: Tire size question, winters

euroconvert_ctsV
07-15-10, 01:02 AM
Hi guys,

What do you think about putting 225s on the front stock wheels,and 265s on the rears....will they fit?
If that doesn't work will 265s work on the front?

I have Blizzak LM 25s from my Audi leftover, pretty much brand new, and I want to run them on the V. They are 19" and XL rated, 40 profile in the front and 35 in the rear.

(also, has anyone driven this car an entire winter, I mean really driven it through snow, on snow tires of course)

thanks

baabootoo
07-15-10, 02:02 AM
Yeah, they'll work fine. They're a tad smaller in diameter, but it won't matter. I'm going to run 225/50 and 245/45 18s in the winter and have no qualms about it. To me, the thinner the tire the better in snow!

Cub Cadet
07-15-10, 09:33 AM
Hi guys,

What do you think about putting 225s on the front stock wheels,and 265s on the rears....will they fit?
If that doesn't work will 265s work on the front?

I have Blizzak LM 25s from my Audi leftover, pretty much brand new, and I want to run them on the V. They are 19" and XL rated, 40 profile in the front and 35 in the rear.

(also, has anyone driven this car an entire winter, I mean really driven it through snow, on snow tires of course)

thanks

If you are using stock wheels, they will not be wide enough for the stock wheels. The factory tires are almost not wide enough to fit on the factory wheel width.

baabootoo
07-16-10, 01:51 AM
Best to check Tire Rack for confirmation.

BeagleBrains
07-18-10, 08:01 PM
Thanks for the 'winter tire' thread. I will be taking delivery of my V Coupe in about a month. I am researching winter tires for the new V.
We drive our 2004 CTS V all through Iowa's winter, except when the snow gets deep. Doesn't function well as a snow plow.
The Traction/Yaw control is very effective. The Yaw Control corrects quite well when making a turn, as long as you haven't been heroic with as little excess throttle.

Tedboss1
07-20-10, 10:17 AM
I have driven last winter on Pirrelli Sottos on the V are they were great.
I went with a standard factory tire sizes on my polished factory wheels.
Car was quite drivable considering that we get a lot of snow in Canada.
When conditions were really bad I use my wifes all wheel drive EX35.

shchow
07-20-10, 11:41 AM
It's probably less damaging to get a separate set of winter tires including rims.
Instead of ripping them off the stock OEMs twice a year to replace the summer tires on.
I have a set of Pirellis Snowsports 245/18s. Will find out later this fall to see if they will fit over front brakes.
Otherwise, will have to get a whole new set...

Moparman4444
07-20-10, 01:14 PM
Intersting thought about driving a V in the winter. From what I gathered last year the stock PS2 SUCK in anything less than 70 degree weather. I have had bald radials work better than the PS2 in 30 degree weather because of the tire compond.

I complement you on wanting to drive a nice performance car in the winter but this is not to be confused with a SUV type snow mobile. If you are determined on driving it then a new set of wheels and winter tires or at least year round tires would be the hot ticket. Blizzaks are the best but Continental has some interesting choices also.

dg144
07-20-10, 02:54 PM

I did the same but a second set of rims, OZ ultralegga for the winter, car ran great in snow

BeagleBrains
07-21-10, 12:34 PM
Intersting thought about driving a V in the winter.
I complement you on wanting [to drive] a nice performance car .. ... not to be confused with a SUV type snow mobile. ... then a new set of wheels and winter tires or at least year round tires would be the hot ticket. Blizzaks are the best but Continental has some interesting choices also.

"...determined on driving it. .." when the alternate vehicle in our garage is a Corvette. :hmm: Yup! Bought it, we are driving it! And, when it snows a foot or two, then the Jeep (with winter tires and specific rims) hits the road.
I am fascinated with black chrome wheels; the new wheels will probably become the primary fair weather set. Will mount the winter tires on the OEM wheels. Seeing everyone's personal experience is helping with our decision.

neuronbob
07-21-10, 01:23 PM
"determined on driving it"?

You betcha! I have a spare set of stock wheels with stock-sized Pirellis Sottozeros. This car does just fine during the winter....and I drove it through a particularly bad Cleveland winter, during which it snowed a majority of days between Christmas and mid-March. Use the right winter tires, have faith in Stabilitrak, don't hit boost when it snows, and you'll be just fine. :)

dvandentop
07-21-10, 02:54 PM
255 sottozeros worked great for me

Prof
07-21-10, 04:52 PM

Ditto!

The Sotto's and factory wheels are on the garage wall awaiting the first indications of snow...that may be next month here in northern Illinois!!!:mad: