: Auto owners, please speak your mind...

King335i
07-14-10, 10:07 PM
I've decided that I'm soon going to sell my BMW 335i Coupe and get the Cadillac CTS-V Coupe. Before I do so I want to be very sure to pick the right transmission, I don't want to regret my decision. I was wondering if the Auto owners could speak up and express any discontent they have with the automatic in the CTS-V. Can any of the issues I've read about (sluggish response time etc) be fixed by the W4ME tune? I'm no good with a manual, but I'm learning at the moment and could be well versed by the time of my purchase of the CTS-V Coupe, but if the auto isn't as bad as many say it is I may just end up going with that.

So, thoughts on the auto from owners? Would you buy the auto a second time around?

nsaness
07-14-10, 10:15 PM
Get a stick.
I had a 2007 V and now I have a 2010 automatic. I miss the stick. I must admit that the automatic still proves to be (slightly) faster at the dragstrip, but this engine would be/is SO MUCH FUN WITH A MANUAL TRANS: you can't believe it. Don't make the mistake I did. Go Manual Trans!

digital1021
07-14-10, 10:52 PM
Auto vs Manual Thread Number: 326

Simply put, there is no wrong choice, its mostly just preference.

Auto:
+Quicker 0-60
+Quicker 1/4mi
+Quicker around the 'ring
+Rev-Matched Shifts
=More comfort
=Sport Mode with Performance Algorithm Shifting (PAS), Performance Algorithm Lift-foot (PAL).
=Wheel Mounted Shift Buttons
- Lower Fuel Economy
- "Drive" mode holds 6th gear for ever
- Shift delay in Manual mode

Manual:
+Faster (Top Speed)
+Complete Control
+Shifts as fast as you are capable
=Better Fuel Economy
=Less Comfortable
- Shifts as fast as you are capable
- Mis-shifts
- Human Error

Either way, you will have a heck of a car.

~ Matt.

Gary Wells
07-14-10, 10:56 PM
Cad CTS-V2 automatic versus manual trans data (as of 05-16-2010):

Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual, fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9): Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00, 5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $1300, or half that of the A6
Faster by 16 MPH (191 MPH versus 175 MPH (governed))
A tad slower in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad better >mileage< than the *auto* but probably not significant
About 38 more RWHP than the auto on the average
About 30 more RWTQ that the *auto*
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto
No remote start feature
Has “no lift-shift” feature

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90 6 speed electronically controlled automatic overdrive with torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67, final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

Gas Guzzler (GG) tax of $2600, or twice that of the M6
Slower by 16 MPH (175 MPH (governed) versus 191 MPH)
A tad quicker in the 1/4 & on the street
A tad worse >mileage< than the manual but probably not significant
About 38 less RWHP than the manual on the average
About 30 less RWTQ that the manual on the average
About 95 lbs more that the manual
Remote start feature

About 1 in every 10 ’09 CTS-V’s were / are manual trans (M6)

Razorecko
07-14-10, 11:19 PM
I looooooooooooooove my stickshift V and have 0 Regrets. The manual on the 09/10 V's is butter smooth

neuronbob
07-14-10, 11:26 PM
...and here goes yet another thread on tranny choice.....you can tell we see these threads all the time. ;)

And I have no regrets whatsoever about my automatic. Love it especially after tuning.

OP, all you can do is drive both and figure out which is for you.

/thread :)

tedcmiller
07-14-10, 11:45 PM
I have the automatic transmission in my 2009 CTS-V and really like it. In fact my primary for trading was to get an auto. I started out not liking having to shift, although I had four cars with manual transmission previously, and ended up liking it even less. Shifting manually is a pain.

Luna.
07-15-10, 12:30 AM
Manual trans (M6): Tremec TR6060 6 speed manual, fully synchronized with single overdrive (MG9): Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 2.66, 2nd: 1.78, 3rd: 1.30, 4th: 1.00, 5th: 0.80, 6th: 0.63, final: 3.73, reverse: 2.90

About 38 more RWHP than the auto on the average
About 30 more RWTQ that the *auto*
About 95 lbs lighter that the auto

Automatic trans (A6): Hydra-matic 6L90 6 speed electronically controlled automatic overdrive with torque converter clutch (MYD): Gear ratios (:1) 1st: 4.03, 2nd: 2.36, 3rd: 1.53, 4th: 1.15, 5th: 0.85, 6th: 0.67, final: 3.23, reverse: 3.06

I don't think there's any question that once an auto-equipped V hits 3rd gear, the manual will be faster all the way to top speed (if the averages shown above hold true).

This may be important to some, as many "races" are entered into while already moving, especially on a freeway.

From a stop, I think the auto is easier/better to launch than the manual, resulting in the quicker/faster times. The gear multiplication advantage seems very strange to me...

I'd be harded pressed to recommend the manual if you want to drag race it a little--the auto seems significantly easier to launch! :)

nradcad
07-15-10, 12:49 AM
IMO, the weakest part of the entire car is the damn tranny.

I hate the auto. I'd never buy it again. The transmission sucks. If I didn't have a medical reason for buying the auto, I never would have purchased it. Now that I have, I have debated trading it in for a manual and dealing with excruciating daily pain to not drive the auto. You'll hate it.

I can't really believe anyone that has it really likes it. They only just put up with it. And the best option? Completely void your tranny warranty and have some tuner give you a more aggressive shift tune. Uh, ya. That makes perfect sense.

baabootoo
07-15-10, 12:51 AM
I've had the auto a little over a month and would NEVER get a stick! Unless you want the extra hassle of shifting, why bother? The people that complain about everything, including the shifting, complain just to complain; it's a message board. Every car will be different, every trans will be different, and all brakes will be different. If you want to drive the car, and concentrate on things besides shifting, get the auto. If you learn how YOUR car reacts and handles, it will be able to deliver well beyond your capabilities!

nradcad
07-15-10, 01:27 AM
I've had the auto a little over a month and would NEVER get a stick! Unless you want the extra hassle of shifting, why bother? The people that complain about everything, including the shifting, complain just to complain; it's a message board. Every car will be different, every trans will be different, and all brakes will be different. If you want to drive the car, and concentrate on things besides shifting, get the auto. If you learn how YOUR car reacts and handles, it will be able to deliver well beyond your capabilities!

A month huh?...wow - sounds like you got a lot of time in the car. Just give it time. That's all I'm gonna say. If you do any spirited driving at all, you are going to learn to absolutely hate it.

nradcad
07-15-10, 01:30 AM
And don't take offense friend. When I see a thread "Cadillac Forums: Auto owners, please speak your mind..." You bet I'm gonna. And I hardly complain to be complaining. This auto tranny isn't good, which is why some many people don't like it and there is a shifting tune for its sluggish nonsense.

sybersport
07-15-10, 01:49 AM
I'm not an auto-hater; I actually had a C4 in an old Mustang of mine (306, aluminum ported heads, Procharger with 14lbs boost, custom blower cam, yada yada...) The C4 banged into the next gear as soon as I clicked the shifter. It shook my teeth.

When I drove the Auto V, I was actually very disappointed. When I put it into manual mode, it actually started shifting through the gears on it's own. I sort of found this weird since I had hoped it would hold the gear until I shifted. Of course, it does hold the gear if you lean into it from a stop, but I still found it odd that it shifted on its own if you didn't apply much throttle. In any case, that part was minor compared to what I really didn't like... when you click the paddle, it takes a moment to hit the next gear. For me, this wasn't very satisfying.

To draw a quick comparison - I was also looking at an S5, and I took the auto for a drive. When I clicked the paddle shifter in that car, it felt like it shifted into the next gear before I was even done actuating the paddle. It actually felt like a manual, without a clutch. I don't think the tranny was that fancy, but it "felt" better.

In the end, I went with the manual (2011 sedan, gets delivered mid august.) I test drove a manual, and even slowly shifting through the gears, the car just felt much more "satisfying."

To each their own, but that's my take.

mugatu22
07-15-10, 01:58 AM
I'm hoping Cadillac wakes up & offers the Corvette & CTS-V in a dual clutch hydraulic automatic (clutch auto vs torque converter), though it's probably too cost prohibitive for GM's core audience. THAT would be the car to get.

King335i
07-15-10, 05:47 AM
Thanks for all your input guys, it really does help! Though now I'm even more conflicted than before! :confused:

I can understand those who say that I should drive both and decide, the thing is that I can't because even getting a CTS-V sedan around Eugene, Oregon is rare, and even more so a CTS-V Coupe. That's the facts and it sucks. :crying:

To put my situation into perspective, one of my first cars (aside from the beat up old toyota tacoma) was an Infiniti G35 with a slushbox. I loved it, but when I put it in manual mode the shifting took FOREVER. It moved very slow, and I grew very tired of that very fast and eventually just left it in D. Then, I moved up to a 335i with the ZF 6 speed auto and it is truly incredible. Its shifts are lightning fast and the amazing throttle blip it delivers upon downshift is spine-tingling good! My major concern from what I have read is that I will be downgrading again to the same experience I had with the automatic in the G35, you press the paddle, or move the shifter, and it lags for a noticeable amount of time. This doesn't happen in the 335i, the damn thing shifts like its life depends upon it and I love it. I can't even imagine what the M-DCT is like on a daily basis, must be orgasmic. Back to the point. I don't want to end up like I did with the G35, ready to get rid of a great car solely based upon the fact that I have to wait almost seconds before it shifts between gears. Like I said, the easy choice for me is auto, because it's just plain easier. The manual sounds great, and I've heard few complaints about it, which makes the whole situation even harder. The problem is, like I said, I'm no good with a stick. That can change over time, however my patience is fleeting and as I see more and more CTS-V Coupe videos popping up on youtube, (check them out, they're arriving at dealerships) I grow more and more anxious to purchase mine, which would leave me with an automatic.

What to do? :suspense:

neuronbob
07-15-10, 07:17 AM
That pretty much makes the decision for you. Get an automatic. Then do one of two things: keep the transmission in sport mode (crisper shifts and always starts in 1st gear, where tour mode starts in 2nd gear), or contact wait4me for the transmission tune. The tune leads to faster, more appropriate shifts.

cbloveday
07-15-10, 07:34 AM
I will say I am very happy with my auto. I truly believe this decision should be based upon preference. Do you want to row or not. I view this car as a luxury sport sedan. That being said, I want to relax and enjoy the cadillac ride, not be rowing it 100% of the time in Chicago traffic.

digital1021
07-15-10, 07:51 AM
Thanks for all your input guys, it really does help! Though now I'm even more conflicted than before! :confused:

I can understand those who say that I should drive both and decide, the thing is that I can't because even getting a CTS-V sedan around Eugene, Oregon is rare, and even more so a CTS-V Coupe. That's the facts and it sucks. :crying:

To put my situation into perspective, one of my first cars (aside from the beat up old toyota tacoma) was an Infiniti G35 with a slushbox. I loved it, but when I put it in manual mode the shifting took FOREVER. It moved very slow, and I grew very tired of that very fast and eventually just left it in D. Then, I moved up to a 335i with the ZF 6 speed auto and it is truly incredible. Its shifts are lightning fast and the amazing throttle blip it delivers upon downshift is spine-tingling good! My major concern from what I have read is that I will be downgrading again to the same experience I had with the automatic in the G35, you press the paddle, or move the shifter, and it lags for a noticeable amount of time. This doesn't happen in the 335i, the damn thing shifts like its life depends upon it and I love it. I can't even imagine what the M-DCT is like on a daily basis, must be orgasmic. Back to the point. I don't want to end up like I did with the G35, ready to get rid of a great car solely based upon the fact that I have to wait almost seconds before it shifts between gears. Like I said, the easy choice for me is auto, because it's just plain easier. The manual sounds great, and I've heard few complaints about it, which makes the whole situation even harder. The problem is, like I said, I'm no good with a stick. That can change over time, however my patience is fleeting and as I see more and more CTS-V Coupe videos popping up on youtube, (check them out, they're arriving at dealerships) I grow more and more anxious to purchase mine, which would leave me with an automatic.

While I completely agree that the Automatic is far from perfect, and also think a wet clutch would have been the way to go over a torque converter, it isn't the worst at shifting manually. It will be in no way as quick as the ZF in the BMW, at least not without programing, thought I can't say I would tune my car so...

More to the point, the 6L90E is a capable transmission, and while some may think of it as a horrible transmission, it isn't. If I was to approximate the time between commanding a manual shift and the shift actually taking place it would be about 300ms. It isn't slow, but hardly as quick as some other transmissions, and its due to programing.

I would like to point out that the transmission will hold a gear at redline until you shift, it will not upshift on its own while the transmission is in manual mode. However, just moving the gear lever to the "M" position only places the transmission in sport mode. To activate manual mode, you must then select a gear by either using the shift buttons or by moving the shifter forward or back.

For me, the only time I used manual mode was when driving spiritedly down country roads, we've got some good ones in central TX. In this instance, the reaction time from the transmission wasn't an issue. Otherwise, I would use Sport mode, or drive if I just wanted to relax. In fact, some people might not be aware of this, but you can actually shift down or up multiple gears in the same amount of time. To do this you just rapidly tap up or down to the gear you want, then the shift is completed complete with rev-matching. The gear indicator responds instantly to show the gear being selected, and the lag is only at the transmission. Why GM did it this way, I don't know, I have my theories but that isn't important.

You might consider trying out an auto CTS, they have a similar delay in changing gears to the V. The one big difference I have noticed, is that the CTS is a lot quicker going in to PAS or PAL modes than the CTS-V.

Hope this might be of some help.

~ Matt

MReiland
07-15-10, 08:36 AM
Unfortunately, there needs to be a better distinction between the automatic 'sucks.' and that the automatic shifts slower than some of the other technologies out on the market right now like the dual clutch autos or automated manuals. For now, it is what it is, a beefy unit, with truck roots, able to handle 550+ ft/lb of torque for 100,000+ miles. From what understand, it is the only thing in the parts bin that was available right now that can handle the output of this motor for the long haul. My uneducated guess is that you will see some of the new trans tech coming in the future but in the Gen I V MANY people complained that they wouldn't buy it because they didn't want to row the gears and there was no auto option. So they gave you guys an auto option and now it just isn't as fast of shifting as some of the other cars on the market, many with a MUCH lower torque rating. You can easily see what a tricky subject this is by looking at the quick / slick box in the GTR and all the problems it has had, very early in its expected life.

Umrswimr
07-15-10, 09:13 AM

I've driven the 335, so I can relate. If you're expecting a 335-like experience, you won't get it with this auto. It's far too slow to shift, even in manual mode. The manual-selected downshifts are slower than the Bimmer, but not bad. It does rev-match. The upshifts are what really turned me off. It's VERY easy to bang the limiter because the transmission didn't react fast enough. After one test drive, I knew I wanted the manual.

You're looking to drop $65k on a car. Drive (or fly) as far as you need to, but DRIVE THEM BOTH before you make a decision.

Cub Cadet
07-15-10, 09:28 AM
If you plan to modify the car in any way, go with the manual transmission. Factory automatics just cannot stand up to added strain that modifications bring. For some reason, the manual transmissions seem to hold up very well to anything.
I love my 6spd... I drive in traffic all day, every day and in 11k miles, I would not change it for anything. I have had so many bad experiences with automatics that I will never, ever have another one. JUNK!

Domsz06
07-15-10, 10:15 AM
I'm hoping Cadillac wakes up & offers the Corvette & CTS-V in a dual clutch hydraulic automatic (clutch auto vs torque converter), though it's probably too cost prohibitive for GM's core audience. THAT would be the car to get.
I second that! I plan on keeping my cts-v for 100k+ but if they make a DCT with the LSA I'll be buying it! I LOVE my friends M3 with the DCT!!

COME ON GM, GIVE US A DCT!

Domsz06
07-15-10, 10:23 AM
This auto transmission has handled up to 650 hp with no issues. How much more do you need?

I have an auto in my z06 and I love it. It bangs through the gears, and will handle up to about 700 hp with no issues and when you go higher then that you run the risk.

Auto's can handle the power, they just have to be built. But then again how many people are going to push more then 650+ on this car? Not everyone is.

The auto is very nice compared to other auto's, so the choice is yours, but You need to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. The bmw isnt' an auto. It's a DCT. TWO TOTALLY different things. I have no issues with my auto, but I also just got the car last week. It looks like I may however get the tune from wait4me when I start modding the car, guess we will see.

ruben
07-15-10, 11:44 AM
Coming from owning and infiniti myself this transmission feels the same as a G35. Get the 6peed I feel the weakest point of my car is the automatic.

Umrswimr
07-15-10, 11:54 AM
This auto transmission has handled up to 650 hp with no issues. How much more do you need?

I have an auto in my z06 and I love it. It bangs through the gears, and will handle up to about 700 hp with no issues and when you go higher then that you run the risk.

Auto's can handle the power, they just have to be built. But then again how many people are going to push more then 650+ on this car? Not everyone is.

The auto is very nice compared to other auto's, so the choice is yours, but You need to compare apples to apples, not apples to oranges. The bmw isnt' an auto. It's a DCT. TWO TOTALLY different things. I have no issues with my auto, but I also just got the car last week. It looks like I may however get the tune from wait4me when I start modding the car, guess we will see.
They don't make an auto Z06, so I assume that was a conversion?

shchow
07-15-10, 12:08 PM
I came from E60 M5 with SMG. Shifting was lightning fast and instantaneous.
I've driven the dual clutched trannies...M-DCT, PDK. I found them a little too smooth. I could not feel the transitions between gears.
I like the slight "push" that the single-clutch automated manuals give to your butt.
Having said that, the auto in the CTS-V is definitely slower when manually selecting the gears. But you adapt to the car and it is fine.
You are fortunate enough to experience different cars and form an opinion on how the different cars feel/behave.
I am of the mindset that you adapt/adjust to the car, and not vice versa.
If you modify different cars to the same performance spec every time, then you might as well keep the same car forever. You homogenize (not sure if this is actually a word) the driving experience. Not that there is anything wrong with modding your car. Just my opinion.
You don't edit a movie to suit your preferences. You simply watch it and walk away with an opinion whether you liked it or not, and whether or not you would watch it again...

LFTW8S
07-15-10, 12:42 PM
I'm a new owner
I got the auto
I've never missed a shift :thumbsup:
I didn't even think about getting the stick "FOR THIS CAR!"

This is a multi purpose car (Lux ride/track car) so I wanted a multi purpose tranny. It's your choice get what makes you happy!

Razorecko
07-15-10, 12:57 PM
Jesse/w4me basically says around 650hp/tq in the auto its time to think of building it up as life is decreased. In the manual he said the stock clutch is good to around 700hp and the 6spd tremec is solid to about 1000hp. I think op's concern is will he enjoy the manual since he is a relatively new stickshift driver. It sounds like you have the basic knowledge under your belt and don't drive like an @ss. In that regard i would say get the manual because if you get the auto you'll never really get the time needed with a stick to get a solid feel for it. Some people like me that commute hours a day and most likely have borderline add from the traffic need something to keep my mind of things and the manual is perfect for that. Imho these times are the slow end of true manual transmission cars. They will not get much better than this before they are dumped for dual clutch systems. That is a true shame....oh and do you know how many times i had someone look into my car and go "holy sh*T, its a stick ! "....and not too mention the girls find it hot....( good if you're young and single )...small things like this swayed me over to get a stick ( not the girl part....< checking if wife is behind me > ) instead of an auto

TMC CL65
07-15-10, 01:05 PM
For the first 16+ years of driving all my cars were manuals (including various Mustangs and an E39 BMW M5). Now for the past 5 years all my cars have been automatics. It is a matter of convenience. As a daily driver, I can't deal with a manual anymore. My last manual was the M5. When I got the M5 I lived in the suburbs around NYC and took a commuter train into Manhattan every day. So I pretty much only drove the car on the weekends in non-rush hour conditions. Nowadays (living in DC Metro area), I have about a 30-45 minute commute by car to go less than 10 miles from my house. The 15-20mph average speed in stop and go traffic would just be torture with a manual. If I had the same situation in NY, I would be rowing a 6 speed manual on the CTS-V, instead it is an automatic for me.

With that said, I can compare the CTS-V automatic with a couple of the other cars that I have owned: Audi RS6 5 speed tiptronic, Jeep SRT8 5 speed, and MB CL65 AMG 5 speed "speedshift".

The RS6's tiptronic had real "paddle flippers" on the steering wheel, as opposed to the buttons on the CTS-V. Shifts were pretty quick and smooth. The down side was at the time it was only a 5 speed tranny and the RS6 made "only" 415lbs-ft of torque. Many people who moddified their RS6 found the tranny to be a very weak link. The tiptronic was pretty much at its limit stock.

The Jeep and CL65 used very similar MB developed 5 speed trannys. However, the CL65's was strengthened to handle the stock 738lbs-ft of torque (most stock ones put down 620-640rwtq). It also had the steering wheel buttons. The CTS-V seems to shift a bit slower. However, the CTS-V has the nice matched rev feature and also has a 6th gear. I have also driven a CTS-V with a tuned TCM and found the shifts to be faster and better than the CL65's. Overall, the CTS-V's auto was probably better than the CL65's, especially if the TCM is tuned.

Tom

Luna.
07-15-10, 01:49 PM
The manual sounds great, and I've heard few complaints about it, which makes the whole situation even harder.

What complaints have you heard again?

The only complaint I can recall is that it's, "too much of a pain to shift in traffic." Sorry, but that's just funny to me.

Firstly, that's clearly just someone venting for a poor decision in my mind. I mean, you KNOW that's going to be an issue with a manual, so how on earth can one complain about it? You KNEW it going in!!

Some people are just very strange...

Now, if we are talking about the manual trans in the V1, THAT'S a different story. In the V2? It's REALLY nice, one of the best/smoothest shifting American transmissions I've driven in a performance car.

The problem is, like I said, I'm no good with a stick. That can change over time...

Ah-ha. Now this is a different issue to me.

In all honesty, I wouldn't worry about this, for you'll learn so fast, you won't even believe it.

From what I read in your posts, I do agree that it's going to be a hard decision. It seems that you'd clearly be happiest if the auto in the V shifted ultra-fast, in accordance with your expectations. However, there seems to be some uncertainty surrounding that and you are nervous about the alternative being the right answer (tha manual transmission). And it doesn't sound like you really want the manual anyways.

I will say this though---if your only concern is that you aren't very good with a stick, let me tell you, I wouldn't hesitate about purchasing a manual in the V. It has SO MUCH TORQUE, driving it is pretty easy. I mean, you can be in the wrong gear 1/2 the time and the car will pull almost effortlessly regardless.

Do you plan on this car being your DD? Do you want to have a road course king? Drag strip? None of the above?

Luna.
07-15-10, 02:00 PM
I've driven the 335, so I can relate. If you're expecting a 335-like experience, you won't get it with this auto. It's far too slow to shift, even in manual mode. The manual-selected downshifts are slower than the Bimmer, but not bad. It does rev-match. The upshifts are what really turned me off. It's VERY easy to bang the limiter because the transmission didn't react fast enough. After one test drive, I knew I wanted the manual.

Funny. Some on here argue vehemently that the auto shifts faster because it's computer controlled and it just isn't possible for a manual to be faster.

Pardon me while I bite my tongue trying to stop laughing...

You're looking to drop $65k on a car. Drive (or fly) as far as you need to, but DRIVE THEM BOTH before you make a decision.

Excellent advice

Domsz06
07-15-10, 02:15 PM
They don't make an auto Z06, so I assume that was a conversion?
that is correct. I can no longer drive manuals due to an accident, and since the z06 was my baby/dream car I didn't want to loose her ;)

2baddogs
07-15-10, 02:16 PM
This is my first perf car with an auto. Ive had the car for 2 months and literally wonder about the tranny every time I drive it, which probably speaks volumes. However, I did not buy this car to track, just to have some fun so the Auto works for me and I would probably go with it again.

