
Just let me know. It's going in thegarbage with any other extra parts from myold engine after I'm finished. Throwing away thewhole engine after I'm finished with it. Lol. Almost finished with my rebuilt engine. Going kinda slow bc I seem to be missing quite a few bolts. Very annoying. Theguy who was helping me didn't do too greats job keepingmy stufforganized as I had it. Everything In their own zip lock bags. Grrr. Lol!! I so can't wait to fireher up

tateos
07-21-10, 04:13 PM
Hey Micah - you should turn in the recyclable parts, especially the aluminum - you will even make a few bucks

jblivingston3
08-08-10, 02:56 PM
You broke off the aluminum, or bent the stamped steel lugs on the water pump?

BOTH! Sorry for the delay. I've been trying to wrestle the old one out w/o taking out the wiring harness. I'm down to one last bolt, beneath and to the rear of the water pump itself. Looks like I'll have to disconnect the harness at the ABS, etc., and boy, those connectors don't want to come off easily.

Been working on my own cars for more than 40 years. Should've know better than to use a cheater bar on an aluminum engine! Didn't see anything about the water pump loosening to the right until it was too late.

Let me see if the next guy still has that crossover available.

John the Miserable

tateos
08-09-10, 01:56 PM
I turned mine the wrong way one time also, but all I did was bend the tang(s) on the water pump - the housing was undamaged.

jblivingston3
08-16-10, 04:34 PM
Update: Micah very generously shipped me a good crossover. I've got the new waterpump in it and am trying to put it back in but am having lots of trouble getting the new, tight, heater (?) hose to slip on AND keep all the gaskets in place long enough to start the bolts in. I tried using some Hylomar to hold the gaskets, but it wasn't sticky enough (a fairly old tube). I tried just hanging them on the bolts, per the factory manual, but they'd still fall off more bolts than they stayed on.

Any tips on getting the gaskets to stay put while I slide the crossover in?

John

miwise
08-16-10, 06:18 PM
It's tricky. How about some rtv sealant like right stuff lightly applied? I didn't do that tho. I put the bolts in place then let them hold it in place. Then slid it in carefully.

jblivingston3
08-17-10, 10:18 AM
Thanks, Micah. I may try some RTV. Did you reinstall your crossover with the engine in the car, or out?

John

miwise
08-17-10, 08:00 PM
I did it with it out of the car. I didn't use rtv. I was just relaying what I've heard other people say. Verify it with Jake or someone. I just pushed the bolts just far enough through so that they would hang off the bolts and I could thread the things on...again with the engine out of the car it was easier. I'm sure you might have to use a light coating of rtv though. I would say be careful not to get it in the passages though. Maybe someone else can verify this with you. Looks like mine may have to come back out. Pretty disappointed in the guy who did all the engine work. Oh well. Just keep plugging at it. Its aggrevating but you will get it. Use common sense I would say. LOL.

jblivingston3
08-17-10, 09:23 PM
Tried some Permatex gasket adhesive and that worked fairly well. I had to reuse a piece of hose from somewhere else to get the crossover to connect to the black (heater?) pipe; the 5/8ths hose I had was just too small to get it to mate up in the tight space. Soooo, I'm pretty sure all the gaskets are in place, the hose is connected, and all bolts are started. I'll check it over with a mirror tomorrow before I torque everything down, as I'm not certain none of the gaskets got off track.

Just how many coolant tabs can I cram in there to offset my ham-fisted efforts at getting a good seal?

Heading out of town for a few days, so I won't be able to get it all back together and try to fire it up for another week, probably, but "I'm feeling bettah! I think I'll go for a walk."

John

Ranger
08-18-10, 12:00 AM
4 tabs should do it, 6 max. That crap tends to settle out and clog heater cores and radiators. Don't over due it. Solve one problem and cause another.

miwise
08-21-10, 09:20 PM
I didn't use any coolant tabs.

Ranger
08-21-10, 11:14 PM
Nor do I.

jblivingston3
09-17-10, 06:21 AM
It works! Thanks to Micah and others, I have a fully-functioning Deville again. I've put about 500 miles on it since finishing the coolant crossover replacement, and I've lost not one drop of coolant. I did put in the GM coolant tabs, but I don't think they'd mask any major leaks.

Not a fun job, to be sure, but it can be done with the engine in the car and with the wiring harness mostly just shoved this way and that, rather than being completely disconnected and pulled out of the way.

Thanks again for all the help. Were it not for this forum, one more DV would be on the scrap heap!

John