Its not horrible but I do see areas for improvement and I am currently trying to determine whats up with the shift to third gear under hard acceleration. Seems like the car falls on its face during the shift, I havent seen the Nanny light during the shift but it does feel like the traction control kicks in. I have yet to experience it with tc turned off. I also noticed that it occurs usually when the car has been running for less than a few minutes (pullng out of a parking lot) so wondering if its a fluid issue (low fluid from factory reported in other threads or cold fluid not circulating prop). Ive checked the fluid and it and it actually flows out instead of dripping out as the thread describes is the proper fluid level. Might be overfilled?

I, too, am hoping that the Wait4me tune firms up the performance, Ive heard it does. Im going to wait a few thousand more miles before getting it to allow the gremlins to shake out if there are any. Might try a fluid swap to synthetic as well, that way I know the level is correct.

I have found driving in "sport" mode def helps the torque converter locking up wierdness.

gnxs
07-15-10, 02:45 PM
Funny. Some on here argue vehemently that the auto shifts faster because it's computer controlled and it just isn't possible for a manual to be faster.
With regards to that discussion, there's a difference between:

a) how long it takes the trans to react to a shift request when in M mode
b) how long it takes to actually perform the gear change (i.e. once it's begun)

We all know it takes "forever" for the trans to execute a shift when a manual request is made (especially on an "untuned" trans), while the actual shift occurs in milliseconds or somewhere thereabouts.

King 335i,

You'll really need to drive both or you'll risk being unhappy...regardless of choice. There really isn't a definitive answer and everybody here uses their cars for different purposes. Only YOU know how to rank your various priorities to make an informed decision.

IMO it's a great car with either trans.

Luna.
07-15-10, 03:01 PM
With regards to that discussion, there's a difference between:

a) how long it takes the trans to react to a shift request when in M mode
b) how long it takes to actually perform the gear change (i.e. once it's begun)

We all know it takes "forever" for the trans to execute a shift when a manual request is made (especially on an "untuned" trans), while the actual shift occurs in milliseconds or somewhere thereabouts.

Note that my comment wasn't directed to you specifically, but...

That's very interesting.

I'm curious as to why this distinction wasn't mentioned in that discussion then.

It seemed pretty clear to me that many were claiming that the auto flat out shifted faster, but now it seems that it only may shift faster when discussing the actual shift itself, not the request.

I'd simply ask, what difference does it make where the slower part occurs? There comes a point when you want the car to shift--which trans does that quicker?

I don't know--seems pretty dubious to me.

I say the following so as to have their be no misunderstanding, for certain individuals read only what they want to read and/or are reading impaired...

This is NOT a knock against auto transmissions in any way, shape, or form.

King 335i,

You'll really need to drive both or you'll risk being unhappy...regardless of choice. There really isn't a definitive answer and everybody here uses their cars for different purposes. Only YOU know how to rank your various priorities to make an informed decision.

IMO it's a great car with either trans.

Good comments and I agree. Hard to go wrong with either

gnxs
07-15-10, 03:20 PM
I'd simply ask, what difference does it make where the slower part occurs? There comes a point when you want the car to shift--which trans does that quicker?
Since I almost always drive and race my car in "Sport" Mode (letting the transmission do the shifting), the delay in requesting a gear change is not an issue for me or anybody else that let's the computer control the shifting. My trans shifts instantaneously at redline every time. I've never driven an M6 "V" to see firsthand how quickly I can execute gear changes.

However, a guy that road races his car would likely want to use "M" Mode at the track and would likely have an issue with how poorly it responds (i.e. it takes seemingly forever to shift) in that mode.

Tedboss1
07-15-10, 03:31 PM
Just to "add fuel to the fire" I always thought that with automatic you are never in the wrong gear.
:stirpot:

mugatu22
07-15-10, 04:07 PM
Just to "add fuel to the fire" I always thought that with automatic you are never in the wrong gear.

:histeric:

Luna it's my opinion that the auto trans shifts faster on average, meaning the moment the gear change is mechanically initiated to the time it is completed and the trans is in the next gear. Nothing to do with how quickly it occurs after pressing the upshift button, which is another issue altogether. Simply that the engagement is faster over the course of a driving session than a manual due to the human error factor. Although I will say that the V's slushbox auto shifts on the slow side of things nowadays with DCS hydro automatics cracking off shifts in 100ms or so. That's just faster than any human can do on a regular basis.

In a PDK or DSC trans (like found in the 911 Turbo or '11 E63) it's even more of a difference. The gear changes are nearly instantaneous (YouTube it, it's pretty awesome) and they are fast and perfect every time with rev matching. Another reason I'm hoping Cadillac & GM listen to these message boards and consider a DSC trans for the '12 V.

I have no doubt that I've shifted faster with a manual than most automatics could...a few times. Doing it repeatedly and consistently is where "the machines" kick our human butts :)

shchow
07-15-10, 04:27 PM

I will disagree with this assessment.
When I am in sport auto mode, the car is frequently 1 or 2 gears higher than I want it to be.
An example is when slowing down, I see that the car is still in 5th or 6th gear when I would have downshifted to 3rd or 2nd by then...

chopmeat
07-15-10, 04:39 PM
I love the Auto and even the little paddle shifters.
I came out of an '06 Z06 6 speed with 650 hp and am glad to have this V with auto.

nradcad
07-15-10, 07:44 PM
Unfortunately, there needs to be a better distinction between the automatic 'sucks.' ....

damn I wish I had time to respond to this thread right now because I'll be happy to enumerate all of my dislikes with this transmission. And sure, maybe there is a difference between - the tranny's gonna fall apart (which could be debatable with all the heating issues, and factory fluid fill problems) and the programming is gawd aweful. However it is all a package deal - and as a package - it sucks.

DrPick
07-15-10, 08:25 PM
my 2 cents...

I love manuals. I have driven a manual for the past 20 years. But once I'm stuck in boston traffic, I HATE the manual. The simple fact is, we will be stuck in traffic alot more than not, unless you live in the boonies. I actually got stuck in a 6 hour jam on Long Island and worked the clutch so much that I got a raging case of plantar fasciitis in my left foot. I couldnt walk normally for 3 months after that.

This car is sheer fun. I do have a few issues with the auto, but last weekend, when I was in traffic, I didn't miss the manual.

I don't intend on bringing this car to the track. It is my daily. I did get the tune for the auto...

So it all depends on your needs. If you are not in traffic much, and want to track the car, or are a fundamental purist, a manual V is the way to go.

MReiland
07-16-10, 07:52 AM
damn I wish I had time to respond to this thread right now because I'll be happy to enumerate all of my dislikes with this transmission. And sure, maybe there is a difference between - the tranny's gonna fall apart (which could be debatable with all the heating issues, and factory fluid fill problems) and the programming is gawd aweful. However it is all a package deal - and as a package - it sucks.
Ouch.:cool:

TMC CL65
07-16-10, 11:15 AM

Everything is relative. You speak of a medical condition that prohibits you from driving a manual car...what is your experience with automatics? Your opinion may be scewed....where ALL automatics "suck".

As I mentioned before, the CTS-V's automatic is actually pretty good in comparison to the 5 speed AMG transmission. You can click the AMG buttons to shift and finish a crossword puzzle before it decides to shift (okay...slight exaggeration). I would rather have a tranny that is a little sluggish if it means it is more reliable and is built as stout as the CTS-V's (or the AMG for that matter). I know plenty of MB owners who have had problems with the new MCT tranny, BMW owners with SMG problems and let's not even talk about other exotic cars with F1/Cambiocorsa/e-gear transmissions. Not only are they prone to failure....once out of warranty they can easily be $10K+ rebuilds.

Our automatics are much more reliable....and a heck of lot cheaper to replace. They are "average" at worst and "very good" at best when compared to other automatics for high performance cars....

Tom

MReiland
07-16-10, 11:20 AM

Are people seeing Trans Overheat problems or is it just the Rear Diff at track events that we are talking about?

snzuloz
07-16-10, 11:24 AM
Man the auto must shift pretty slow to be able to consistently outperform the manual version! :histeric: I love the auto, it's the best of both worlds, you can casually cruise around and never even feel the shifts, or slip it into sport mode and have some fun, sure it's not the same as a manual, but if you want to row the gears buy one and be done with it. I'll agree that the trans could use a better factory tune (upshifting into sixth so early) but i'm guessing that had everything to do with mileage concerns. It's all up to the owners preference, drive them both and decide for yourself...

Razorecko
07-16-10, 11:26 AM
^ MR, its just the rear diff overheating on heavy track time. Like it was mentioned before its pretty sad when all middle eastern V's/ Dubai V's have the rear diff cooler and for us its a $3k option. Chicago summers with humidity or Arizona 110+ Temps can be just as serious as any desert heat. The V's should come in a special "track package" from the factory....stickshift, no sunroof, recaro's, beefed up heat exchanger, lighter weighted wheels, two peice rotors / slotted drilled, rear diff cooler, rear diffuser, and a cool color combo for the wheels/brakes would be a nice setup.

gnxs
07-16-10, 11:35 AM
The V's should come in a special "track package" from the factory....stickshift, no sunroof, recaro's, beefed up heat exchanger, lighter weighted wheels, two peice rotors / slotted drilled, rear diff cooler, rear diffuser, and a cool color combo for the wheels/brakes would be a nice setup.
Now we're talkin'. :thumbsup:

TMC CL65
07-16-10, 11:45 AM
^ MR, its just the rear diff overheating on heavy track time. Like it was mentioned before its pretty sad when all middle eastern V's/ Dubai V's have the rear diff cooler and for us its a $3k option. Chicago summers with humidity or Arizona 110+ Temps can be just as serious as any desert heat. The V's should come in a special "track package" from the factory....stickshift, no sunroof, recaro's, beefed up heat exchanger, lighter weighted wheels, two peice rotors / slotted drilled, rear diff cooler, rear diffuser, and a cool color combo for the wheels/brakes would be a nice setup.

I think MR mentioned before that Middle Eastern V's prices also reflected the inclusion of the rear diff cooler. Those that want it can pay the extra $3K option...those that don't get to save $3K out of their pocket. I don't see how flexibility is necessarily a bad thing.

As far as the other stuff, there is a decently healthy aftermarket that provides owners with an abundance of choices to tailor our cars to our individual preferences. Yes, it would be nice to just tick a box and order it from the factory. However, I imagine that sort of flexibility would drive up the cost of even the base CTS-V without any options. As this would cause changes in the assembly line process, create niche lines and other things that draws additional manpower and time in production. Porsche is notorious for doing this and offers every option imaginable. However, the price they charge for those sort of things (sport chrono, color matched wheels, RS packages, ceramic brakes..etc.) as well as the original base car... are quite inflated.

Tom

Luna.
07-16-10, 03:41 PM
Man the auto must shift pretty slow to be able to consistently outperform the manual version! :histeric:

Outstanding Strawman argument!!

Bravo!!

You should be so proud.

:helpless:

snzuloz
07-16-10, 04:11 PM
Outstanding Strawman argument!!

Bravo!!

You should be so proud.

:helpless:

couldn't help myself, must be the different gearing huh! Whatever... some people never get it, just stating my opinions (they are mine to add) if you like the manual that's awesome, just stating what i like about the auto. And yes i am proud, thanks. LunaTIC!

Razorecko
07-17-10, 08:45 AM
whatever you get as long as youre happy, its all good

King335i
07-17-10, 06:22 PM
Thanks for all your input, I really got an idea of what to expect and a slew of opinions from both sides of the spectrum.

At this point I may just end up with the auto and the W4ME transmission tune. If I get more practice time with the manual and feel more comfortable driving a manual as my daily driver I may opt for the stick. Can't decide! But really, you've all helped a great deal, thanks again!

JFJr
07-17-10, 08:06 PM
Thanks for all your input, I really got an idea of what to expect and a slew of opinions from both sides of the spectrum.

At this point I may just end up with the auto and the W4ME transmission tune. If I get more practice time with the manual and feel more comfortable driving a manual as my daily driver I may opt for the stick. Can't decide! But really, you've all helped a great deal, thanks again!Practice makes perfect and who knows, you may decide that the manual transmission is not so bad after all. Modern manual tramsmissions and clutches are quite different than decades ago. It really depends on your driving philosophy and what you encounter day to day. What puts a smile on your face and draws you into the car more than normal transportation needs? Think about it.

Jud

mugatu22
07-17-10, 08:34 PM
couldn't help myself, must be the different gearing huh! Whatever... some people never get it, just stating my opinions (they are mine to add) if you like the manual that's awesome, just stating what i like about the auto. And yes i am proud, thanks. LunaTIC!

LOL

You guys, you guys. :want:

nradcad
07-18-10, 01:33 PM
now we're talkin'. :thumbsup:

yes!!

nradcad
07-18-10, 01:45 PM
Are people seeing Trans Overheat problems or is it just the Rear Diff at track events that we are talking about?

My bad - though one would have to agree it's a little confusing since you get a read out of 'Trans Temp' - and when that gets over 100C or so, you get a warning to slow down - but the issue is really with the rear diff. :hmm:

Something I'm starting to realize is my issue with this transmission might be related to low fluid level. I've talked with some tranny guys and they say what I'm experiencing might be caused from that. I'm gonna make an appt at dealer to get it looked at.

tbss08
07-18-10, 02:00 PM
My last four sports cars have been manuals:

96 Grandsport, shifted smooth but long throws.

04 Z06, smooth transmission but ran out of first quick, long throws and a little notchy.

07 Z06, just a little notchy the shifter could have been better. Factory defective clutch, pressure plate. They were warped and started me down the dealership road to hell.

08 Z06. Trans started out smooth then went bad quick. Very notchy when cold, ground gears for the first 20-30 miles when temps were below 55 degrees. Car went back to GM on Lemon Law.

So far with the auto I have no complaints with the V. It might not shift in a split second and slam my teeth into the back of my head each shift but it is a luxury sport vehicle. The only complaint I hear is from the other car drivers about how fast the car disappeared.
With the amount of torque and HP the V has you have to cushion it somehow. How long would the differential, driveshaft or u-joints last if each shift was the equivalent of hitting the components with a jack hammer? Mechanical components will only withstand so much abuse before they eventually break. The term "Cyclic Fatigue" comes to mind on failure modes. Yeah it could be engineered out, but do you want to pay the cost?

Just my .02 cents worth.

Razorecko
07-18-10, 02:18 PM
My last four sports cars have been manuals:

96 Grandsport, shifted smooth but long throws.

04 Z06, smooth transmission but ran out of first quick, long throws and a little notchy.

07 Z06, just a little notchy the shifter could have been better. Factory defective clutch, pressure plate. They were warped and started me down the dealership road to hell.

08 Z06. Trans started out smooth then went bad quick. Very notchy when cold, ground gears for the first 20-30 miles when temps were below 55 degrees. Car went back to GM on Lemon Law.

So far with the auto I have no complaints with the V. It might not shift in a split second and slam my teeth into the back of my head each shift but it is a luxury sport vehicle. The only complaint I hear is from the other car drivers about how fast the car disappeared.
With the amount of torque and HP the V has you have to cushion it somehow. How long would the differential, driveshaft or u-joints last if each shift was the equivalent of hitting the components with a jack hammer? Mechanical components will only withstand so much abuse before they eventually break. The term "Cyclic Fatigue" comes to mind on failure modes. Yeah it could be engineered out, but do you want to pay the cost?

Just my .02 cents worth.

...of course there will always be something than can be changed on a certain manual shifting car. Just like every auto could be a little better.

nradcad
07-18-10, 02:25 PM
Everything is relative. You speak of a medical condition that prohibits you from driving a manual car...what is your experience with automatics? Your opinion may be scewed....where ALL automatics "suck".

As I mentioned before, the CTS-V's automatic is actually pretty good in comparison to the 5 speed AMG transmission. You can click the AMG buttons to shift and finish a crossword puzzle before it decides to shift (okay...slight exaggeration). I would rather have a tranny that is a little sluggish if it means it is more reliable and is built as stout as the CTS-V's (or the AMG for that matter). I know plenty of MB owners who have had problems with the new MCT tranny, BMW owners with SMG problems and let's not even talk about other exotic cars with F1/Cambiocorsa/e-gear transmissions. Not only are they prone to failure....once out of warranty they can easily be $10K+ rebuilds.

Our automatics are much more reliable....and a heck of lot cheaper to replace. They are "average" at worst and "very good" at best when compared to other automatics for high performance cars....

Tom

Really I'm just pissed that I can't drive manuals anymore and I spend a lot of time on the track - so maybe I'm too hard on this tranny because of that. I've never owned an auto, this is my first. My wife has had an auto firebird, and now xterra, so I do know what driving an auto is like.

I had driven all BMWs before this (5spd 325, 6spd 330 ZHP and my M3 was an SMG II.) - except for my 2001 CamaroSS 6spd - (gawd I miss that car).
I know BMW had issues with the SMG II, but I never had one problem and I tracked the car a lot. I just really miss the way that car shifted and I need to remind myself this transmission is not that.

The delay in the auto is utterly annoying and unbearable. Depending on speed and gear it can be up to ~2 seconds (I've measured this repeatedly) from the time one presses the paddle shifter (shall I dare call it that?) to when the gear engages. Both up and down. And it seems to vary too. What ends up happening is it's almost impossible to time shifts so you don't hit the rev limit - which causes to the car to fart violently and kills power for a bit. And generally isn't a good thing to do. Similarly, down shifting takes way too damn long.

But honestly, let's forget the delay for a second. When I track the car in sport mode (not manually shifting), the car consistently hits the rev limit shifting. :hmm: Wha? Seriously?! It's shifting itself and it STILL hits the rev limit! C'mon! Seems to occur most between 3rd and 4th. Doesn't make any sense to me.

When I'm driving around town, the car is constantly in 6th gear - another serious annoyance. (Ya, ya, ya, gas mileage) Bullsh!t! I already paid a $2600 gas guzz tax and get 12 mpg so why keep it in 6th all then time? What the consequence of this is, whenever I want to punch it and take off, IT TAKES FOREVER and a DAY to downshift and get going.

So then the alternative is to use the manual shift mode all the time (which I do) so I can keep the car in the gear I want. So driving around with this setup, the car is always lurching. I'll accelerate, shift the car and then the car lurches forward, mainly 2-3.

So then eventually, I'll stop using the manual mode, because i get annoyed with it and what I find in just plain ole normal lazy auto mode is it will seem to "search" for a gear sometimes. I'll start to accelerate and the car will up shift and then shift down and then back up again. This isn't a all the time occurrence, but when it happens, I just roll my eyes and cuss this transmission.

I just wish I had a damn manual is all.

My assessment is GM didn't quite know what to do with this auto. They wanted it marketed as a race bred, Ring inspired, Euro fighter - but honestly didn't want to put the necessary resources into backing that up. (reference Reiland's comment - "they threw a truck tranny in it, cause that could handle the torque AND GM had it 'lying around.")

The solution - VOID my tranny warranty and get it tuned with an aftermarket shop so what it stops the factory tuned BS. Ya, great idea - which I'll do and then when something happens I'm gonna get the ole - well you shouldn't have screwed with it from the dealer.

Razorecko
07-18-10, 02:38 PM
a new v coupe owner said that his V had an improved shifting program/system. Maybe if the did it outright for the coupe they'll have a software update soon for the auto.

nradcad
07-18-10, 04:22 PM
a new v coupe owner said that his V had an improved shifting program/system. Maybe if the did it outright for the coupe they'll have a software update soon for the auto.

Ya I posted on that thread and ask if that was transferrable to the sedan. I would welcome a FACTORY based aggressive shift tune.

DrPick
07-18-10, 07:17 PM
Ya I posted on that thread and ask if that was transferrable to the sedan. I would welcome a FACTORY based aggressive shift tune.

I think most of us auto owners would welcome that. :alchi:

V&Vette
07-18-10, 08:52 PM
I also own a 335i currently as well as a 2010 V. My opinion to the OP is that the car doesn't shift that poorly for me. Not sure why but they are mostly quick and precise. Takes some getting used to but I'm liking. If you want quicker go with the Wait4me tune from Jesse and an airaid (for sound). Coming from the 335i, its a huge step as far as speed and feel. To me, the 335 is very tame and controlled. This car though can be tame.....and then a complete animal. I purchased an auto as my 335 is also such. Practice makes perfect and the paddle shifters in my opinion, are a lot of fun. I also prefer the placement to that of the 335i. Either way, you're making a great decision as its a huge upgrade!

Some will debate the quality inside but to each their own. I have some positives and negatives regarding that matter which isn't the point of the overall thread. To note though, my drivers seat is starting to squeak.

mbshoe
07-20-10, 03:47 PM
To put my situation into perspective, one of my first cars (aside from the beat up old toyota tacoma) was an Infiniti G35 with a slushbox. I loved it, but when I put it in manual mode the shifting took FOREVER. It moved very slow, and I grew very tired of that very fast and eventually just left it in D. Then, I moved up to a 335i with the ZF 6 speed auto and it is truly incredible. Its shifts are lightning fast and the amazing throttle blip it delivers upon downshift is spine-tingling good! My major concern from what I have read is that I will be downgrading again to the same experience I had with the automatic in the G35, you press the paddle, or move the shifter, and it lags for a noticeable amount of time.

I owned an auto G35 for 14 months before moving to the manual CTS-V. If not for the horribly slow, annoying, lurching, transmission in the G35, I'd still have the car (and much more $$ in the bank!). It was a wonderful car, but for the transmission. nradcad's post #60 in this thread describing his auto-V pretty much describes the G35's auto which you and I have both driven. If the G35 drove you nuts, and mine did, DO NOT GET THE AUTOMATIC-V. You'll hate it, and you'll hate yourself for making the mistake. If you can't (or don't want to) deal with a manual, then much as I hate to say it, you should consider another vehicle. Based on your G35 experiences, I promise the auto (which other people are fine with) will drive you crazy. Don't do it.

Yes, I love manual transmissions. The only auto I've been semi-pleased with was on a '95 Volvo 850 Turbo. At 65mph in sport mode, if you mashed the pedal down, it would instantly drop two gears, no need for paddles. Only auto I've ever driven that would aggressively downshift. Ironically, it sucked at stop-n-go as it hunted through 1st/2nd/3rd. I used to turn on 'snow mode' for stop-no-go traffic as it forced the transmission to stay in 2nd.

CopperSunburstCTS
07-21-10, 12:20 AM
If it is your daily driver, while it may not be perfect, the delays and mentioned imperfections in the auto are easier to put up with than shifting in heavy or busy traffic. If it is not your daily driver, i say get the manual for the fun of interacting with your car and adding a "skill" factor, it adds so much more of a sporty flair to the driving experience, and having a Caddy with a stick is just too cool! You will love the looks, shock, and comments you will get from non-car people that think Caddys are still just the sloppy sofa-mobiles, haha (I had a manual in my 2003 CTS). However, if it was me, and if it was my daily driver, in my area and with what I am willing to put up with, I would get the automatic because the negatives of the manual would outwight the positives. Turns out I wanted a manual so bad that I decided to get my Coupe-V with a manual and I am getting a 2nd car as a quieter and more comfy daily driver.

I have a Vette with an auto that i used quite a bit to and from work and also on beach trips, and there are many times that I wish it was a manual around town, but thinking back to the heavy traffic and the constant stop lights and signs and I have to say (in my case) I am glad I got the auto.

Razorecko
07-21-10, 12:11 PM
eh, i drive in heavy chicago traffic and the manual on the V is not much of a problem

nradcad
07-22-10, 09:50 AM
eh, i drive in heavy chicago traffic and the manual on the V is not much of a problem

:werd:...would if I could.

SRT8/BMW
07-22-10, 04:51 PM
I also have the 335, and for the record...best tranny ever in an auto with paddles. Either on its own in auto, or in manual mode with you using paddles..shifts are instant and smooth.

As for the V--had my heart set on a manual--until I drove both at Monticello track in that event Caddy put on.

Absolutely fell in love with how well the auto did in up shifting, down shifting, and holding the right gear in sport mode. was flawless.

Now if you are paddle shifting (or should I say using the buttons--) that is a little slow. But if you want a tranny that shifts really well in competitive driving (strip or track) go auto. and if you want it even crisper--get a TCM tune as I did.